Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Looking around I found this. I didn’t read the entire document.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/ope...y/busregs1.pdf

Maybe it failed inspection? The DMV might tell you if you have the VIN.

(D) Motor vehicles failing to meet the inspection standards of the department as contained in the Out-of- Service criteria listed in Section 720.11 shall be declared and marked out-of-service by the Department inspector placing an “Out-of-Service Vehicle” Sticker on the windshield. Vehicles marked with an Out-of-Service Sticker shall not be operated with passengers until the defects noted have been repaired and checked by a department inspector. The out-of-service sticker shall be removed only by the department inspector certifying that the vehicle is safe to operate and issuing a valid certificate of inspection. “Out -of-Service Vehicle” stickers shall only be valid for 15 days after issuance for the purpose of moving the vehicle on public roadways for the purpose of repairing the vehicle. In the case where the department inspector determines that the motor vehicle may not be operated safely on a public highway without first being repaired, the inspector also shall place a “Highway Operation Prohibited” sticker on the windshield. Such vehicle shall not be operated until the critical safety defect(s) identified by the department inspector is repaired.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Might be a good time to offer him a lowball $$amount to make it yours.

The motocross motif should be easy enough to change? It's also likely he built out the rear of the bus into some type of garage, to accept motorcycles for transport to racetracks in your area?
—//
I wasn’t thinking of buying it. And I’m sure he doesn’t want to sell. According to him, people come from all over to look at it. It’s a big hit in the motor cross world. He did some very unique things to the interior. If I get pictures I will post them.
Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Maybe this post can help resolve this. It’s a little old so maybe things have changed

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ne...laws-2751.html
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Looking around I found this. I didn’t read the entire document.

. In the case where the department inspector determines that the motor vehicle may not be operated safely on a public highway without first being repaired, the inspector also shall place a “Highway Operation Prohibited” sticker on the windshield. Such vehicle shall not be operated until the critical safety defect(s) identified by the department inspector is repaired.
—-//
Well, that could very well be, but the way he addressed the issue was more in a general matter rather than an issue being specific to his bus.
Whatever the issue is, it pertains to the frame, chassis or axels or some safety feature that has to do with speed.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
—-//
Well, that could very well be, but the way he addressed the issue was more in a general matter rather than an issue being specific to his bus.
Whatever the issue is, it pertains to the frame, chassis or axels or some safety feature that has to do with speed.
How many people hear are telling you the guy is full of chit, doesn't know what he's talking about. Why do you continue to defend his statement? There is no need to follow up with him as he won't be able to back his statement with any facts.
Enough members here I'm sure have already done an extensive search before posting to find any validity to the claim, no one has.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Might be a good time to offer him a lowball $$amount to make it yours.
The motocross motif should be easy enough to change? It's also likely he built out the rear of the bus into some type of garage, to accept motorcycles for transport to racetracks in your area?
a lot of 'ifs' involved, but it might be something l was interested in
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
—-//
Whatever the issue is, it pertains to the frame, chassis or axles or some safety feature that has to do with speed.

School buses are perfectly safe at highway speeds, as much so as any other vehicle. The above mentioned out-of-service and subsequent highway-operation-prohibited stickers (most states do out-or-service stickers, not all add the highway operation prohibited ones, they deem the out of service to cover it) ... anyway those are usually for vehicle defects found while it's on the road ... flat/bald tires, broken windshield, inoperative lights, bad brakes, critical safety stuff like that. OOS stickers are not used for "wrong color paint", RV plumbing, 110 volt electrical, or any of that (they're not supposed to, anyway). Those issues can be repaired at some other time because (in theory) they do not pose a safety risk to driving the vehicle.

There is a *BIG* difference between roadside and annual inspections (includes many inspections for our conversions). Many issues that would fail an annual inspection might be passable at a roadside as far as getting an out-of-service might go. It's not a free pass to let any problem slip by, though. The driver/company is still getting a defective inspection if caught. Example - for an annual inspection, both windshield wipers must work, else it doesn't pass. Only the driver's side must work to avoid Out-Of-Service (but it still counts as a defect - here's your violation).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
School buses are perfectly safe at highway speeds, as much so as any other vehicle. The above mentioned out-of-service and subsequent highway-operation-prohibited stickers (most states do out-or-service stickers, not all add the highway operation prohibited ones, they deem the out of service to cover it) ... anyway those are usually for vehicle defects found while it's on the road ... flat/bald tires, broken windshield, inoperative lights, bad brakes, critical safety stuff like that. OOS stickers are not used for "wrong color paint", RV plumbing, 110 volt electrical, or any of that (they're not supposed to, anyway). Those issues can be repaired at some other time because (in theory) they do not pose a safety risk to driving the vehicle.

There is a *BIG* difference between roadside and annual inspections (includes many inspections for our conversions). Many issues that would fail an annual inspection might be passable at a roadside as far as getting an out-of-service might go. It's not a free pass to let any problem slip by, though. The driver/company is still getting a defective inspection if caught. Example - for an annual inspection, both windshield wipers must work, else it doesn't pass. Only the driver's side must work to avoid Out-Of-Service (but it still counts as a defect - here's your violation).
—-//
You guys are totally amazing.. all that knowledge.. .. if there was only a way to get all that info into a little capsule and put it to market, you guys be billionaires!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Every state has it's own rules and laws, and it should be easy enough to pull up New York laws, via one of their web sites. I'd be more than surprised if there aren't skoolies driving around in every state. Have your friend do a little search, and I bet he comes out a happy fella.
I wish I had had a skoolie, all the years that I drove my son around to MX tracks. I'd even like to see some pictures of you friends rig.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:29 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
School buses are perfectly safe at highway speeds, as much so as any other vehicle. The above mentioned out-of-service and subsequent highway-operation-prohibited stickers (most states do out-of-service stickers, not all add the highway operation prohibited ones, they deem the out of service to cover it) ... anyway those are usually for vehicle defects found while it's on the road ... flat/bald tires, broken windshield, inoperative lights, bad brakes, critical safety stuff like that. OOS stickers are not used for "wrong color paint", RV plumbing, 110 volt electrical, or any of that (they're not supposed to, anyway). Those issues can be repaired at some other time because (in theory) they do not pose a safety risk to driving the vehicle.

Quote:
—-//
You guys are totally amazing.. all that knowledge.. .. if there was only a way to get all that info into a little capsule and put it to market, you guys be billionaires!

TL;DR - basically an annual inspection (and in many cases, initial inspections for our conversions), things have to be as close to "perfect" as possible, or at least pass all the inspection checkpoints (over a hundred on a full inspection but many are duplicated). On a roadside, for out-of-service, it drops to a couple dozen or so and many allow for "Meh, good enough" to at least continue going (but you'll still get a violation ticket/inspection for it).

A couple more examples - annual inspections don't allow for broken/damaged windshields. Roadside allows for cracks/damage that don't impair the driver's vision. Tire tread depth minimum 4/32" (steer tires), 2/32" (all the rest); Out-of-service at 2/32, 1/32, respectively. I could go on, but you get the idea.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Every state has it's own rules and laws, and it should be easy enough to pull up New York laws, via one of their web sites. I'd be more than surprised if there aren't skoolies driving around in every state. Have your friend do a little search, and I bet he comes out a happy fella.
I wish I had had a skoolie, all the years that I drove my son around to MX tracks. I'd even like to see some pictures of you friends rig.
—//
He’s not a friend, just someone I met and spoke to for a few minutes. I was the one who brought up the skoolie idea. He didn’t know what I was referring to until I mentioned school bus conversion into RV.

That’s when he told me, he had one
and the rest of the story. I did send him a text yesterday informing him of what members of this forum were noting about his issue, but he hasn’t replied yet.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
—//
He’s not a friend, just someone I met and spoke to for a few minutes. I was the one who brought up the skoolie idea. He didn’t know what I was referring to until I mentioned school bus conversion into RV.

That’s when he told me, he had one
and the rest of the story. I did send him a text yesterday informing him of what members of this forum were noting about his issue, but he hasn’t replied yet.
And he's not going to because he will find he is wrong. Perfect example of "You can't believe everything a stranger tells you".
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
And he's not going to because he will find he is wrong. Perfect example of "You can't believe everything a stranger tells you".
—-//
What doesn’t make sense is, why lie? The bus exists because I saw pictures of the inside, but why lie?
Personally I don’t think he did any research because he was totally unaware of the terminology or even the trend. And whatever happened is probably due for not questioning anything and believing those who have no clue of what they’re talking about.

And you’re probably right, I did not get a reply. Perhaps he doesn’t want to hear, he’s been wrong all along.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
—-//
What doesn’t make sense is, why lie? The bus exists because I saw pictures of the inside, but why lie?
Personally I don’t think he did any research because he was totally unaware of the terminology or even the trend. And whatever happened is probably due for not questioning anything and believing those who have no clue of what they’re talking about.

And you’re probably right, I did not get a reply. Perhaps he doesn’t want to hear, he’s been wrong all along.
He didn't lie, he's just ignorant. Like you said, he didn't do his research correctly. Maybe you can convince him to get his bus on the road now. If you can't, tell him to register in Vt. and then it's legal in NY.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
He didn't lie, he's just ignorant. Like you said, he didn't do his research correctly. Maybe you can convince him to get his bus on the road now. If you can't, tell him to register in Vt. and then it's legal in NY.
—-/
I sent him a lengthy text when the responses from the members of this forum started coming in. I expressed to him, what the overall consensus was and asked him to give me a few more details so I could respond to the member’s inquiries. That two days ago.
Never heard back. Oh well c’est la vie!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

See regular school buses on the Interstates all the time.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: RE 35'
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Yellow is legal on ex school busses with title change to RV in Oregon and Washington states. And there is the reprocosity law where other states respect the laws of the state in which the vehicle is registered. Were this not the case. A visitor with a car registered in a state with lower emission standards driving through California would be fined or whatever.
steveningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: RE 35'
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Reprocosity laws concerning home state vehicle registration. Where you register your Skoolie matters being that is the state with the laws you need to conform to is my understanding.
https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.irponline...._agreement.pdf
steveningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #39
Almost There

Year: ‘09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35’
I see school busses on the freeways all of the time. Some with kids, some without. Just googled it, not true.
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Rated Cap: 72
Proud owner of a 1998 motorhome here ;}
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote