Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 7.2
Angry So much confusion !! Makes me want to bury my head in the sand

So here it is... I am preparing to buy a bus.. currently looking at some bluebirds.. 77 passenger to start a conversion... losing my dads house as he passed away and house is foreclosing... I am on a limited budget and limited in ability as disabled back and neck issues... so to not make any mistakes what bluebirds should i stay away from... i saw that a bunch of TC-3000's had transmission issues but that could be the way they were driven etc... i would love to get some serious answers regarding my purchase before i bite the bullet and jump on one.. I don't even know if i can complete it as i am disabled and only get a few great days a week the rest STINK I figure i have about a year to make it something i can load all my crap into but there are certain things we all need to live...

Any help in deciding what to buy would be greatly appreciated..

Call me Bird

SilentReprieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Need more details on what your intended use will be. Go to your UserCP (upper left) and fill out your profile letting us know a little about you and where your from for area specific help
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Skoolie

got it , thank you
Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird Handybus
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 14
From what I have read and was just in a similar boat I decided to go with a DT466E power plant for reliability. There are some great threads on here. Why not start with a short bus project rather then jump into a large bus?
Enjoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
Skoolie

The reason I want a larger bus is because there are TOO many things i am unwilling to let go of YET... I have a young dog that requires a bit of room ... i also have a 24 foot trailer i need to bring with me with my tool box tools toys etc... So yeah still confused but the buses i am looking at with little to NO descriptions are 1994 and 1995 77 passenger bluebird TC 2000 FE with 130,000 miles..
... they are still on the roster and i can inspect them when i need to...5.9 and allison... no idea of which allison I would much rather have an 8.3 and then a DT466 but that isnt whats available to me at this time , however i have to jump the gun on something here pretty fast .. i am a retired / disabled auto mechanic , have done carpentry have many tools , lots of know how but ... LOTS OF CONFUSION...
Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Do I understand correctly that you want to pull a 24' trailer behind the bus?

If so, check the maximum combined length in the states that you will be traveling. A 24' trailer behind a 40' bus may not be legal in some states.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72

If so, check the maximum combined length in the states that you will be traveling. A 24' trailer behind a 40' bus may not be legal in some states.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
That bus will be a 5.9 Cummins backed up to an AT545 tranny, the least desirable for towing or sustained high speed or mountain passes. You may find restrictions or trouble finding places that will allow parking one that long and a trailer, you'll be exceeding 65'. What's the rush. It really pays to take a little time and get what you want if you plan on keeping it any length of time.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I did but not with a 77 passenger, My plan was to buy a medium sized bus for that idea but will have to get a smaller trailer if i am going to tow with the 40 ft
The plan keeps changing as the days go by... the only thing i know is I want a schoolie not a motorhome as the FED regulations is that a bus must support one and a half times of of the weight of the total bus ... STRENGTH is why I wont do anything else... My plan is to find a parcel of land down south to park the bus on and live in it either until i build or repair a structure or existing structure, or in the BUS full time... availability makes all the differences in what choices will be made later... As far as the build... well thats a lot of discussion to be addressed as each thing comes up... i have full size appliances and a load of STUFF that i will leave in boxes until i decide wether or not i will be keeping it or full time schoollie
Old 03-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That bus will be a 5.9 Cummins backed up to an AT545 tranny, the least desirable for towing or sustained high speed or mountain passes. You may find restrictions or trouble finding places that will allow parking one that long and a trailer, you'll be exceeding 65'. What's the rush. It really pays to take a little time and get what you want if you plan on keeping it any length of time.
the rush is i have to pack up a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car detached garage and a 24 X 48 pole barn with collections of all sorts tools of all sorts spare parts of all sorts, as well as build a bus to suitable usable condition... all while being on disability with little to no money, and within a year before my home is taken back by the bank...

This is a scary endeavor, and the amount of information available to me is limited without hands on experience ...
Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Skoolie

I would like to thank everyone for their input and the time they are taking to read and view and maybe reply to my thread...i think we tend to forget to thank someone for their help ...remember It really is all the little things in life that make a difference in our lives
Old 03-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
If your bus will be a movable house rather than an RV the running gear doesn't matter much as long as it gets you to the final parking place. An RV, especially one that will be towing needs the "right stuff."
Old 03-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Skoolie

I agree with you Roach...the plan may change later and the bus as well as i dont own one yet but am planning on one within the next 30 days...
Old 03-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Go with the one that has the best running and towing tranny that you can find?
Tear out the seats.
Load your stuff and a bed and hit the road.
Figure out what's missing while you live in it?
The first piece of land you find might not be it.
It is always hard to leave tools behind especially vintage stuff.
If you get a full size then you an build a garage in the back and live up front?
I know that would be tough cause I want two more skoolies for a mobile welding shop and one for a mobile woodworking shop but I really want one for my real hobby of blacksmithing?
I guess truth be told?
Figure out your priorities of what you have to have in a mobile platform with attachments or sell the stuff and start over.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
Skoolie

well my collectibles consist of gifts from my children, collections from my father, etc... my tools consist of full rolllaway, welder, large compressor, jacks , stands, table saw, air tools of various things ... impacts.. ratchets.. saws..cut off tools... etc... also i have air nailers brad nailers framing nailers.. i can weld minimally i can build what i need to i can run electrical..plumbing..etc... so the aspect of building it... thats kind of the easy part... living in the salt belt, i know not to buy rust ... done enough of that already... yes i can wish or hope for just the right stuff... HIGH CEILINGS 8.3 645 ZERO RUST... the list can go on for days. . I plan to remove the ceilings and spray with closed cell insulation on the ceiling and walls.. floors are a must... however insulating the floors may not get done... I'm 6'3 and already have neck issues that they want to operate on again... I'm not having it unless its a matter of being paralyzed... but yeah pretty much make it suitable for living in.. and figuring it all out after ...would love a fireplace... I have a portable AC unit already...i really want a bathroom, and need a wash tub for at least the dog... it doesn't have to be a perfect thing... just suitable for the time being... sometimes basic is the best... I am really tossed about the bathroom as i like being able to empty a tank rather than composting, but if its parked either a septic system for a toilet or i may have to play in the pooh
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Go with the one that has the best running and towing tranny that you can find?
Tear out the seats.
Load your stuff and a bed and hit the road.

Figure out your priorities of what you have to have in a mobile platform with attachments or sell the stuff and start over.
that is kind of how i feel too Jolly Roger... just packing a few boxes of this and that trying to decide whats important to me and whats not etc is a nightmare.. I have a place with a yard big enough to work on it for now but in a year that may not be an option...
Old 03-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Man this situation sucks. I know its more money but would you be better off getting a storage unit for now and getting in a bus. I just know how hard it is ti downsize. We have lived on our house 6 yrs and it is like where the hell did we get all this stuff. We want to get down to a suitcase and a toolbox plus the drones and computer. But we have the next few years to get there. Just figure if stuff was in storage it would give you more sort time plus time to make room/shelf/underboxes on the bus for what you keep. Alot of ambitious people with some money a friends helping take a few months to build one and thats a quick timeline. I wish you the best and keep us posted.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, conversion, thomas blubird