Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #81
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: Iternational
Engine: DT530E MD3060
Rated Cap: 80
Thumbs up

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #82
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Carpenter SB 2508
Engine: Navistar DTA360 disel inline 6 cyl, 5.9L
Unhappy

[QUOTE=Booyah45828;310564]

At the end of the day, your order of operations for question posts should be.

1.Search for posts that have already answered your question.
2.Start a new thread asking your question.
3.Ask one of the site team members or frequent posters your question.
4.Derail a thread with something unrelated.

I always thought we were a tolerant bunch, because some aren't familiar with forums and their etiquette, but maybe we're not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ME: Great post, but as a Noob I have no idea how to search posts, start a new thread, who's a site team member, and what does "derail a thread" mean?

I am super excited to have found Skoolie.net because you all have a ton of experience and willingness to share your expertise. However, I have absolutely no idea how to navigate the website, how to post, and am completely confused by your shorthand language.

So - old bus dudes - I would love some guidance on how to use the website - just point me to a string please. Cheers, Kathy
Old 05-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
[QUOTE=Kaklehr;324326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

At the end of the day, your order of operations for question posts should be.

1.Search for posts that have already answered your question.
2.Start a new thread asking your question.
3.Ask one of the site team members or frequent posters your question.
4.Derail a thread with something unrelated.

I always thought we were a tolerant bunch, because some aren't familiar with forums and their etiquette, but maybe we're not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ME: Great post, but as a Noob I have no idea how to search posts, start a new thread, who's a site team member, and what does "derail a thread" mean?

I am super excited to have found Skoolie.net because you all have a ton of experience and willingness to share your expertise. However, I have absolutely no idea how to navigate the website, how to post, and am completely confused by your shorthand language.

So - old bus dudes - I would love some guidance on how to use the website - just point me to a string please. Cheers, Kathy
If you look above to the right you will see a search bar. You can search this site from there or search in Google. Use the search for the site and ask your question there, it will bring up numerous threads on the subject here. You can read those before deciding if you need more input.
At the top left of each forum you will see a "New Thread" prompt for starting a new thread. Derailing or hijacking a thread is making posts that are off topic.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #84

Year: ?
Chassis: ?
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: ?
Honestly as a noob this would be amazing to get even a bit of knowledge from a well established person. Personally I would appreciate the hell out of it.
Rolling_Adventure24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:47 AM   #85

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Might I ask which post exactly this is in response to? One of the things I've particularly liked about this community is their goodhearted tolerance of fools. Post your "intro" message in the Cummins engine forum; no problem. Run your entire build thread out of the "newbies introduce yourself forum"; no problem. Ask an uninfomed question that's been answered a hundred times elsewhere; no problem. Lots of other behavior that rubs my anal-retentive the wrong way; no problem. We do say "go read it all" quite a bit, and that gets more difficult by the day as the archives grow, but it is what it is.

- grouchy old bus (wannabe) dude
Quoted for truth!!!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #86
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Quoted for truth!!!
Whoa! Man, seeing you on here this am sure is a surprise! How you doing?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:32 AM   #87

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Whoa! Man, seeing you on here this am sure is a surprise! How you doing?
I am alive. That is a good start I think.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:28 AM   #88
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I am alive. That is a good start I think.
Glad you are, sir.

You should get that bus over here for the feb get-together.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #89

I would love that thread. Total newbie here and starting to look up buses and figure out what’s going to work for us and I wish there was a thread with guidance bc I don’t know anything about school buses!!!!
Bbasile1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Be realistic when deciding the size of bus to buy. This is important because:

You want a bus you can legally drive. Do you have a Class B license?

Fuel Economy. Can you afford the gas for the giant bus?

Where are you driving? Are you going to be on the open plains or in urban areas? Are you going to be able to find a parking spot for your giant bus?

Are you going to tow a Toad? If so are you going to be over size?

A small bus has some benefits like not requiring any more that a class C, better fuel economy, easier to park in parking spaces and RV parks, possibly better at driving dirt and gravel roads.

Short buses typically have engine/transmission combinations that are well suited for long haul highway driving.

Parts are easier to get and less expensive. A lot are available right out of the local parts shop.

Of course there are drawbacks to a short bus.

Because many are cutaway vans, they are harder to work on because of space limitations.

Limited space inside, underside and on top. This means much more engineering is required to make it all fit. The small bus will also shorten how long it can go without the tanks being emptied or resupplied.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #91
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Be realistic when deciding the size of bus to buy. This is important because:

You want a bus you can legally drive. Do you have a Class B license?

Fuel Economy. Can you afford the gas for the giant bus?

Where are you driving? Are you going to be on the open plains or in urban areas? Are you going to be able to find a parking spot for your giant bus?

Are you going to tow a Toad? If so are you going to be over size?

A small bus has some benefits like not requiring any more that a class C, better fuel economy, easier to park in parking spaces and RV parks, possibly better at driving dirt and gravel roads.

Short buses typically have engine/transmission combinations that are well suited for long haul highway driving.

Parts are easier to get and less expensive. A lot are available right out of the local parts shop.

Of course there are drawbacks to a short bus.

Because many are cutaway vans, they are harder to work on because of space limitations.

Limited space inside, underside and on top. This means much more engineering is required to make it all fit. The small bus will also shorten how long it can go without the tanks being emptied or resupplied.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
I understand that constant questions being repeated over and over gets old, and annoying at times. But when I read this thread, it just makes one feel unwelcome. I am not trying to shame or anger anyone. Especially the moderators, and long time members that have given me so much advice, and helped me shape my dreams into a reality. I joined this site over 2 years ago with the intention of building a conversion from a shuttle bus. But, due to the way some posters replied, I decided to leave for a while as I focused on another project. I completed that project a few months back, and knew I was finally at the point to buy my conversion vehicle. It took me over 2 years of planning, and buying/ collecting parts, along with a lot of research. The advice many give of buy the bus before planning is logical for many. But some people(like me) dont start projects of the time and cost these large projects can be, without a lot of research and planning. I was told many times, in not so friendly ways, that my planning and collecting of parts was a bad way to go about my build. Yes, changes will always need to be made once a project like these start. But to be made to feel it is the only way, is unacceptable. Everybody in life has a way of doing things. What works for me, may not work for others. Or your(general person, nobody specific) way, may not work for me. I am glad I did so much planning and collecting of parts before buying my conversion vehicle. It allowed me to understand what and how I was going to do, long before I needed to do it. For me, it was mostly due to funds available, and other priorities in life. But after all the time invested, I can visualize every detail of my build, and plan for needed changes to floorplan, parts location, and time and cost of my build.

As to the search issues, I too have had trouble finding info I KNEW was on this site, due to seeing it before, and taking 20 mins to locate again. Running sites like these is hard work. I do not envy the site managers. people get hurt feelings, replies are read the wrong way, arguments occur, etc. It is tough. But when I see a question asked that has seen dozens of time before, I simply direct that person to said info, or move along. But snarky comments about a post or question does not just upset the one asking the question, it is read by potential new members that can feel afraid to ask something, or worse, people deciding to not want to be on a site that allows that. Should there be a sticky thread that lists potential problems and true to life experiences of bus conversions for "noobs" without a doubt. But when those very threads contain snarky posts or replies, it does more harm than good. I hope this post does not offend any one, but simply brings awareness that HOW we answer new members is just as important as the information or advice we give. I will never denigrate someone for their choice, only offer my opinions and real life experience. It is up to the reader to on how they proceed.

P.S. Bought my step van and should start a thread on it in a day or two....
Old 10-18-2019, 02:12 AM   #93
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
As to the search issues, I too have had trouble finding info I KNEW was on this site, due to seeing it before, and taking 20 mins to locate again.

There's also the occasional time when people (and or threads) disappear from the site - so it was there, at one time, but isn't anymore. One of those things that happens, albeit it rarely.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Quoted for truth!!!
I think it'd be great if you could go back through this thread and delete all the useless posts in it! That would take it back to being only one page long... You have my vote to do that! (and that includes deleting my post as well)
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #95
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: MVP/ER
Engine: Cat3126B 230hp
Rated Cap: 48
Well said and Thank You!

As a new Skoolie to be owner, I value the experience and knowledge of many fine folks on this Forum site and have learned a lot over the past 2 weeks and a whole lot more to learn going forward.
Mat7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #96
Mini-Skoolie

My sentiments exactly. Not everyone looking for information is an idiot, and not every question is answered on this sainted thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
I understand that constant questions being repeated over and over gets old, and annoying at times. But when I read this thread, it just makes one feel unwelcome. I am not trying to shame or anger anyone. Especially the moderators, and long time members that have given me so much advice, and helped me shape my dreams into a reality. I joined this site over 2 years ago with the intention of building a conversion from a shuttle bus. But, due to the way some posters replied, I decided to leave for a while as I focused on another project. I completed that project a few months back, and knew I was finally at the point to buy my conversion vehicle. It took me over 2 years of planning, and buying/ collecting parts, along with a lot of research. The advice many give of buy the bus before planning is logical for many. But some people(like me) dont start projects of the time and cost these large projects can be, without a lot of research and planning. I was told many times, in not so friendly ways, that my planning and collecting of parts was a bad way to go about my build. Yes, changes will always need to be made once a project like these start. But to be made to feel it is the only way, is unacceptable. Everybody in life has a way of doing things. What works for me, may not work for others. Or your(general person, nobody specific) way, may not work for me. I am glad I did so much planning and collecting of parts before buying my conversion vehicle. It allowed me to understand what and how I was going to do, long before I needed to do it. For me, it was mostly due to funds available, and other priorities in life. But after all the time invested, I can visualize every detail of my build, and plan for needed changes to floorplan, parts location, and time and cost of my build.

As to the search issues, I too have had trouble finding info I KNEW was on this site, due to seeing it before, and taking 20 mins to locate again. Running sites like these is hard work. I do not envy the site managers. people get hurt feelings, replies are read the wrong way, arguments occur, etc. It is tough. But when I see a question asked that has seen dozens of time before, I simply direct that person to said info, or move along. But snarky comments about a post or question does not just upset the one asking the question, it is read by potential new members that can feel afraid to ask something, or worse, people deciding to not want to be on a site that allows that. Should there be a sticky thread that lists potential problems and true to life experiences of bus conversions for "noobs" without a doubt. But when those very threads contain snarky posts or replies, it does more harm than good. I hope this post does not offend any one, but simply brings awareness that HOW we answer new members is just as important as the information or advice we give. I will never denigrate someone for their choice, only offer my opinions and real life experience. It is up to the reader to on how they proceed.

P.S. Bought my step van and should start a thread on it in a day or two....
kellijaebaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #97

Year: 2003
Quote:
You want to buy a bus? So did we. Before you buy something and come here complaining that it only goes 49mph and you want to go 80, figure it out beforehand. Without singling anyone out, it is getting annoying reading posts every week with someone whining about something they thought would be different.

Rules in bus buying.

1. Understand that you are buying a school bus, not a $400,000 MCI motor coach. Price before conversion.

2. Many of the buses being auctioned off are at the end of their useful life. Choose carefully or you will pay dearly.

3. Know your budget and what it costs to pick up a bus from 2000 miles away. If you find a bus 20 miles away and it is $500 more than a bus 1500 miles away and 149 miles from the closest airport, it is a steal. Don't be a pennywise, pound foolish, tightwad cheapskate and complain about your purchase after the fact. If you are a tightwad, embrace it but don't come here and cry about it.

4. Tires are very expensive. Understand that a bus with good rubber costing $500 more than the same bus with bad rubber is a steal.

5. Rust. IT NEVER SLEEPS!!! Avoid like the plague. Unless you are buying to part it out, I don't see the benefit of buy a bus with rust. I am talking about body cancer not some mild surface rust.

6. Speed. FORGETABOUTIT!!! See Rule 1. There are exceptions to this rule. Cubes, transmission and ratio. If you want a GO FAST BUS, buy a bus with a Cummins 8.3 engine, a MT643 or MD3060 transmission and a 4.10 rearend. End of discussion. I know that some will mention a DT466 engine but the highest HP I have ever seen is a 210hp and the 8.3 engines I have seen are 250. It is best to buy a bus with what you need or want than trying to change it afterwards.

7. Front or rear engine. Your preference. Are you going to haul bikes, canoes, motorcycles, etc? You might want a front engine bus but the are noisier and hotter for the driver. Rear engine is much more quite.

I have more rules but need to run right now. Feel free to add more if you want.
Thank you for sharing your tips. it's really useful! Have a good day!
LisaMcdowell8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #98
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: C2045
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
May I ask your opinion on engines. I want a rear engine 40 bus but not really sure what is the most dependable, easy to get fixed engine. I am cool with driving 55-65 miles per hour. I would also like a wet sleeve engine. Your suggestions on engine would be very much appreciated.
Bikeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeboyz View Post
May I ask your opinion on engines. I want a rear engine 40 bus but not really sure what is the most dependable, easy to get fixed engine. I am cool with driving 55-65 miles per hour. I would also like a wet sleeve engine. Your suggestions on engine would be very much appreciated.
Navistar's DT466 and Cummins engines (from 5.9L to 8.3L) are in high regard pretty much universally. CAT engines are more controversial, perhaps due to the lesser availability of mechanics to work on them, but a number of respectable users stand by them. Mercedes-Benz engines are spit upon by all.

This assumes the engines are from 2003 or earlier. From 2004 onwards, they all have issues thanks to emissions control devices (which do, in fact, reduce smog-causing particulate and NOx emissions, but cause reliability problems and are very expensive to repair).
Old 03-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #100
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: C2045
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Thank you so very much for the info. if you hear of a rust free, 40ft, rear engine with those engines please let me know. I am willing to pay premium.
Bikeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote