Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Shirt-Sleeve Weather

It hit 40°F today for the first time in 7 weeks. At lunch time, in full sun and no wind, it was too warm to wear my winter coat outside. Just a long-sleeved shirt over a tee shirt, and only one pair of long johns under my jeans.

It was only a couple of days ago that two pairs of long johns were needed!

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I don't see how you hardy folks survive the cold!
Congrats on the warmer weather though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Many years ago I moved to Maine from a lifetime in Miami. I learned some very important lessons that winter.
1. Miami does NOT prepare you for anything less than 65F that lasts more than a few minutes.
2. There are not enough layers to insulate you from the cold of your 1st real winter and still allow for movement.
3. Mainer's wear shorts and t-shirts any day over 50F....Tank tops if sunny without a breeze!
Then I noticed something magical happened, I don't know when but I suspect it was in that first spring. The second winter, I wasn't cold. The following spring on the first day at 50F I found myself in a T-shirt with the windows down while heading towards the beach! So I can say honestly that your body acclimates, I can no longer deal with any temps over 80F. I moved back to Miami for a while and hated the heat, and some time later I spent years in Dallas, Tx and despised every single day from around mid March to Thanksgiving. Winter is not bad, at least you can dress for it. I don't understand how y'all down south manage to survive summer, and I've seen some of you SMILE in 100F+. But hey, to each his/her own!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
It hit 40°F today for the first time in 7 weeks. At lunch time, in full sun and no wind, it was too warm to wear my winter coat outside. Just a long-sleeved shirt over a tee shirt, and only one pair of long johns under my jeans.

It was only a couple of days ago that two pairs of long johns were needed!
Been suffering thru 60 to 70 deg days here for the last 2 months, some ruff stuff
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
I've found the opposite is true. I am perfectly able to adapt to any level of heat by wearing less clothing and doing less work—warmer weather is dealt with by doing less.

Cold weather, on the other hand, requires work. You have to spend twenty minutes getting dressed in the morning and you can't just sit down to try and warm up. No, you need to do work to maintain you core temperature.

Besides, how hot can it get? Even five degrees above body temperature is considered a heat wave just about everywhere, and it never really gets hotter than that in most places. On the other hand, low temps can easily get to 50 or even 100 degrees below body temperature. Screw that!

I'm also from Miami I can tell you it's miserable in the summer when you're working, but when you're at the beach, staring at topless women in dental-floss thongs, you're thankful for the heat.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
man, im suffering now. lows in 60,s and highs near 80 everyday this week. boy, does that suck.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Try NM... where no matter the temperature, you can add wind to it. I am so tired of the wind and dust. Can't wait to get back to high humidity. (Either FL or AL). The cold and heat are different out here too. Been out here since 2010 (can't count 2009 since we headed to CC at the first sign of snow). Definitely different.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I am battling skin cancer on both arms and a previous battle with heat exhausting that nearly broke me. The heat stings and perspiration pours out like a faucet opened. I have been in FL since late 79 to get away from a blizzard that shut down the midwest.
My wife had chemo and rad. 11 years ago so she gets cold when there is a breeze or in the shade. We are polar opposites inside now. I guess that is why so many become "snowbirds" at retirement.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote