Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Skoolie magazine

Is there any-one good magazine out there that can offer info, insight, and good reading about rving full-time /building or upgrading. Or basically anything that can help me with this journey into rving.

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
escappy web site i think they have a mag. I think that what its called i believe. lots of discounts on stuff.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
escappy web site i think they have a mag. I think that what its called i believe. lots of discounts on stuff.
Ive found alot of books which of course ive bought, but looking to stay up to date on all things rv..
Old 11-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Roll Your Own is the definitive source for skoolies.... LOL That old book is a GREAT coffee table piece. Everyone gets a kick out of it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Roll Your Own is the definitive source for skoolies.... LOL That old book is a GREAT coffee table piece. Everyone gets a kick out of it.
Ive got how to build a skoolie, rvers bible and life on the road full-time rving. *those may not be actual titles*. Gotta find some on solar, wiring and rv and whatever is out there..lol
Old 11-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
As you've probably already figured out internet is king but navigating it to tap into other categories that may have useful info for the piece of the puzzle I'm working on is key.

Lot's of good info about food trucks that can be used in buses and RV's...also looking to forums that might deal with engines might help...lot's of 7.3l diesels in pickups as well as short buses.

Seems like when I pick up magazines about Rv's and campers, their budget is a little much for my cheap ass.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCog View Post
As you've probably already figured out internet is king but navigating it to tap into other categories that may have useful info for the piece of the puzzle I'm working on is key.

Lot's of good info about food trucks that can be used in buses and RV's...also looking to forums that might deal with engines might help...lot's of 7.3l diesels in pickups as well as short buses.

Seems like when I pick up magazines about Rv's and campers, their budget is a little much for my cheap ass.
I cant even find a RV magazine to thumb through. I agree, think all of my ifo will have to come from internet and whatever books i may stumble across.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
No mention of Bus Conversion Magazine?
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceps View Post
That is exactly what ive been looking for! TYVM
Old 11-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceps View Post

Anyone here subscribe to this? Seems like a pretty cool publication, I might sign up if its any good.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I had a subscription for nearly ten years back when I had a BB. Pretty good info but more geared to transit styles than Skoolies.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Anyone here subscribe to this? Seems like a pretty cool publication, I might sign up if its any good.
I just subscribed to the online, kind on the expensive side for my cheap a$$.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Yes i have, tried online version but had problems downloading, so now im waiting on a hard copy
Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
BCM is mostly focused towards tour/Greyhound type buses such as MCIs, Eagles and GMs, with a few transits also. If you don't have a bus like that, you'll notice some members may not be as open to you than if you had a bus like theirs. I'm a member however, and I find it indispensable for the accumulated wisdom and information on my engine and transmission - my Crown's drivetrain is exactly the same as some MC9s' and Eagles'.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
BCM is mostly focused towards tour/Greyhound type buses such as MCIs, Eagles and GMs, with a few transits also. If you don't have a bus like that, you'll notice some members may not be as open to you than if you had a bus like theirs. I'm a member however, and I find it indispensable for the accumulated wisdom and information on my engine and transmission - my Crown's drivetrain is exactly the same as some MC9s' and Eagles'.

John
I want it for the ideas, keep up to date on the latest gagets and such.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its interesting how attitudes vary... seems some circles look down on skoolies yet the people i run into on a daily basis are totally into the idea.. maybe just the places i frequent and have the bus out..

I run into most people saying "Oh how cool.. I wish I could have a school bus of my own!"

I spent as lot of years driving a Brand new Prevost conversion back and forth from ohio to florida and sometimes other places.. (the 2 guys that owned it never let anyone else drive it but me).. yes it was a fantastic piece of Luxury machinary .. 400 HP moved that thing through the hills like no ones business and as fasr as sleeping quarters were it was totally stylin... cameras everywhere to help drive it.. exhaust brakes, leather heated seats, you name it..

but really I get a much bigger grin on my face when I take the skoolies out to play.

seems like a mag should welcome anyone who shares the interest and hobby and even business / living of owning / converting and enjoying a bus whether a $1800 skoolie or a 800k Prevost..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Agreed, honestly those 800k motorhomes are nice, but i dont like them. I driven them slept in them, just doesnt impress me.. i love schoolies. I used to play in a schoolie that was put out to pasture (literally ) when i was a kid.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
Agreed, honestly those 800k motorhomes are nice, but i dont like them. I driven them slept in them, just doesnt impress me.. i love schoolies. I used to play in a schoolie that was put out to pasture (literally ) when i was a kid.
for me its being a Bus Geek that likes skoolies better than coaches...

my bus driver in late junior high all through high school and I became friends... she was a bus geek too.. i sat right behind her on the bus.. she was the most seniority driver and so we had a new bus every year.. she got to drive the EVAL units.. when we got a new bus each summer.. she would practice drive her route a week or so before school started.. she always called me and picked me up so id be the first one to ride in the new bus...
I got to drive her personal superior when I turned 16...

cool stuff... yeah im a skoolie forever..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for me its being a Bus Geek that likes skoolies better than coaches...

my bus driver in late junior high all through high school and I became friends... she was a bus geek too.. i sat right behind her on the bus.. she was the most seniority driver and so we had a new bus every year.. she got to drive the EVAL units.. when we got a new bus each summer.. she would practice drive her route a week or so before school started.. she always called me and picked me up so id be the first one to ride in the new bus...
I got to drive her personal superior when I turned 16...

cool stuff... yeah im a skoolie forever..

-Christopher
I had a job as a school bus driver, i got to spend some time crawling around in-under and around them.. but after a week i was told they didnt pay until school started which was like 2 months away..lol. so ive never driven one but i want to build my own rolling palace. Im finally at a point in life i can do it.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Don't be down on BCM, they're good people. I've been a tag along at many of their "non rally" rallies and have always been treated as an equal. Actually, we just returned yesterday from their latest non rally at Lake Mead Nevada. There were 19 coaches and one skoolie---mine.

Granted, there are many well healed older people in the group but there are also a substantial number of poorer folks who of one necessity or another live full time in their buses. A lot can be learned from reading BCM's magazine. Almost every issue has a history of one bus build or another. I'm happy to say that even my skoolie has been included in the magazine. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote