Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Shop talk

I'm working on making my Crown fan more effective. The current fan is a huge 5 blade fan that must pull air down an air tunnel. The radiator is side mounted and to maximise the air flow has some challenges. The fan is mounted to a shaft that incorporates the pulley that is driven by the crankshaft pulley. I'm converting to a nylon fan with 8 blades and is much lighter than the factory 5 blade fan. The fan mechanics have not been checked for many years. With some time and patience, the shaft was finally seperated from the other componets. The castelated nut and shaft threads did not fit and turn smoothly. The nut and shaft are extra fine thread pitch. I have no exotic taps for extra fine thread. What to do. After some thot, I used an old machinists trick. I found my container of four leaf clover fine valve lapping compound. The threads were coated with the compound and threaded the full length of the treads about 10 times. The nut threads the shaft smoothly and effortlessly. All the lapping compound was washed from all the parts. A little 30 weight oil and all is good. This is not a big deal, but a good challenge. The new roller bearings will be found tomorrow. Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote