Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Shipping a bus by train...

Has anyone ever checked into freight shipping a bus by train on a flatbed car? A friend of the family suggested we put our bus on a train & have it shipped from FL to Albuquerque... Reason for us considering this is 1, we want to get there with no problems, & 2 it would allow my wife & I to drive together in the pickup with the baby making comforting the baby alot easier plus we could cover alot more ground in less time. Plus the cost of fuel for the bus on a 2100 mile trip may be about the same as putting it on a train! Our friend said alot of truckers do this to save on fuel, time & wear & tear.... Just a thought. Any input?? My only concern would be someone breaking into the bus aomewhere along the line, OR some squatter using it while catching a FREE ride, then robbing us... HMMM

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Shipping a bus by train...

With the Homeland Security concerns, it's a lot less likely that someone will be able to break in or ride along. Have your flatbed hooked up next to a chlorine tanker. Still, just about 100% of the freight cars going through the Northeast have been "tagged." The bus might arrive with a very interesting paint job.

I have never seen a truck (power unit, straight or semi-tractor) in this area on a train. I have seen ISO containers and semi-trailers only. I HAVE seen dozens of buses on flatbed trucks. Some of the taller ones have the wheels taken off to go under bridges more safely.

An alternate possibility would be to find a semi with a flatbed trailer returning west with no load. (I had a friend whose company put her grandmother's car into an empty box trailer in California , and delivered it to her on the return trip back to New York.) Offer to share fuel in return for the load. No dollar saving, but deals with the baby issues. You might leave a note on a truck stop bulletin board looking for leads.

Or, get the towbar completed and have an adventure you will talk about for years.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

If you get some quotes, please let us know what the ballpark figures are. That's an interesting option...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Redbear,
That is true with the homeland security but wow, I NEVER thought about the classic tagging & I am sure the "artists" out there would love to redo our pretty blue paint job with many additional colors...
Bummer cause that alone is enough to change my mind as I don't think I would be happy removing the graffiti from the bus when it gets to NM. Another issue after a little research is our bus is 6" too tall to fit into the "standard" height requirements for a flatbed traincar. It measures 11'6" tall, the cutoff is 11'. After that it requires a special car to haul the bus. Another issue that completely eliminates the idea is that CSX does not run thru or anywhere near NM so I guess a good idea has just been botched!

The semi truck is a great idea but I am not sure where to look for empty flatbeds heading to our destination...I am in a kinda rural FL location with no truckstops for many miles. The towbar would have been set up already if it was feasible but we own a small RV/cargo trailer that is being pulled by the Nissan that will have the motorcycle & other stuff in it... Too bad ya can't pull a vehicle that is pulling a trailer huh??

I will research the semi option a little further & thanks for the advice!!

Jonathan
Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

Call a freight broker to get a rate to move by truck.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoo
Call a freight broker to get a rate to move by truck.
Any suggestions of names (of brokers) to research? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Hey Ezbme!! Now, you just get in that bus and start driving dang-it. You'll make it just fine. The good Lord just gave you a fancy child, dude you are on top of the world. Just take along about seven gallons of oil, five gallons of transmission fluid plenty of water. You know people on the way. so no problem. If I were you I'd send the wife and child out ahead to get settled. She can backtrack if need be. As soon as she is settled, You should start out. She'll be cooking you steak 5 days later. Don't love anything that doesn't love you back. Be ready to scrap the bus anytime anywhere. That's the way to do things IMHO. Good luck and stop by when you hit Austin. PM me. Get a good sams card just in case for tire changes. Get a list of rest stops in every state you will pass through. Stop regularly at four 20 mile markers, rest and pee. You'll have the time of your life. Buy an extra v belt. Blow and go.
Yer funny mightybus & thanks for the enlightment! I am sure I will do that, just drive! This isn't a vacation for us but a limited time travel schedule that we cannot afford to have any breakdowns as we are very strapped on cash as the bus has cost us quite a bit already to get ready... The problem with my confidence is the bus broke down 35 miles after we purchased it & I haven't driven it much since then. That & my wife is not long trip driver friendly. I am confidant we will make it just fine!

LOL, scrapping the bus is not an option as it will be filled with our worldly possesions & client inventory & is also our business office once we get to NM so it HAS to make it in one piece!!
I like the four 20 rest stop idea!

We already have the Good Sam towing so we are covered for any breakdowns...
If I have access to internet I will def PM you when in Austin!

Thanks, Jonathan
Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Have you considered getting a driver for the bus, instead of shipping it? There are services that match cars with drivers going the same direction, maybe they might have someone who could drive a bus? Or maybe someone here would be able to volunteer? I can't, but would love to help if I could.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Well we are driving as the train is positively out of the question as is freight shipping by semi... I randomly called a place & they qouted me (choke) $4763.60 to ship from FL to NM by truck...Yup, that is just ridiculous-more than I paid for the bus! I am happy driving & dealing with anything that may happen for that price!

I guess I gotta just have some confidence in Buster & just enjoy the cruise... I will take plenty of photos!

Jonathan
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Bus Nut

That might be for the best... Even Doctor Who had problems shipping a bus...

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...20the%20Tardis
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I was also interested in this option some years ago. I thought it would be nice to ship my bus to gerlach nevada, then drive the 5 minutes to burningman instead of the 5K mile roundtrip journey i usually take.

I didn't have much luck finding prices, but i eventually decided it would probaly be cheaper to buy a bus just for BM, then i could find a place to park it out in nevada and just fire it up once a year. except a bus that only runs once per year would probably end up with all kinds of issues.

They make slightly oversized shipping containers, and a bus may or may not fit inside. We had a thread about this, and a bus definately will NOT fit in a standard shipping container.