Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #21
Bus Nut
 
Skunky Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 370
Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Good thread, Crazycal! The time laps between when I joined Skoolie.net and when I actually bought a bus got me some ribbing (including some from myself); however, I'm glad I didn't snatch up just any bus only to end up saying, "Gee I wish it was..."

I accept its shortcomings - those of which I can't feasibly change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycal
Don't be a pennywise, pound foolish, tightwad cheapskate and complain about your purchase after the fact. If you are a tightwad, embrace it but don't come here and cry about it.
Perhaps if you must have a "cheap" RV the stix-n-staples type is the way to go. They're easier to unload if you change your mind later. If you want a really good RV without paying a quarter mil, it's harder to beat a school bus.

As for tires, it's not a place to cheap out. Like the old Michelin ads said, "...because there's so much riding on your tires." Even a set of new Chinese rubber is likely better than old, especially with visible cracks.
__________________
Any action for which there is no logical explanation will be deemed "company policy."
- Akvol's Second Law of the Corporation
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #22
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 9
trying to "edjumacate" my brain...

Hi Ya'll, I'm in my educate-myself stage of buying a bus for a conversion. We are looking at Class D style busses. What do you all feel about a Thomas Built with an International DT466 and an Allison MD3060 transmission? Any advice would be super helpful, also year recommendations. Thank you soon much!!!
-K
KrissyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,176
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
You'd do better asking that in a separate, introductory thread of your own.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,937
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyLeigh View Post
Hi Ya'll, I'm in my educate-myself stage of buying a bus for a conversion. We are looking at Class D style busses. What do you all feel about a Thomas Built with an International DT466 and an Allison MD3060 transmission? Any advice would be super helpful, also year recommendations. Thank you soon much!!!
-K
Welcome.

That sounds like a great drive line.

The DT466 is a great engine, and the MD3060 is the best trans you can get in a bus.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #25
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,176
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yep, just as mentioned earlier in this thread.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #26
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 9
Thanks

Thank you Nat_Ster. EastCoastCB; I will do that thanks!
-K
KrissyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #27
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Hey there! Im a new wannabe skoolie, Im planning on buying a bus within 2 years, still doing lots O research,, need opinions, engine in the front middle or rear, all information, and opinions are welcome.
thanks
summersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 AM   #28
Bus Nut
 
charles_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 489
Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
^^^^^^^
Are you joking or did you not read the first 2 pages of this thread?

There's a lot of opinions, and a lot of factors to weigh. Like was said earlier, search on this site first before asking/starting a new thread.

I am a compulsive question-answerer and when I see a post like that, I end up wasting the next 5 minutes crafting a thoughtful and informative post that Ive probably written a dozen times before!

I'm not tryna make you feel bad. We gotta clean this place up, especially as skoolies become popular. It's like groundhog day around here with the number of times i see the same questions!
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #29
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
I'm not tryna make you feel bad. We gotta clean this place up, especially as skoolies become popular. It's like groundhog day around here with the number of times i see the same questions!
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersj View Post
engine in the front middle or real
The only midship powered buses (I think) are Crowns, and unless you have money for parts, forget about it. Nice buses, but no longer being manufactured. When it comes to power plant, placement, and style (forward control [aka transit] or conventional) is what you are going to be using it for.
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #30
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,176
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
^^^^^^^
Are you joking or did you not read the first 2 pages of this thread?

There's a lot of opinions, and a lot of factors to weigh. Like was said earlier, search on this site first before asking/starting a new thread.

I am a compulsive question-answerer and when I see a post like that, I end up wasting the next 5 minutes crafting a thoughtful and informative post that Ive probably written a dozen times before!

I'm not tryna make you feel bad. We gotta clean this place up, especially as skoolies become popular. It's like groundhog day around here with the number of times i see the same questions!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.