Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 AM   #1

Shipping a Skoolie

Hello all!

Does anyone have any resources for shipping a Skoolie?

I just purchased a 2000 AmTran with a DT466E and allison automatic from an auction in Sinton, Texas. I made it to about Victoria, Texas and I now have water in oil. Unknown if it's going to be a sleeve, water pump, head gasket, or cracked block/ head at this time.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and can get the bus fixed if I make it home, but not where it sits.

I need either a skoolie friendly wrecker in south texas that can bring to Dallas area on the cheap or a shipper with a drop deck that can tow. I do have it listed on U-ship but wanted to check here as well.

Thanks in Advance,
JW

Jwgoodwin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

if it was me, I would do as i have done three times in the past. I would get some of the expensive block sealer and do that first. is quite likely to save you lots of money shipping. Probably cost $150 to 225. I have done this with both diesel and gas engines
putting bus on the flatbed or on hook will be kinda expensive...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:46 AM   #3

What brand would you recommend? Anything in particular? I need to be able to make it 250 miles on it. At 55 mph that would be around 5 hours of running
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
check oil cooler also most of these problems i fixed was the cooler also i seen buses towed by another bus with a towbar on their way to mexico rent a truck remove the driveshaft and roll
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgoodwin1991 View Post
What brand would you recommend? Anything in particular? I need to be able to make it 250 miles on it. At 55 mph that would be around 5 hours of running
something like k and B heavy duty block sealer. and use appropriate amount for your cooling system.
if this does not work, you have a major issue,
Old 08-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That's about 300 miles. I've flat towed my buses with a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck on two occasions, but the longest of those was only 60 miles. I guess it could be done if you had a real good friend to help out but shipping would definitely be easier.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #7

It sure is a long drive for it to break down again is my only fear. Afraid to use block sealer and only make it 50 miles farther and then I don't have a safe place to store it like I do now.. As far as a tow bar goes, I would entertain that idea.. I just would have to come up a way to custom fabricate one down there.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Try this guy

Sucks.

I just sent you a PM of my Logistics guy in Tejas. Give him a ring and see if he can get your beastie home.

Happy Trails

I's prefer to get it to the shop and fix right over additives/cures.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You could tow with a tow bar if you had a sufficiently heavy towing vehicle. I just used a 20 foot chain. With a driver riding in the towed vehicle to operate its steering and brakes there's no need for a rigid tow bar.

Assuming air brakes: It's a bit of a production to arrange a generator and portable air compressor to keep the brakes fed, but it's sure nice to have full braking capacity (as compared to a hydraulic braked rig with no brake boost).

If you had access to a second driver and one of the late-model 1-ton pickups with 30,000-ish pound towing capacity the pickup wouldn't even be out of its league as far as drivetrain capacity.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, towing, wrecker