Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Sources for used busses

I've tried a couple of the search terms recommended by current users and nothing comes up on the site. Wondering what are the best sites for bus sales/auctions, hopefully near the East Coast? Can anyone recommend a model with a good amount of headroom? I'm 6-4 and have no urge to raise a roof. Thanks!

Laeka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Generally speaking if you want the best deal you buy from an auction site. A real one though, not ebay. Govdeals and publicsurplus are two of the big names. The caveat with buying from these auctions is that they're nation wide marketplaces and the bus you want may be on the other side of the country.

If you're not willing to travel or don't want to deal with auctions, you can pay more for a bus from craigslist. They're not high volume type items where you'll see a bunch moving but you can also find them sometimes on facebook marketplace or apps like letgo.

If you don't want to do that much effort you can pay even more for a bus from a dealer. Dealers buy buses from auctions and drive them home, sometimes wash them, and then sell them for tripe or more what they paid. This isn't always a bad deal, consider that getting one of those sweet PNW buses in Florida will cost you a substantial amount in fuel. And a bus from a dealer was able to make the drive from wherever it was bought to wherever it is being sold.

I've bought 2 buses. One from craigslist and one from facebook marketplace.

As far as tall buses go, you're more likely to find high headroom on later model (2001-2003) with wheelchair lifts, because of various funding programs at the time.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You need to sharpen your search skills. Type in "places to purchase a bus" in the search bar above and it will bring up tons of threads on the subject.
I would not search for a bus on the east coast, too many rust issues. You won't find a School Bus that will accommodate your height comfortably.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys! I found a list of auction/purchase sites in an older post. Lots to ponder now...
Laeka56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auctions, headroom, sales