Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
Skoolie
 
New2Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bemidji MN
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Smile

I sitting about 4,000 right now and I am no where the building stage.

$350 initial service of my bus (Filters, oil, lubrication, etc.)
$650 on steel (Sheet steel for lift, angle iron, tubing, flooring).
$200 fuel
$650 tools (I never did anything worthy of having real tools before).
$100 DMV (Title, plates, tabs.)
$500 (Sprayer, Primer, Plastic, Tape, etc.)
$500 on misc. (Welding rods, Great stuff, Grinding Wheels, odd steel, etc.)

As of today, I have bare metal floors, no interior walls, no exterior skin and major rust removal scheduled while increasing structural supports.

Once, that is done I can do the lift of 16-20 inches and reskin the exterior.
Then, I am ready to prime and start sealing everything up.

My goal is to have a completed shell by the end of the summer months.
Focusing on the interior construction during the winter.
At least what is possible to do during the winter months.

I am expecting to spend $20,000 but, in all reality I wouldn't be surprised to double that over the next year or two. I basically, have to rebuild my bus from the frame up.

An important lesson learned about buying a bus purely based on the mileage.
__________________
D.L. Jones III
"The Independence"
98 International
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,093
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
I sitting about 4,000 right now and I am no where the building stage.

$350 initial service of my bus (Filters, oil, lubrication, etc.)
$650 on steel (Sheet steel for lift, angle iron, tubing, flooring).
$200 fuel
$650 tools (I never did anything worthy of having real tools before).
$100 DMV (Title, plates, tabs.)
$500 (Sprayer, Primer, Plastic, Tape, etc.)
$500 on misc. (Welding rods, Great stuff, Grinding Wheels, odd steel, etc.)

As of today, I have bare metal floors, no interior walls, no exterior skin and major rust removal scheduled while increasing structural supports.

Once, that is done I can do the lift of 16-20 inches and reskin the exterior.
Then, I am ready to prime and start sealing everything up.

My goal is to have a completed shell by the end of the summer months.
Focusing on the interior construction during the winter.
At least what is possible to do during the winter months.

I am expecting to spend $20,000 but, in all reality I wouldn't be surprised to double that over the next year or two. I basically, have to rebuild my bus from the frame up.

An important lesson learned about buying a bus purely based on the mileage.
Sounds about right. Check out my build thread. I'm at least in the rolling shell for 4-5 grand. easily.
But I've got ways of saving a ton of money on the conversion.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I paid 2800 for the bus , have salvaged almost everything and am 90% livable and workable if I have shore power or generator(re-built my old portable for now) just cause I want the genny away from the bus cause its loud. 4500$ in it for now. but rear gears,tire and rim changes, house batteries,DOT propane tank and a good final paint when I finish storage underside is probably going to bring me into the 10,000 range but that is dealing with my 8.2 and 545 and planning on them lasting and save my money for when they do give up.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I'll be looking somewhere in the 10-15 range when I'm done
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #15
Skoolie
 
RC000E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 137
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
As long as anyone going over 20k realizes that regardless how nice, you're never recovering that investment directly, then carry on. Only way I could justify that number is living in it full time, that way it offsets living expense. Otherwise, it'll just be another listing for a 50k converted bus that no one will ever buy.

15k is a good number into a bus...you have full potential for recovery if it's decently put together.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:16 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,093
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
As long as anyone going over 20k realizes that regardless how nice, you're never recovering that investment directly, then carry on. Only way I could justify that number is living in it full time, that way it offsets living expense. Otherwise, it'll just be another listing for a 50k converted bus that no one will ever buy.

15k is a good number into a bus...you have full potential for recovery if it's decently put together.
There's no magic number to spend on a bus to gain one's money back.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:07 AM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Russell, Kansas
Posts: 1,108
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Right now, with bid price, service in California before bringing her home to Texas, fuel to get her here, blanking the windows, trying to get the genny from offgr1d in two weeks, the Webasto from another fellow skoolie, we have about $3500 right now with a budget of $15K to work with in about two weeks. We have most of the appliances already. It's just the hardware to make everything run..........
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #18
Bus Nut
 
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: hills of sw virginia
Posts: 837
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
There's no magic number to spend on a bus to gain one's money back.
expect nothing back, dont let money cloud your dream!
__________________
living in a bus down by the river.
my build pics
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...albums942.html
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,093
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
expect nothing back, dont let money cloud your dream!
Yes, exactly.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,904
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I had a bus previously that was destroyed by fire.. I had done some custom upgrades to it and had a declared value insurance policy on it that paid out and I put that money away and let it grow ear-marked only for a bus.. nothing else. I knew someday id want a bus again... im NOT an investor or a Money guy... im just an Ultra Geek Dude that built a product that a lot of people are buying so theres money.. Money to ENJOY LIFE with!!.. Money that currently supports a good number of other people's Lives to make them happy as well.

thus far..

12k to this point, a Bus with a recently rebuilt engine, all body work complete, school lights and lettering removed nicely, 2 tone paint job, A/C system, New tires... new driver seat, fully serviced, new air compressor, new air dryer (just ordered)..

MINUS 12k - that money in the bank i had earmarked for a bus..

what I have is a bus that I can drive anywhere.. ( I drive it a lot)

the stuff completed for which I dont have tools or skills for,,, to me it was effort better spent having the body work professionally completed rather than buy special tools to perform tasks that id only ever use once.. then either have a tool that never gets used or have to try and sell it on craigslist or fleabay..

I have a BUNCH more $$$ to throw at this project if I choose to do so.. I could care less about the investment.. and care all that this Bus MAKES ME AND OTHERS SMILE!.. (which it does really well)..

see I dont have a wife or kids or a boyfriend or husband... and likely never will (unless the right man comes along..).. very few things truly make me Smile.. But a School bus is one of them!..

so the FULL RECOUP on investment is me being Happy! and thats money made!

my conversion is a minimal of sorts.. I will likely have another 3k or so in building out my 120 volt electrical system, maybe a non-engine A/C, the "glass cockpit controller".. and whatever else I choose..

so im up to what a total of maybe 15k?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.