Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Skoolie Friendly RV parks

Im interested on how many RV parks don't allow skoolies. Is it a common thing, or only in certain few parks? If you have a nice well built skoolie would it be more accepted in those RV parks?

JW6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW6488 View Post
Im interested on how many RV parks don't allow skoolies. Is it a common thing, or only in certain few parks? If you have a nice well built skoolie would it be more accepted in those RV parks?
Parks like that are going to be found mostly where rich retirees spend the winter.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When traveling in my converted Eagle I found a number of parks that would not let me in because of the age of the bus not because it was a bus.

I traveled 40+ states and had the most trouble in Las Vegas and SoCal.

I also found a number of parks that turned me away because of the weight of my dog. Little, yappy ankle biters OK. Big, quite, friendly and we'll behaved Golden Retriever not OK.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Back in the early 2000's, I found that very few places would allow school buses of any kind and/or converted over the road buses. Lately, I've found that skoolies are becoming a bit more accepted because they are getting a lot more popular with people. There will always be snobs that won't allow anything but the top RVs into their parks. A lot of them cite liability as their reason for keeping out conversions. I guess that maybe true for a few. Of course, this is all my opinion.

I would call any RV park I'm interested in or email them and include pics of my unit before showing up. I might throw a pic or two of the bus in there too.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Back in the early 2000's, I found that very few places would allow school buses of any kind and/or converted over the road buses. Lately, I've found that skoolies are becoming a bit more accepted because they are getting a lot more popular with people. There will always be snobs that won't allow anything but the top RVs into their parks. A lot of them cite liability as their reason for keeping out conversions. I guess that maybe true for a few. Of course, this is all my opinion.

I would call any RV park I'm interested in or email them and include pics of my unit before showing up. I might throw a pic or two of the bus in there too.
What is more likely to be the reason is that the Skoolie community are an independent lot, and rather less likely to use expensive "extra' facilities.

Also ... they are more likely to have children than the occupants of a large Class A Motorhome.

Build Thread
Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I've never had a problem with my shuttle bus. I've been using a regular extension cord and don't even need a 30 OR 50 amp plug.
Typically people just want your money.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
My parents full time RV'd for many years starting in the mid 90's, but they always had older RV's (but not a bus). They did have problems in several locations. The problem was with age of the vehicle. I think it was always possible to find someplace, even if it required boondocking at Walmart till the next day to find the place (this was in the pre smartphone days). It just may not be in the location you want to be at.

There were also some member only places of course that you probably couldn't join as well with an older vehicle. There is one place near my house that has the word 'Resort' in the name, and even though I think its not a particularly desirable location right next to the freeway and the spots are packed tightly together, they are membership based, so generally won't take a reservation for a non-member, but will rent you a spot if they have one available if you show up. But only if you have a 10 year old RV or less. I am always surprised someone hasn't won a Fair housing suit against these places.

Anyway, stay away from 'Resorts' and I think you will always be able to find a place eventually.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
When traveling in my converted Eagle I found a number of parks that would not let me in because of the age of the bus not because it was a bus.

I traveled 40+ states and had the most trouble in Las Vegas and SoCal.

I also found a number of parks that turned me away because of the weight of my dog. Little, yappy ankle biters OK. Big, quite, friendly and we'll behaved Golden Retriever not OK.
Lol...now, everyone knows a big dog is more dangerous...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Always have a few places picked,and if it says rv on the plate tell them its a rv.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
ive never been turned away
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post

They're probably not interested in small units.......most spaces are a lot longer than 3".

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I think the bigger RV resorts (or campground chains) cater toward the "upper class" (or rich retiree, as previously mentioned) - I have only been turned away from one RV Resport (they simply said "we don't allow buses..." I have heard some say RVs can't be older than 10 years - "for insurance purposes" - which is another silly reason) - and that was the last RV resort I tried. I use National, State, or County Parks - and have never been turned away from any of them.
I really like the National and State Parks. Usually great trails for me and my big dog. I usually find ones with kayaking or bike trails. My only need is a shower every so often - and the price is usually a lot less than resorts ($20-$30) - some have primitive camping for $5 - $15 - no power or water hook up (but unlimited use of hot showers!!)

Note: I have had folks in mega $$$ RVs applaud me and smile as I drive by - many will tell me they are jealous of my bus and ask for a tour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8120.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	19856
Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Lol...now, everyone knows a big dog is more dangerous...

No doubt! He may have love someone to death...

I am seriously considering cutting a Wanderlodge emblem for the front of my Bluebird. Conversion? No, it's a Wanderlodge......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Worth also bearing in mind that many state park and federal campgrounds that don't have an RV spot for a 40-footer, may well be able to fit it into the basic camping areas. You just won't have hook-ups. It's always worth asking.

Build Thread
Old 03-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
No doubt! He may have love someone to death...

I am seriously considering cutting a Wanderlodge emblem for the front of my Bluebird. Conversion? No, it's a Wanderlodge......
If the manager is young enough they'd be totally baffled...lol...tell them it's a restored classic

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote