Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

I've owned both 6.0 and 7.3 Fords. The 6.0 has issues. Get a 1999-2003 7.3 Ford diesel shortie. I paid $3200 for mine and immediately coughed up $1900 in maintenance to make her pristine. You will not beat that set up tho. It'll run 80 mph on interstate with cruise set and is low maintenance / extremely reliable compared to all other bus options. Here's a great link to keeping the 7.3 happy. Good luck 👍

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f34/th...sel-10607.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by beschool View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far. I really appreciate it. Here is another one I am looking at. I have heard great the 6.0 has issue but not sure if that has much merit.

Year: 2009
Make: Ford
Model: E450 School Bus 19 Pass
Mileage: 108536
VIN: 1FDFE45P49DA06345
Engine: Diesel 6.0
Asking: $5500

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ct...894047530.html

PagosaDosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

OK, it's been a while since my last post. I have been dealing with some personal things and my skoolie dreams have been on hold but now I am back on the hunt. I am not looking for a already converted short skoolie. I have found one that looks like it would fit most of my needs and wants. It is a little pricey, the asking price is 24k OBO, but it is all there and pretty much turn key. Its a 2000 International 3800 Thomas Built Bus. Any advice would be appreciated:

Here is a link to the details:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs...009559072.html
beschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
OK, it's been a while since my last post. I have been dealing with some personal things and my skoolie dreams have been on hold but now I am back on the hunt. I am not looking for a already converted short skoolie. I have found one that looks like it would fit most of my needs and wants. It is a little pricey, the asking price is 22k OBO, but it is all there and pretty much turn key. Its a 2000 International 3800 Thomas Built Bus. Any advice would be appreciated:

Low headroom, no insulation, and a lackluster drivetrain. Looks like a $5-10k bus to me.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
OK, it's been a while since my last post. I have been dealing with some personal things and my skoolie dreams have been on hold but now I am back on the hunt. I am not looking for a already converted short skoolie. I have found one that looks like it would fit most of my needs and wants. It is a little pricey, the asking price is 24k OBO, but it is all there and pretty much turn key. Its a 2000 International 3800 Thomas Built Bus. Any advice would be appreciated:

I'm sorry but how could you possibly consider that bus, super over priced..... If plp really will pay this, I'm quitting my other trades and going to start building out buses.
You say your not even looking for a converted bus done, but yet are for some reason considering this overpriced pipe dream? Doesn't make sense.
Do you have alot of money to throw away?
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
I'm sorry but how could you possibly consider that bus, super over priced..... If plp really will pay this, I'm quitting my other trades and going to start building out buses.
You say your not even looking for a converted bus done, but yet are for some reason considering this overpriced pipe dream? Doesn't make sense.
Do you have alot of money to throw away?
Thanks for your input. First of all, I am looking for an already converted bus. It was a typo in my original post. I do feel the bus is overpriced but making an offer doesn't hurt so just trying to get an idea of what people on here feel it is worth based on what they have seen out there. From what I have seen out there something like this, being fully converted with solar power, running water and kitchen, toilet, shower, roof deck, fully painted, etc, and on a 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo-Diesel, would be in the range of 16-20k. If you have seen otherwise I would love know. I realize that in the long run buying a unconverted bus and doing the conversion myself would be more cost effective in the long run but, as many already know in here, converting a bus takes a great deal of effort and time, time is money and a luxury for most. So there are advantages of buying an already converted bus, depending on the individual needs and circumstances. If you have the skills and get into the business of bus conversions, I would be interested in your services though .

Thanks again!
beschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Thanks for your input. First of all, I am looking for an already converted bus. It was a typo in my original post. I do feel the bus is overpriced but making an offer doesn't hurt so just trying to get an idea of what people on here feel it is worth based on what they have seen out there. From what I have seen out there something like this, being fully converted with solar power, running water and kitchen, toilet, shower, roof deck, fully painted, etc, and on a 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo-Diesel, would be in the range of 16-20k. If you have seen otherwise I would love know. I realize that in the long run buying a unconverted bus and doing the conversion myself would be more cost effective in the long run but, as many already know in here, converting a bus takes a great deal of effort and time, time is money and a luxury for most. So there are advantages of buying an already converted bus, depending on the individual needs and circumstances. If you have the skills and get into the business of bus conversions, I would be interested in your services though .

Thanks again!
"I am looking for an already converted bus. It was a typo in my original post." That makes more sense now.

I have looked at only a very very few buses that were converted for sale, as far as I remember all were full sized... At most if I were you I wouldn't go over half the asking price, but then again I'm one of those low ballers that usually only buy if the price is a super good deal, I'll make 40-50 low ball offers on things to only get one person to take my offer.
You are going to value a already built unit where as I wouldn't.
I usually run off with someones mistake they are running away from rather than a item they are trying to make money or recover their investment.
But then again I'm kinda like Mr. Haney of Greenacres LOL.

Funny I'm wanting to move to MO next year.... If we were closer I'd offer to build to suit, I'm way over in NE TN, if however you find a bus you want and it's not converted and you want it built out, give me a hollar I can either come to you or you come to me if we work something out.

Personally I don't have the cash to invest in buses and then buy material to sit on them and I sure am no sucker for debt anymore hehehe. But I def can be hired to do the work.

I sure like a 7.3 as well and have one in my bus and a pickup truck nearing half a million miles.
Yeah it sure does take alot of effort to convert a bus, I'm half way through mine, but I'd be done if I spent more time on it and especially not living in it too. Anyways sorry I didn't figure you had a typo but generally I don't assume much about what people write and just take it for face value.

Hope you find what your looking for buddy.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote