Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Stupid question ???

Hey All...

This has got to be one of the stupidest questions I have ever had to ask.
Does anyone know how to remove the windshield wiper arms on my '68 Ford Bluebird ?
I assumed that they would have the little clips like 67-72 F-series trucks.
Tonight, I messed with removing one of the wiper motors for well over an hour, but could not get the wiper arm off.
arrrrggg ...

Thank you,
KaptnKAOS

Olde Skool '68 Ford Bluebird bus "Shorty"
http://rides.webshots.com/album/559029491BwEQCZ
KaptnKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Stupid question ???

Its hard to tell exactly what your looks like from the photo. If it has a nut to hold it on the pivot point take the nut off and you may have to work it off. And then it may two pin holes that go through near the pivot point where you slide a nail or paperclip all the way through when you pull the arm outwards and then it will be away from the window then you can work it off.
This is how my 1992 bluebird is and I have seen others this way.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28

looks like there is a nut on a splined shaft that the wiper arm is on, right?
after you loosen nut, reverse nut to end of threads. When nut is flush with end of threads, then take a open end wrench put under wiper arm around the shaft. place small pice of wood or srew driver handle ect. under wrench to use as a fulcrum. push on wrench to cause upward pressure on wiper arm, then tap on nut with a brass hammer if you have so you don't mare the shaft.( thats why i told you to back the nut all the way to the end of the threads so you won't damge the shaft) after a few hard raps with pressure applied to the bottom of wiper arm it should pop up. remove nuts take wiper arm off. hope this helps, oh buy the way when you reinstall you might want to use some antiseeze compund on it. chances are the wiper arm is aluminum and the shaft is steel dissimular metals tend to sieze together. If I had and unclose picture I tell you better.
and please pardon my bad grammer and poor spelling. I'm just a dumb body man/mechanic
email me if I can help more\
dale
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

wmah may be closer to the mark than I am. I just looked at your front view on your web shots from a distance
dale if his advice doesn't work then try mine
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

hey Guys...

I pretty much did delbertinie's suggestion last night to no avail. I tried using a claw hammer, a small prybar, a wrench (that was the first thing I did after removing the retaining acorn nut and lock washer).
This morning before work, I soaked it down real good with some pentrating oil.
I learned today that it is wedged onto a tapered shaft buy the retaining nut. I am assumng that this is the first time that someone has tried to remove it in nearly 40 years and it is just frozen there. I am worried about abusing the shaft very much because when I removed the retaining nut, it looked like some of the threads were stripped.
I was thinking of going to Harbor Freight and getting a small two jaw puller, and getting a standard nut to screw back on until it's flush and use the puller to break it loose...
Any input on that approach?
I will aslo look to see if I see any small holes like wmah suggested.
with it beging a '68 Ford I just assumed that it would come off just like the ones on my '68 F250, but it don't..
Thanks guys...
KaptnKAOS
aka
Allan

Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

If you get a puller, get a 3 jaw. I've never had much luck with two jaw pullers. They always seem to just want to collapse sideways. Of course I'm not very patient either. A quick trick I've learned with pullers...tighten it down fairly tight...then smack the object with a hammer. If it doesn't come off tighten it some more...then smack. This is my trick for getting pitman arms off and it seems to work rather well. Just be warned...when it goes it GOES.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
Skoolie

have you got out your butane torch and heated it. It wont't be hot enough to melt the aluminum
last ditch effort.
dale
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys....
I was able to get the wiper arm off without a problem...
I ended up using a home made pickle fork a budy gave me years ago.
I slid it under the arm smacked the end a couple of times and the arm came right off.
The threads were stripped... so I'm not to sure what I'm gonna do about that.
I could probably rethread it to the next smaller size, or go metric?
Unforunately, I did all that work for nothin'. The motor still won't come out.
It seems like the tapered piece with the teeth needs to come off of the shaft as well.
The shaft is a round piece that goes thru the cone shapped piece.
It comes out of the cone with two sides flattened out. Behind it, (going toward the cowl)is a rubber boot that the shaft would have to go thru. Then, there is a nut and spacer. When you loosen the nut, the whole assembly inside moves as if it would come right out if the cone piece came off.
I got everything reassembled, but when I tested it, the wiper arm travel was about half of what it was before I messed with it... I'm not sure wuuuzzuupp with that.
I am unable to look up there and get my hands in there too. I am possitive that the unit was assembled before it was installed, because there isn't any way to disassemble it under the dash.
I can see it enough to tell that... unless there are large headed phillips head screwdrivers 1/4 inch long there is no way possible to get to the screws, unless there were put in before the unit was installed. Even if you get get to the them the screws are longer than the space you have to get them out.
I feel like boxer.. I've gone a few rounds with this thing, and so far Olde Skool is winnin' ....

Take care and thanks for your input...
KaptnKAOS

PS: I wuz gonna take pics, but the batteries in the camera were dead... arrrrggg

Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
Skoolie

take the wipers back off run it through the motions and make sure the wipers park when you shut them off. In otherwords go to the resting position when they are off then put the wipers back on and try again. The should be really close to operating the way they did before. If not jump 1 or 2 splines back and forth and they should be there. hope this makes sense
let me know if this works dale
Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
Skoolie

also wiper motors usually are mounted in rubber sleeves between the wiper body and the screw that actually mount them to the body, if they are wore out or gone they let the wiper motor rock back and forth this also makes wiper travel irratic as well.
dale