Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Shopping
Chassis: Shopping
Engine: Shopping
So what's it like ..?

Hi folks
OK so I am new but trust me this question is not as naive as it sounds but .....

What's it like to drive one of these big girls ? I'm referencing like the LC 2000 ...
What do I need to know ...

I know how to navigate the ocean a little bit .. so I catch on fast .. I'm just asking for good tips do's and dont's etc.

Thanks, this is a great site BTW.

Alan

britishroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: So what's it like ..?

My bus is pretty easy to drive. It's about 35 feet from front to back. I just give myself more room to stop, and swing a little wider on the turns. I haven't killed anybody or run over anything yet!
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Cool m/c thanks ..
Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You need to be engaged in driving while driving a bus, but other than that it really is easy. It is important to be paying attention to the mirrors a lot as well as the gauges. A person must pay attention to turning radius and plan a little ahead. It is not difficult and is rather enjoyable, but that said there are only a few of my friends I trust driving my bus, not for the sake of me or the bus itself, but rather for the sake of the family of 4 in the Honda Accord that is following a little too close that might only be seen if a person is being observant and deliberate in driving.

Oh yeah...it's a whole hell of a lot of fun too.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Well, I've got a 35 foot bus. Driving it was no problem--my first time driving a bus. The problem occured trying to get the thing up my driveway. I trimmed the growth beforehand, I trimmened when I got there,it wasn't quite enough, and I'm still trimming. Since then I've spread five 10 yd trucks of gravel on my drive (it's 400'). A small dent on a bus is the equivalent of a quarter panel on a car, and the sheet metal is much thicker.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Bus Geek

every summer i take a 5K mile road trip with my bus. We take turns driving so that we only every have to stop for fuel and food and are able to average about 50 mph including stops (pretty good for a vehicle that cruises 60)

i've taught several people to drive a bus over the past few years. There is no easier place to drive a bus than on the expressway. We talk about how it takes forever to stop a bus compared to a car so following distance is important, and the fact that driving down the mountains is a good way to die in a bus, and we don't have to worry much about turning radius until it comes time for the gas station.

The fuel tank tends to be located on the passenger side. To make a 90 degree right turn in order to pull up to an auto diesel fuel pump can be tricky at first. I practiced this maneuver when i got my first bus by setting up a couple of orange cones in an empty parking lot.

Properly adjusted mirrors are super important. With good mirrors you can watch your rear tires run over the curb when you're a little too close....or you can see that honda civic next to you BEFORE you get over. Buses even come with what i call "bus driver mirrors"

they allow you to see what's right in front of the bus too. I like to adjust them so that i can see the sides of the bus instead...they help to reduce blind spots as they look places your other mirrors don't. If you have to back up when there are lots of people or traffic around, or if it's just a really tight squeeze like some parking lot that was never meant for a bus or parallel parking along a city street GET A SPOTTER.

One feature i think every bus should have....but i never get around to doing, is side mounted turn signals. I think that 1 or 2 turn signals on the side of the bus would make changing lanes in heavy traffic much safer and easier.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I've got just two words to add.

STAY RIGHT!!!!!

Remember you are in the colonies and the last thing I need is some englishman in his 20,000 lb death machine sending me into the next world because of a silly habit he has of driving on the left.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #8

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
The fuel tank tends to be located on the passenger side. To make a 90 degree right turn in order to pull up to an auto diesel fuel pump can be tricky at first. I practiced this maneuver when i got my first bus by setting up a couple of orange cones in an empty parking lot.
I couldn't find cones, so I used two old ladies and a kid on a bike.

Driving a flat front and a dog nose are total different. If you have the chance, maybe at a bus dealer, drive both to see which one you like better. Turning radius seems to be better in my flat front.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I couldn't find cones, so I used two old ladies and a kid on a bike.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

OK so now I've got it ... I need a young kid on a bike, and old lady and a steering wheel on the middle close to the rear and a night light so I can avoid all these darn foreigners ... simple ...

Seriously thanks for the input and the humor
Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Many buses have a very long rear overhang. It is quite possible to strike something with that overhang while you are turning. The biggest risk is perhaps when you pull away from the fuel island. It may seem necessary to start turning as soon as you begin moving, and then the outside rear corner smacks the Tokheim and The World Goes Up In Flames. So make a habit of pulling in several feet from the pumps, and watch that tail in general.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote