Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
steering gear box sale!

I am in the process of replacing my steering gear box because I am tired of "herding" my bus down the road. Yes everything else is in good shape, I have checked everything underneath and it's all tight, done the toe 3 times, new tires, etc and I still can't keep it going straight down the road. This replacement thing has been festering for some time now and while looking on Ebay at steering boxes I saw some real cheap ones, not one for mine of course, so I picked up the phone and inquired about one. Of course the box in our BB American Flat nose buses are super rare and they don't have that one in stock in Michigan, they can get one if necessary, but they told me if I wasn't pressed for time they would do a complete rebuild on mine for less than $500 ($100 dollars cheaper than the one drop shipped from the main supplier). If they had their supplier drop ship one directly to me they wanted $1000 core, that's how much they want the old one back, WOW. Mine is leaking all over the place anyway so I have nothing to lose, am not planning on any trips till spring, had to take it out to find the stupid part number, so I am going to send it to them and get it rebuilt. Hell the seal kit alone is $125. Another thing he said is their turn around is just a few days, just in case you need to get on the road soon.
This is a place outside of Detroit called "Metro Airport Truck" that is getting rid of all their old stock of steering gear boxes and I thought some of you here would like to look into it. Now these are old boxes, 60's, 70's and possibly some early 80's that they want to clear off the shelves to make room for later model stuff. All these boxes are completely re-manufactured, not just a seal kit, even having shafts replated with chrome if necessary to get back to specks. Now some of these boxes list for $1200 and they want around $400 for them now, how about 2/3 off! That's the top price for the most expensive one, most are much cheaper, as cheap as $150, and from what I can see still 2/3 off. The phone number is 734 941 1801 extension 121. That's Jerry's number and his boss told him to get rid of them or they are going in the recycle dumpster so GO FOR IT. sportyrick

sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote