Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #1

short vs. small vs. ?

while an actually skoolie purchase for me is likely a long way off. been doin' a lot of thinking and reading up front.

I've been looking at 6 or 7 row 'full size' busses in the 23-24' range

take for granted for a moment, that I am looking for a smaller bus.

what comments might you good folks have on a "real" bus vs. a van chassis

* as some of you know, I'm also thinking about the possibility of doing a conversion inside an ambulance, if i go that route i'd be designing it as a "slide in" and if i think abtou it that way I'm way ahead*

as for busses, i think a very comfortable camper could be make with ~ 14' of useable space.

on to other subjects..
the ubiquitous MPG question, insight on a large low rpm engine vs a smaller higher rpm for cruising?

do the shorter wheelbases handle well?

(blab-blab, tryign to spit it all out ;)

robert

koldei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Beign a full time paramedic, i've been in one or two ambulances over the past few years. I think an ambulance would make a far better road trip vehicle than a skoolie. Ambulances generally can travel in excess of 90mph, they get decet fuel economy if driven nicely, and are small enough to fit into a standard parking spot.

Pretty much all rigs since about 1990 are ford's. I'm not a big fan of the 7.3 liter power stroke diesel (navistar), but it's acceptable for this application. There are lots of parts available. The early 90's had non-tubo models. You dont' want that. You definately need the turbo. This should not be an option! Another option for the older rigs is the 460 ci gas motor. This is an incredible power plant with suprising performance. With this motor you can pass everything even while going uphill except a gas station.

There are three common types. van bodies with a tall roof non-duel wheel. These are too small to be of much use I think. Then there are the E350 van chassis, duel wheel, modular box. These are very common, and provide lots of room inside. Most mod ambulances i've been in that are post 1995 are tall eough for me to stand up inside. I'm 5'6". Pre 95 many were shorter. The third, and least common around here are the F350 pickup truck chassis, duel wheel, with modular box. These are the safest to drive since there is a lot more material between you and the hood. They are also the easiest to work on.

Most ambulances come with big alternators, high idle/charge protect mode, and cruise control. Not to mention heat/ac for the front and the back. One problem with ambulances is that many, especially in the northern states never get shut off from about october-april. They run 24 hours a day to keep the drugs at a constant temperature. A rig with 200,000 miles might have far more hours in it than you realize. many rigs have an hour meter somewhere.

Skoolies certianly have their advantages. Space, large payload capability, and crash safety are a few.

I've considered turning an ambulance into a motorhome....that's actually how i ended up with my skoolie.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
An ambulance is a great idea, I originally wanted one of these before the school bus, but for me it was just too small.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I have a "short bus" based on the E350 van(see links)...it has been real handy because it's so easy to drive and gets great milage....but I think I would rather have a "real" short bus....anybody want to trade...

http://www.classicguzzi.com/bus/newbusleftfrt.jpg
http://www.classicguzzi.com/bus/newbusrightrear.jpg
http://www.classicguzzi.com/bus/newbusleftrear.jpg
EldoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #5

Jason, i think you've hit about all the pluss' of an ambulance that I've thought of. and yes, I'd definitely get a Type III (i.e. E350 w box) if i go that route

some have heights up to 6', most around 5'6" and most type 3 boxes are ~ 13-14' long.

my camper of the last 5 years has been a type I (pickup) with a 460, and yes. i'm extremely happy it holds 40 gallons.. (those 40 gallons will get me about 6 feet)
'ubma

I might actually put even odds on either vehicle in a crash test.

I'm just trying to narrow down my choices for a "shell" to eventually put a conversion into.
as I've also mentioned on 'sbcn' i current;y have an old 26' long rv. I'll consider that a test run, maybe that length is good, maybe i should stick to ~ 23' who knows

not sure what's I'd really need beyond a bed, bath, galley, dinette..

later
robert
koldei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

all the people that I race with who have production rigs large and small trailers and busses, one guy even has one of those Peterbuilt RV conversions, with an aluminum lift gate on the back design for a car. He uses it lift and lower his bikes and as a porch. But they all say they wish theirs was just a little bit bigger. so i say the bigger the better, i wish i coulda got one of those 60 footers but 37' does well
University of South Florida

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
-Theodore Roosevelt
frey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

the shorties are nice for driving around, like in a city... I think I would be much more content driving my 20 footer shortie around then a 60+ bus... 'specially if I don't know the area. Also for camping... man, i've turned that thing around on narrow logging roads (now that I think about it, im not sure how I managed) and gotten into sites that I thought I would need a Jeep to get too... wont be doint that with a big bus. However, because the bus is only designed for 16 to 20 people... you really only have around 1500-2000lbs for your conversion, and man... the weight of building supplies adds up fast, this is one reason why I am rebuilding the inside of my bus. You definatly won't have enough room for a full-timer. Pretty much just a real nice hard tent, but if that's what you need, Shorties all the way!! Myself, my shortie is just a "Stepping stone" on to bigger projects.
Anyways, if a shortie is your Gig then I have some Floor plans that I will be puttin in the Gallery soon.... Lemmi know what you think.
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Post them, I would like to see them.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Here is one of them... im working on drawing another. Hope this works, otherwise, just check the gallery page 7 the shortie.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/Shortie
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote