Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I know school buses are hip but if you're truly homeless TOMORROW then a used school bus is one of THE worst ways of being homeless.
Especially if you're paying a small fortune to tart up a used school bus.

If you were just looking to do this out of a personal passion that's one thing. But you've presented it in the context of being homeless tomorrow and needing somewhere to live. The amount of money you're talking about throwing around is a huge amount to most of us here and I'd think you'd be better served not spending that much just to get your toes wet with a new lifestyle.

I'll leave you alone and please don't think I'm trying to pick on you or anything. I'm telling you the same thing I'd tell my own mother if she were in the situation you've described.

Well said A rroof raise, loft bedroom and a couple bathrooms all on a tight schedule and budget doesn't seem realistic to me.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
I am so sorry about this, my apologies to skoolie.com owners and any confusion that has arose.

I'm just a webdev that was looking around for skoolie tld's and a price popped up on namecheap.com for skoolie.com which led to the seco listing, and I got curious about it so I posted here.

The original search on namecheap is here - https://www.namecheap.com/domains/re...domain=skoolie

It still shows skoolie.com as the first premium listing and listed for sale, and with your site still active I figured this was the best place to post and ask.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
You can't judge the quality of the work by color selection.
What kind of insulation did they use if any?

I don't support any of the pop-up companies. If I were going to use one it would be Charlie Kern in Denver. TOP NOTCH but like ALL the other companies starting up out of nowhere they charge like hell for their services.

This site isn't a sales platform for any companies and I'm glad.
There have been bus conversion companies around a lot longer than this school bus FAD has been on Instagram and Facebook.
I know school buses are hip but if you're truly homeless TOMORROW then a used school bus is one of THE worst ways of being homeless.
Especially if you're paying a small fortune to tart up a used school bus.

If you were just looking to do this out of a personal passion that's one thing. But you've presented it in the context of being homeless tomorrow and needing somewhere to live. The amount of money you're talking about throwing around is a huge amount to most of us here and I'd think you'd be better served not spending that much just to get your toes wet with a new lifestyle.

I'll leave you alone and please don't think I'm trying to pick on you or anything. I'm telling you the same thing I'd tell my own mother if she were in the situation you've described.
—-//
And it was not about the blue..I was referencing the workmanship. Lol-

I appreciate your thoughts even though they may seem a on the tougher side. When I started this process in February, the time frame was indeed a miscalculation on my part.

But I was inspired by the videos I saw online and considering the catastrophic loss I went through over a year ago, this route seemed to be the better alternative, rather than the conventional approach.

After all, the conventional approach of buying a house and all that stuff... didn’t work out for me.

In 2008, who would have thought that within a couple of weeks of closing the housing market would collapse, and the $400k would be lost overnight. Not me, or anyone else around me.

And then, who would have thought, my thriving business would too disintegrate.
Not me, or anyone else around me.

And then, who would have thought, that, was only the beginning. Not me, nor anyone else around me.

In February when I “discovered” this new world of yours, I found it to be very therapeutic. And I also discovered, I had two choices... keep moving forward, or just stay here. Stay here with my thoughts and my tears.

So I chose to keep moving forward.

Anyway, this world of yours gave me inspiration and got me excited with aspiration as to what I could possibly do! But I don’t want to keep boring you.

I actually wanted to tell you, on eBay there’s a 2004 Blue Bird shorty, with 144k... and the owner is very accommodating. The bus is in Texas though, and has one more day of bidding to go. I’m soooo soooo tempted...

As of now, I have two choices, invest on a rental apartment at $2,500 plus a month or stay in a hotel for a couple of days.. And you know what, I really do want a bus. So, I will do whatever I have to do to make this possible.

The irony of it all, back in February, I was even thinking of starting a Skoolie-bound business, that’s how excited I was!!
Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
What if your school bus dream doesn't work out and you've got 50 g's in something you'll get maybe 10 back from?
It can go just as wrong as your home buying experience.

I bought mine for cash after the market imploded and now am about to make 4-5x my investment back.
Its all about timing and resource management. Buy low sell high. If you're a "customer" somewhere you're basically just a nipple of money for others to feed from and that's not how to do things on the cheap.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from your school bus dreams, not at all.
But you're doing it under the gun and with your stated scenario I just don't see how you're not setting yourself up for a very costly and possibly painful lesson.

Do yourself a favor and DRIVE a bus before committing to spending tens of thousands of dollars. And realize that repairs and maintenance are going to be very costly as well.

Will all the money its going to take- well that's why some of us are telling you a coach already converted would put you far ahead of all your goals. all except it having to be a *school* bus. If interstate travel is your plan the coach will be far superior for the many hours of open road driving at speed.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
What if your school bus dream doesn't work out and you've got 50 g's in something you'll get maybe 10 back from?
It can go just as wrong as your home buying experience.

I bought mine for cash after the market imploded and now am about to make 4-5x my investment back.
Its all about timing and resource management. Buy low sell high. If you're a "customer" somewhere you're basically just a nipple of money for others to feed from and that's not how to do things on the cheap.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from your school bus dreams, not at all.
But you're doing it under the gun and with your stated scenario I just don't see how you're not setting yourself up for a very costly and possibly painful lesson.

Do yourself a favor and DRIVE a bus before committing to spending tens of thousands of dollars. And realize that repairs and maintenance are going to be very costly as well.

Will all the money its going to take- well that's why some of us are telling you a coach already converted would put you far ahead of all your goals. all except it having to be a *school* bus. If interstate travel is your plan the coach will be far superior for the many hours of open road driving at speed.
—-/
I’m trying to see a shorty this afternoon. Maybe he’ll let me drive it, maybe he won’t. Did try to take lessons, but that was a no go without a CDL permit.

So, i’m Intrigued... tons of repairs will be needed on going?

I was thinking of a travel trailer, then I would also need a car. If i’m going to buy a car, it has to be a convertible. The whole idea of a bus, the two are combined.
Class A motor home, need a special license as well, and that power brakes thing, a killer!

Ohhh my goodness!!! And by the way, if you bought your home before the crash and you’re going to make so much profit, CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!!
Not only you survived the crash, you are making money too... Take the money and run!!!!!

And hurry, the housing market is heading back down! I know someone who’s down $75,000 in market value just from a few months ago!
Old 06-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #26
Bus Geek

What kind of convertible car are you envisioning towing your home with? Truck, SUV, or van are what most would suggest. Unless you're talking about some sort of micro camper.

And yes buses are very expensive to maintain and repair if you're paying someone to do it all.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
I always find it odd that so many people are ready to pull the trigger on skoolie/life before talking to a single skoolie owner?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
I am so sorry about this, my apologies to skoolie.com owners and any confusion that has arose.

I'm just a webdev that was looking around for skoolie tld's and a price popped up on namecheap.com for skoolie.com which led to the seco listing, and I got curious about it so I posted here.

The original search on namecheap is here - https://www.namecheap.com/domains/re...domain=skoolie

It still shows skoolie.com as the first premium listing and listed for sale, and with your site still active I figured this was the best place to post and ask.

I’m sure Rachel appreciated the alarming news. You did the right thing and I’m glad I saw your posting when I did. Did you see any domains that may be of interest? Best to check Go Daddy and see all the possibilities. Maybe the site you looked into, has all the domains, even if not available.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
I’m sure Rachel appreciated the alarming news. You did the right thing and I’m glad I saw your posting when I did. Did you see any domains that may be of interest? Best to check Go Daddy and see all the possibilities. Maybe the site you looked into, has all the domains, even if not available.
Nevermind.. edit...
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
I saw a few containing only skoolie as the domain name with some of the more recent tlds, but nothing too specific. I miss the days of .com's and .nets being the only major tlds before we had things like .fun and .blue.

I used to use GoDaddy before they changed their support structure, they are still hands down the nicest people to talk to for support but their higher tier tech teams are very lacking IMO. I switched to namecheap about 5-6 years ago and been quite pleased with their hosting/vps'/domain availability.

Generally for specific domain names a nice whois search finds any needed info, and ICANN always has the full lists of valid TLD's.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
I saw a few containing only skoolie as the domain name with some of the more recent tlds, but nothing too specific. I miss the days of .com's and .nets being the only major tlds before we had things like .fun and .blue.

I used to use GoDaddy before they changed their support structure, they are still hands down the nicest people to talk to for support but their higher tier tech teams are very lacking IMO. I switched to namecheap about 5-6 years ago and been quite pleased with their hosting/vps'/domain availability.

Generally for specific domain names a nice whois search finds any needed info, and ICANN always has the full lists of valid TLD's.
—//:
Gosh you’re sooo right! Back then they were DNS... now TLD’s ... I’m surprised people don’t get it confused with TLC’s— Haha!

Do you know your content yet? I wonder if you can create your own DNS root hints... probably not, but the domain extensions are now like you said, just about everything. Maybe they already have a skoolie extension. I think they have .cab and who knows maybe they even have .coach... and if creating your own extension is not an application now, that will probably be, the next step.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
What kind of convertible car are you envisioning towing your home with? Truck, SUV, or van are what most would suggest. Unless you're talking about some sort of micro camper.

And yes buses are very expensive to maintain and repair if you're paying someone to do it all.
—-///
You see that’s the issue.. I will need an SUV. So no matter what, I can’t win!

Saw a skoolie today.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
I always find it odd that so many people are ready to pull the trigger on skoolie/life before talking to a single skoolie owner?
—-//:
I wish I didn’t have to quit, and I wish, I could find a good bus. But i’m Not well versed, much less mechanically inclined.

I saw one on eBay that coughs my eye, auction ends today. It’s a shorty 2004 with a Cat. engine, 144k miles.

The owner is very accommodating as well. I was going to bid, but I don’t feel comfortable bidding without anyone looking at the details first.

The bus is in Texas, so naturally, that’s another issue. But as I said, the owner is willing to work with the buyer, so maybe I should just call him and see what he says.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I'm only going to make this criticism because you're advertising them pretty hard before even owning a bus... But some of the work on their site isn't very impressive.
Look at that one raise roof with all the rippling sheet metal. Or did the owner do the raise themselves and then take it to them?
I wouldn't be showing off a few of those pics on their site.
Just read an article in the local newspaper about a couple that converted a skoolie. The first paragraph stated that their conversion cost them $55,000 - skoolie.com did their conversion for that price. It also had a pretty crude-looking full roof raise. I'm not going to write off skoolie.com being a scam just as much as the entity trying to sell their domain name.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Why is it that some people here begrudge company's like Skoolie .com for running a business and making a profit. If you have the expertise, the tools, the space and all the attributes that it takes to do a conversion then great, if not you have to hire somebody and pay them.
There's a saying, very old and true – or at least very true, if not quite dating back to antiquity: Fast, cheap, and good: pick two. You can have something quickly, you can have something great, or you can have something for not much money, but you can very rarely have all three.
Just my 2 cents.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Why is it that some people here begrudge company's like Skoolie .com for running a business and making a profit. If you have the expertise, the tools, the space and all the attributes that it takes to do a conversion then great, if not you have to hire somebody and pay them.
There's a saying, very old and true – or at least very true, if not quite dating back to antiquity: Fast, cheap, and good: pick two. You can have something quickly, you can have something great, or you can have something for not much money, but you can very rarely have all three.
Just my 2 cents.
Lots of these fly by night companies are taking advantage of folks.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
EC, The buyer beware Ethos has never been more true than it is today. It's a sad statement of the society we live in and the need to do your due diligence has never been more important. I have always lived by the philosophy of never trust totally someone who is trying to sell you something. Their interests will always be ahead of yours.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
you either learn the skills and build it yourself and save the labor money for the stuff you want in it or you pay someone else to do it at there labor rate and material/fixture/ equipment mark up at a minimum of 10% to cover any issues unforseen by them.
a stick and staples cost at least that.
havent seen the skoolie.com one but assume it is at least a steel body skoolie for that price.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote