Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Good thread, Crazycal! The time laps between when I joined Skoolie.net and when I actually bought a bus got me some ribbing (including some from myself); however, I'm glad I didn't snatch up just any bus only to end up saying, "Gee I wish it was..."

I accept its shortcomings - those of which I can't feasibly change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycal
Don't be a pennywise, pound foolish, tightwad cheapskate and complain about your purchase after the fact. If you are a tightwad, embrace it but don't come here and cry about it.
Perhaps if you must have a "cheap" RV the stix-n-staples type is the way to go. They're easier to unload if you change your mind later. If you want a really good RV without paying a quarter mil, it's harder to beat a school bus.

As for tires, it's not a place to cheap out. Like the old Michelin ads said, "...because there's so much riding on your tires." Even a set of new Chinese rubber is likely better than old, especially with visible cracks.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #22

trying to "edjumacate" my brain...

Hi Ya'll, I'm in my educate-myself stage of buying a bus for a conversion. We are looking at Class D style busses. What do you all feel about a Thomas Built with an International DT466 and an Allison MD3060 transmission? Any advice would be super helpful, also year recommendations. Thank you soon much!!!
-K
KrissyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You'd do better asking that in a separate, introductory thread of your own.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyLeigh View Post
Hi Ya'll, I'm in my educate-myself stage of buying a bus for a conversion. We are looking at Class D style busses. What do you all feel about a Thomas Built with an International DT466 and an Allison MD3060 transmission? Any advice would be super helpful, also year recommendations. Thank you soon much!!!
-K
Welcome.

That sounds like a great drive line.

The DT466 is a great engine, and the MD3060 is the best trans you can get in a bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Yep, just as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #26

Thanks

Thank you Nat_Ster. EastCoastCB; I will do that thanks!
-K
KrissyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #27

Hey there! Im a new wannabe skoolie, Im planning on buying a bus within 2 years, still doing lots O research,, need opinions, engine in the front middle or rear, all information, and opinions are welcome.
thanks
summersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
^^^^^^^
Are you joking or did you not read the first 2 pages of this thread?

There's a lot of opinions, and a lot of factors to weigh. Like was said earlier, search on this site first before asking/starting a new thread.

I am a compulsive question-answerer and when I see a post like that, I end up wasting the next 5 minutes crafting a thoughtful and informative post that Ive probably written a dozen times before!

I'm not tryna make you feel bad. We gotta clean this place up, especially as skoolies become popular. It's like groundhog day around here with the number of times i see the same questions!
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:38 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
I'm not tryna make you feel bad. We gotta clean this place up, especially as skoolies become popular. It's like groundhog day around here with the number of times i see the same questions!
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersj View Post
engine in the front middle or real
The only midship powered buses (I think) are Crowns, and unless you have money for parts, forget about it. Nice buses, but no longer being manufactured. When it comes to power plant, placement, and style (forward control [aka transit] or conventional) is what you are going to be using it for.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
^^^^^^^
Are you joking or did you not read the first 2 pages of this thread?

There's a lot of opinions, and a lot of factors to weigh. Like was said earlier, search on this site first before asking/starting a new thread.

I am a compulsive question-answerer and when I see a post like that, I end up wasting the next 5 minutes crafting a thoughtful and informative post that Ive probably written a dozen times before!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersj View Post
Im planning on buying a bus within 2 years
2 years? Don't you think that's a little long to wait...buy a bus and get building!
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #32
Bus Geek

2 years is a good thing.

Look for a perfect bus, and keep saving more money.

Everything always cost more than what you think it will..

I'm glad to see others trying to clean this site up. It's getting stupid around here.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 11-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #33

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Summersj, please start another thread for you questions. I don't want this thread cluttered with personal questions.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Look, I'm trying, really I am. I've spent easy a hundred hours reading this site. But the info is all over the place, and the search function sucks raw eggs, so I ask:

Is there a size difference between buses with 72, 74, 78, and 84 seats? And by size, I mean 'enclosed area available for building stuff into'.

Do buses come longer than 40 feet? I've only gone to look at two of them so far and neither were even 40' long. I've never heard anyone mention that they just bought a 44' foot bus in great shape. Maybe there's a law or regulation, like there is evidently about '15 years and you're outta here'.

This is mainly why I am limiting my search to flat nose rear engine buses. They look to have the most cubic foot bang for the buck. And I want the engine to make noise where someone is trying to take a nap, not where I'm trying to drive the bus and read a GPS at the same time.

-Dan

If this should have been in a different thread, I'm sure you'll tell me.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
45ft long

my 2 cents,
I have read that federal law does not allow a vehicle with only 2 axles to be over 45ft long under normal circumstances
Old 11-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Look, I'm trying, really I am. I've spent easy a hundred hours reading this site. But the info is all over the place, and the search function sucks raw eggs, so I ask:

Is there a size difference between buses with 72, 74, 78, and 84 seats? And by size, I mean 'enclosed area available for building stuff into'.

Do buses come longer than 40 feet? I've only gone to look at two of them so far and neither were even 40' long. I've never heard anyone mention that they just bought a 44' foot bus in great shape. Maybe there's a law or regulation, like there is evidently about '15 years and you're outta here'.

This is mainly why I am limiting my search to flat nose rear engine buses. They look to have the most cubic foot bang for the buck. And I want the engine to make noise where someone is trying to take a nap, not where I'm trying to drive the bus and read a GPS at the same time.

-Dan

If this should have been in a different thread, I'm sure you'll tell me.
OK here is what I learnt from the googles and from looking at different buses regarding inside space.

Caveat emptor, ymmv, wysiwyg, it's worth what you paid, most old timers here will say i'm full of baloney, etc...

How many passengers when you are talking 72 or 84 etc usually translates to kindergarten size passengers, 6 across. Divide the number of seats by 6 to get a number of rows.

Each row of 6 represents 25" to 30" of inside space north to south, depending on the specific model of bus. Not counting the wheel wells.

My school bus is an 84 passenger. That's 14 rows. 14 x 25 in = 29.17 ft. My actual inside space from the back of the driver's seat to the front of the engine bay is just a little more than that.

There may be newer school buses around longer than 40', I have not seen one.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #37
Bus Geek

No school bus can be over 40 feet.

Some states / provinces have 37 foot maximums.

Coach style buses are up to 45 feet long.

Nat

Old 11-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
2 years is a good thing.

Look for a perfect bus, and keep saving more money.

Everything always cost more than what you think it will..

I'm glad to see others trying to clean this site up. It's getting stupid around here.

Nat
Two years? Compared with how long I waited, that's hardly any time!

Nat's comment is right on the money, 'specially since buses can be hard to sell off if you decide you bought the wrong kind.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #39
Bus Geek

My first bus what the WRONG bus and it was FREE and running.
Cost me thousands in fees and lawsuits... long story.
Took me more than TEN years to finally get another and this time it was the RIGHT bus.

Anything worth doin, worth doin right.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGIBoughtABus View Post
OK here is what I learnt from the googles and from looking at different buses regarding inside space.

Caveat emptor, ymmv, wysiwyg, it's worth what you paid, most old timers here will say i'm full of baloney, etc...

How many passengers when you are talking 72 or 84 etc usually translates to kindergarten size passengers, 6 across. Divide the number of seats by 6 to get a number of rows.

Each row of 6 represents 25" to 30" of inside space north to south, depending on the specific model of bus. Not counting the wheel wells.

My school bus is an 84 passenger. That's 14 rows. 14 x 25 in = 29.17 ft. My actual inside space from the back of the driver's seat to the front of the engine bay is just a little more than that.

There may be newer school buses around longer than 40', I have not seen one.
My 84 passenger was a 40' bus.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote