Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Sealing roof, water getting in, Crown Bus

We drove through rain this weekend on our trip and several areas had some holes and rain got inside, what do you guys recommend for sealing this holes, our crown bus has a system of gutters that the rain flows through and out the bus, seems like some of these have some holes where the water flows down and inside the bus. Is silicone the best for this or is there something stronger and better lasting?

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
We drove through rain this weekend on our trip and several areas had some holes and rain got inside, what do you guys recommend for sealing this holes, our crown bus has a system of gutters that the rain flows through and out the bus, seems like some of these have some holes where the water flows down and inside the bus. Is silicone the best for this or is there something stronger and better lasting?
Check out our video around the 4:10 mark. We used Lizard Skin to seal the whole bus. Before spraying it in, however, I took some 3M auto seam sealer and lined the ribbing and ceiling support beams prior to finishing the spray in process. Works amazing! The Lizard Skin has a sound control barrier and an optional top coat thermal coating that boasts an "R" value of R16. This is just one of many solutions to your problem however. All bus roofs leak.. some on here don't know theirs leaks because the didn't take the ceiling panels off and old insulation out. Mold would be my big concern with this thought process. It's a hard problem to fix after you've built your bus out. Good luck to you.

https://youtu.be/f6xCw2JPKtg
Old 07-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
Skoolie

Painting the roof outside with the proper rustolium paint will help as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
No, silicone has no place in a bus roof!
Can you post a pic of the holes?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Agreed! No silicone.. Heat is an issue. Latex if you have to, or an auto store will have heavy duty windshield seal maker.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Are you saying that the angled steel panels inside the Crown Dry Wall section under the windows are corroded through? If so, you've got a big job on your hands to get to them. It's VERY unusual for them to rust through - if that happened, why? I hope that some dimwit didn't block the underneath gap that rain water is intended to flow out through, because if they did the water would pool inside there and eventually rust through the steel. Are there leaves and trash in there to impede the water flow? Or is the water coming in somewhere else?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:13 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Are you saying that the angled steel panels inside the Crown Dry Wall section under the windows are corroded through? If so, you've got a big job on your hands to get to them. It's VERY unusual for them to rust through - if that happened, why? I hope that some dimwit didn't block the underneath gap that rain water is intended to flow out through, because if they did the water would pool inside there and eventually rust through the steel. Are there leaves and trash in there to impede the water flow? Or is the water coming in somewhere else?

John
Hey John, no the gap where most rain water flows through (below the windows) and out the bottom as full proof those are working fine, however on top of the windows by the roof, the crown has a sort of rain gutter that goes from the front of the bus all the way to the back, I’m guessing the water that flows down from top of roof goes into this gutter system and flows to the front or back of the bus, and water that hits from below the outside of window will go through the gap that you mentioned and through the walls chamber and out th bottom of bus, this is working perfectly, I’m talking about the gutters, I’ve attached a picture with an arrow showing the gutters above the windows, when I climbed up I saw that this gutter is good, but with time the gutter has some separation from the body and water is getting in through these cracks, what would be the best sealant to use? Would it be silicone or this other product my father recommended Vulkem sealant

Also water is getting in through the front windshield from cracks, looks like they used some sort of sealant before and it’s worn out, Napa guy recommended this sealant called flowable sealant for the windshield he said this stuff flows into all crevices and seals them.
Attached Thumbnails
116E2A5A-3073-4D0F-8855-4C7DF6CE2B1F.jpg  
Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I saw this before and wondered why you thought that because the Henry's Tropi-Cool is 100% silicone?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #9
Bus Geek

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/se...ape-10782.html
Old 07-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I saw this before and wondered why you thought that because the Henry's Tropi-Cool is 100% silicone?
I will try to get to the bus today and take a picture of the areas where I am pretty sure the water is getting in from, its not bad but on a heavy rainstorm like we experienced while driving it got through and water gushing through some areas
Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Looks like one guy had poor results after a period of time with silicone caulk on his windows. Probably from poor prep. Many other posts there with pro results from silicone. The thread really had nothing to do with roofs, so I don't know why you would say that silicone has no business on a roof when the best products for the roof are 100% silicone.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Bus Geek

That's your opinion, but most of us here would use the actual product meant for the application. Seam sealer is for fixing roof leaks on buses.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
Bus Geek

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/pl...tal-17684.html

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/ho...ows-20199.html

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/cl...aks-12395.html
Old 07-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I don't like silicone caulk on anything automotive. You will never get paint to stick on that area again. At least that's been my problem. I like seam sealer and elastomeric products. Ok ,so now someone get butt hurt because they don't agree with me and keep posting senseless crap. Jeez .
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
OK, thank you for clarifying where the water is coming in. When I resealed between the roof's rain gutter extrusion above the windows and the roof itself, I used Loctite S40 polyurethane sealant/adhesive before repainting the roof. I also resealed the edge of every roof panel where it overlaps the next one with the same S40, and around the roof hatches - two tubes of S40 did everything. As others here have said, don't use silicone if you intend to paint over it, because paint and silicone don't play well together.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's your opinion, but most of us here would use the actual product meant for the application. Seam sealer is for fixing roof leaks on buses.
It's not my opinion. It's the exact purpose of the product I mentioned.
It's moisture-cure chemistry creates a very aggressive chemical bond with the roof, which allows for permanent ponding water resistance, extreme durability, and superior capabilities of sealing and protection.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:

John
Okay guys, so here are pics of where we think water is getting into and somehow through the bus and inside. The water when we were driving seems to be coming in through one of the windows too which could be the seal on the glass itself. Not sure but I'm uploading all pictures and if someone could recommend a product for each of these gaps/holes.

The last picture shows the gap / opening right below the bottom of windows that Iceni John talks about water runs
through there and out the bottom of the bus, it's a great design. I'm having issues on the top of windows by the top gutters, as you can see in the pictures there's a gutter system that runs horizontally across the bus, any water coming from top of bus goes into here and out. However it seems there's separation from this gutter and the body of the seal is old or needs new sealant.
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20180727_164116.jpg   MVIMG_20180727_164106.jpg   MVIMG_20180727_164220.jpg   MVIMG_20180727_164848.jpg   MVIMG_20180727_164137.jpg  

MVIMG_20180727_164241.jpg  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Urethane sealant is as good as it gets short of welding solid.

Look for an OEM grade at any auto paint & body supply. 3M makes a good one. Stays pliant, is UV resistant, can be painted in about 15 minutes and will last as long as the body.

Silicone does not belong on a vehicle. I won't even use it on the inside.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Urethane sealant is as good as it gets short of welding solid.

Look for an OEM grade at any auto paint & body supply. 3M makes a good one. Stays pliant, is UV resistant, can be painted in about 15 minutes and will last as long as the body.

Silicone does not belong on a vehicle. I won't even use it on the inside.
Any name of a paint and body supply that may have this? I have no clue of branch stores that sell this? Napa wouldn't have this right? Sorry sort of sound dumb but idk any stores that are paint and body supply stores.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
OK, thank you for clarifying where the water is coming in. When I resealed between the roof's rain gutter extrusion above the windows and the roof itself, I used Loctite S40 polyurethane sealant/adhesive before repainting the roof. I also resealed the edge of every roof panel where it overlaps the next one with the same S40, and around the roof hatches - two tubes of S40 did everything. As others here have said, don't use silicone if you intend to paint over it, because paint and silicone don't play well together.

John
Thanks I will try to find this, any idea what store or branch would sell this? I uploaded pictures of cracks and openings , what do you recommend for cracks in windshield seals? I bought this product called flowable sealant from Napa the guy said it gets in all small cracks regular sealant can't...