Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Bandag makes good retreads, but I still prefer to pony up for new tires.
I'll be getting some brand new tires for mine when its back on the road. its got retreads in the rear that are so worn down that I'm actually impressed!
Thx...because I've seen 22buds for $175...I figured they were retreads

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
International made the engines for some of the ford diesels.. I believe it started all the way back as far as the early 7.3 ford IDIs..

the powerstroke 7.3. and T-444E are similar.. the ford version has a different camshaft, thicker headgasket, and higher RPM limit.. ford had to compete in the consumer horsepower wars, International just wanted reliability..

the Powerstroke 6.0 and the international VT-365 are cousins.. the ford version suffered from terrible coolant issues with the EGR cooler, oil cooler.. and the infamous head bolt stretch issue.. (ford wanted powerful and cheap).. the VT-365 was a bit better but still suffered from oil cooler issues.. high oil temperatures will destroy a VT-365 beyone repair in one over-temp episode.. these engines could be "bullet-proofed" by spending some time and money on aftermarket upgrade parts.. after which they are both pretty darn solid.. but a couple grand is more than most want to spend to fix an engine before it breaks..

The Powertroke 6.4 and Navistar MaxxForce7 were cousins.. the first endeavor into a full emissions compliant diesel.. and a bad one at that, the MaxxForce 7 is often a reputation of the worst diesel international ever made.. ands perhaps a good reason why they no longer make engines.. the ford version suffered some issues but ford seemed to have a better handle on it. thus the 6.4. didnt garner as bad reputation in the ford community as the 6.0..

-Christopher
Hmmm...so could a 444 be shoved into a f-250?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Hey, Katy! I work in channelview/live dt...when I get closer to my bus I might PM you?

I now live in Kansas. Bit of a commute.... Hurricane Harvey wiped us out. Time to move on after that. Sorry JD...

M
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
I now live in Kansas. Bit of a commute.... Hurricane Harvey wiped us out. Time to move on after that. Sorry JD...

M
Yeah, Harvey was crazy...Kansas? Lol...my aunt lives in Bonner springs...stay safe

Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #65

After reading this thread and seeing how quickly it went sideways I know why CAL is CRAZY. Jesus people.....
ratfink56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink56 View Post
After reading this thread and seeing how quickly it went sideways I know why CAL is CRAZY. Jesus people.....
Lol...they do go sideways quick

Old 01-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
He was crazy long before this thread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
He was crazy long before this thread!
Lol

Old 06-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Nat_ster posted a great kernel of advice earlier in this thread that is worth quoting again. (Just an excerpt; quoting in its entirety would defeat the purpose of this thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
If you have a question, I guarantee someone before you had the same question. Therefore if you search on Google, you will find other threads where people have asked that question... So not only do you save us seasoned members a head ache, but you get your answer right away, and more than one answer.
Put just about any word(s) along with "Skoolie" into Google and, voila, the top results are from Skoolie.net!
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It's a decent policy. I'd always support buying tires new.

That said ... our conversions rarely get anywhere near the load carrying capacity of the rears, and generally are not pushed to their speed-rating either.

So I can see no good reason not to fit recaps on the rear, and save some money for good quality steers.

On a Skoolie, there should not be the issues with recaps that we see on 18-Wheelers.
Just depends on what you have back there to tear up. I see alot of generators and fuel and water tanks back there. A 50 pound rubber shell separating from the tire at 60 MPH can do a ton of damage.

It's way way less likely to happen on tires younger than 6 years and that are not retreads.

Personally, I'd rather buy new tires than a new (water / gas/ propane / poo ) tank or generator. Let alone if it hits someone who is playing on Facebook and tailgating me. Or if I have a Toad hitched in there that the de-tread hits.

Safety takes a second and costs a dollar. Accidents are instant and cheap at first.
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #71

Minibus vs Bus for 1 Person

Hi everybody! I am interested in buying and converting a skoolie to live on the road, but I am not sure about the size of the bus I should get. I am debating between a full-sized bus and a minibus. I am going to travel solo, so I won't need a ton of space. I am also worried about parking, since I plan on selling my car. I want a bus I can park with reasonable ease.

I do, however, need enough space for a fully functional kitchen, laundry station, bed, and a table of some sort.

What do you guys think? I've been using your site for a while to plan but I can't seem to find anyone else asking this question.

Thanks for all your help!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Hi everybody! I am interested in buying and converting a skoolie to live on the road, but I am not sure about the size of the bus I should get. I am debating between a full-sized bus and a minibus. I am going to travel solo, so I won't need a ton of space. I am also worried about parking, since I plan on selling my car. I want a bus I can park with reasonable ease.

I do, however, need enough space for a fully functional kitchen, laundry station, bed, and a table of some sort.

What do you guys think? I've been using your site for a while to plan but I can't seem to find anyone else asking this question.

Start a thread.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #73
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post

X2 on the start a thread part.
(For example, you mention laundry - but no bathroom? Laundry also tends to need a lot of water, and a decent hot water heater.)

Also, so look at the short bus conversion forum - just pick some threads, and start reading. Look at peoples floor plans and overall layouts and ask yourself "would this work for me?" Does it have the features you want? What is there room for, what isn't there room for?

After a while, that might give you a better idea of what you can fit into a short bus - and you can figure out if you need to adjust your expectations, or adjust the size bus you want to buy. (I'm having the same problem - I'd like a cutaway, but I think I need a short full-size to get what I want into it - but I'm not sure what I want will line up with how I'd actually use it - so I'm going around in circles.)

I think everyone is asking the same question you are, just not quite as directly.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #74
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: FE 300
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 84
I get you parking worries but "go big, your building your home" Bike, scooter, motorcycle, toad.
johnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #75

So if I'm not too concerned with speed as much as making sure I can get up and down mountains without any issues, which of those engine/transmission combos would you recommend?
Hope it's ok to ask here, this thread has been super helpful thanks
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #76
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
If it is giving you a headache....

If questions from "NOOBS" is giving you a headache....

Maybe you should turn off your computer and go outside to work on your bus.

You don't have to read/respond to every little thing on here...
That is voluntary.

Sounds like a new thread should start up... Grouchy old bus dudes that only want to talk to each other.

That entry with all caps yelling at everybody to not clutter up the thread made me want to ask a "dumb a$$ noob" question so bad it hurt... so... here goes...

I want to buy an 57 foot bus that runs on unicorn blood and gets 42 miles/gallon and has a 16 speed manual transmission and will go fast uphill and reach a top end of 110mph...

Can anybody help me?....

Hope everybody (noobs included) realize this was all in jest... no hard feelings crazy cal...
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post

Might I ask which post exactly this is in response to? One of the things I've particularly liked about this community is their goodhearted tolerance of fools. Post your "intro" message in the Cummins engine forum; no problem. Run your entire build thread out of the "newbies introduce yourself forum"; no problem. Ask an uninfomed question that's been answered a hundred times elsewhere; no problem. Lots of other behavior that rubs my anal-retentive the wrong way; no problem. We do say "go read it all" quite a bit, and that gets more difficult by the day as the archives grow, but it is what it is.

- grouchy old bus (wannabe) dude
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Might I ask which post exactly this is in response to? One of the things I've particularly liked about this community is their goodhearted tolerance of fools. Post your "intro" message in the Cummins engine forum; no problem. Run your entire build thread out of the "newbies introduce yourself forum"; no problem. Ask an uninfomed question that's been answered a hundred times elsewhere; no problem. Lots of other behavior that rubs my anal-retentive the wrong way; no problem. We do say "go read it all" quite a bit, and that gets more difficult by the day as the archives grow, but it is what it is.

- grouchy old bus (wannabe) dude
I think it was a response to OP.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post

You don't have to read/respond to every little thing on here...
That is voluntary.

Sounds like a new thread should start up... Grouchy old bus dudes that only want to talk to each other.

That entry with all caps yelling at everybody to not clutter up the thread made me want to ask a "dumb a$$ noob" question so bad it hurt... so... here goes...

I want to buy an 57 foot bus that runs on unicorn blood and gets 42 miles/gallon and has a 16 speed manual transmission and will go fast uphill and reach a top end of 110mph...

Can anybody help me?....

Hope everybody (noobs included) realize this was all in jest... no hard feelings crazy cal...
Or, maybe he was looking for this to be kind of a read first sticky on how to buy a bus thread and wanted it to be uncluttered? Now we have direct questions in it that imo ruined that.

Cals on the site team. Not sure why he didn't sticky this at the top and then lock it. But I don't think I'd be starting chit with him. That's a bold move cotton.

I would think he could also delete all of the clutter and move it to it's own thread? I've never managed a forum before so I can't speak directly on that, only what I've seen other mods do.

If you do start a thread for grouchy old bus dudes, what the minimum age? Is 27 old enough or should I look for another fake ID?

At the end of the day, your order of operations for question posts should be.

1.Search for posts that have already answered your question.
2.Start a new thread asking your question.
3.Ask one of the site team members or frequent posters your question.
4.Derail a thread with something unrelated.

I always thought we were a tolerant bunch, because some aren't familiar with forums and their etiquette, but maybe we're not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck with your unicorn blood.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #80
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Grouchy bus people, any age..

I was referring to post #2... all caps..
And post #12... headache..

Basically a commentary on how fast the questions piled on after that request for people not to ask any... especially "noobs"... I just found it humorous, and typical..

And, if anything gives you a headache... don't do it...
Facebook, Skoolie, cell phone,.. etc..
It may come as a surprise, but none of this stuff used to exist..
And somehow we were able to survive..

That being said, I love this place, even if it gets messy..
I think I actually like it better that way..
But I can see that the moderator might have other thoughts..

Thanks for Skoolie... and grouchy bus dudes..
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote