Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
So I've located where the water was getting into my bus... and the rust damage that it caused leaves me with a couple of questions.

First it appears that this area of the bus was previously worked on because the hat-channels have been cut out and replaced with "c" channels (from the outside you can see where the new "c's" overlap and are welded into existing channels just above lower window line) but the water intrusion wasn't solved obviously because on both sides the final three "c" channels behind these interior panels are completely rusted... or this was just the factory engineering?? I can't tell, as my searches have yielded no information anywhere on what the purpose of these double decker paneling sections are...

My best guess is they are additional support structure for the engine and/or for the bus in case of side collision behind the rear wheels but in any case... I need to (A.) either completely replace these rusted channels or (B.) gain enough access to flap disc to good metal or rust convert and paint.

I could be completely wrong here but are the only options to remove rivets and exterior skin to gain access, or can I cut out these additional interior side panels to gain access? It seems to me that if I do the latter I would need to replace these panels since they must serve some purpose... haha I'm at a loss .

Either way it looks like a ton of work that is absolutely necessary.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
20220506_154744.jpg  

DiddBiddy is offline   Reply With Quote