Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by matengi9 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I called them today. The guy there was helpful. My only question is about the prices. Do people think this is a decent price? (it seems kind of high to me) 1999 Blue Bird TC2000 pusher 8.3 Cummins, Alison auto with 203,000 mi for $7,000?
It depends on the rest of the spec. With the 8.3 it has at least the MT643 transmission. 200k is not too high so it really depends what else you are getting.

AAA will negotiate prices and you might get that one for $6k, which is probably about 2X its auction value. For a dealer that's not awful.

If the tires are good, etc, then the price starts looking more attractive. I'm a confirmed auction buyer, but if I were considering a dealer I would look at AAA first.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation! I called them today. The guy there was helpful. My only question is about the prices. Do people think this is a decent price? (it seems kind of high to me) 1999 Blue Bird TC2000 pusher 8.3 Cummins, Alison auto with 203,000 mi for $7,000?
That's a SILLY price.
Anyone telling you a dealer is better than an auction is welcome to their opinion, but if you want the most bus for the least money just figure out what you want, be a little patient and when one pops up for a GOOD deal pounce on it!!
I've bought my last three on GovDeals and Public Surplus. Even though my current bus has given me some trouble, I'd do it again. You can't really go wrong for the price difference vs a dealer. My $4700 bus (out the door) would be around 8-12k at a dealer.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's a SILLY price.
Anyone telling you a dealer is better than an auction is welcome to their opinion, but if you want the most bus for the least money just figure out what you want, be a little patient and when one pops up for a GOOD deal pounce on it!!
I've bought my last three on GovDeals and Public Surplus. Even though my current bus has given me some trouble, I'd do it again. You can't really go wrong for the price difference vs a dealer. My $4700 bus (out the door) would be around 8-12k at a dealer.
Ok, thanks for the advice! Seemed high to me too... Do you always see the buses first or are you personally Ok with buying at those sites just based on the pics?
matengi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's a SILLY price.
The problem is, Charlie, that some people just won't go the auction route.

So when they come here asking I think they need an idea of whether or not the dealer concerned is out-right trying to rip them off, or simply offering a decent bus at a typical dealer price.

I agree with you. My $4k bus would have cost $10 to $12k from a dealer (that's what the comps are that I've looked at), but those prices are only available if you are prepared to take the risk. I think the risk is minimal if you do your due-diligence, but not everyone is comfortable with auctions.

Build Thread
Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #25
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the advice! Seemed high to me too... Do you always see the buses first or are you personally Ok with buying at those sites just based on the pics?
Oh, it's MUCH more of a surprise to buy site-unseen. I have not seen the last dozen+ vehicles I've purchased- only one was bad- had a dead body in it for too long. Do not trust police auctions- worst liars out there.

If you call, don't be surprised if the mechanic isn't excited to stop working in the middle of a job to talk with the seventeenth person to ask if he could email the 18 years of service records.

Trust your gut, buy down South, and LIVE a little.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
i'm not a gambler, but I have no problem bidding on a far away bus.
I've gotten one from KY, one from CO, and one from TX. All were much better deals than anything I could find here. FL sucks for buying buses.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Oh, it's MUCH more of a surprise to buy site-unseen. I have not seen the last dozen+ vehicles I've purchased- only one was bad- had a dead body in it for too long. Do not trust police auctions- worst liars out there.

If you call, don't be surprised if the mechanic isn't excited to stop working in the middle of a job to talk with the seventeenth person to ask if he could email the 18 years of service records.

Trust your gut, buy down South, and LIVE a little.
Ok thank you!
matengi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
The problem is, Charlie, that some people just won't go the auction route.

So when they come here asking I think they need an idea of whether or not the dealer concerned is out-right trying to rip them off, or simply offering a decent bus at a typical dealer price.

I agree with you. My $4k bus would have cost $10 to $12k from a dealer (that's what the comps are that I've looked at), but those prices are only available if you are prepared to take the risk. I think the risk is minimal if you do your due-diligence, but not everyone is comfortable with auctions.
Some people are timid, I know. But I can still give my opinion and try to show folks that they CAN do much better than going to a dealer.
My bus has a problem, but it would have came up whether I'd bought it the way I did at auction, or if I'd blown ten grand on it at a local dealer.

A dealer bus isn't anything special, and it still is every bit as likely of breaking on the way home as one direct from the school for a fraction of the cost.
I just don't see the need for middle-men in this.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Some people are timid, I know. But I can still give my opinion and try to show folks that they CAN do much better than going to a dealer.
My bus has a problem, but it would have came up whether I'd bought it the way I did at auction, or if I'd blown ten grand on it at a local dealer.

A dealer bus isn't anything special, and it still is every bit as likely of breaking on the way home as one direct from the school for a fraction of the cost.
I just don't see the need for middle-men in this.
You make a good point about mechanical issues even from dealer buses.

I could replace the entire engine or transmission in my bus, if necessary, and still be ahead of dealer prices.

Build Thread
Old 02-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You make a good point about mechanical issues even from dealer buses.

I could replace the entire engine or transmission in my bus, if necessary, and still be ahead of dealer prices.
THAT's the way I look at this topic.
For what I saved buying the auction bus, I can fix it and still be in it less than buying at a dealer.