Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

surely everyone has seen this

11 FOOT 8 – The Canopener Bridge

perhaps for those that need help demo'ing for a roof raise

perryT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Aye!
Its made it onto quite a few fail compilations. Classic!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

This brings up a good question

This might be worthy of its own thread. (I did do a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for.) Somewhere in the world there has to be an app or an atlas of where you can drive and where you can't with a tall vehicle, or a triple-A for trucks, or something that will tell you where you are and are not welcome on the road.

I do recall that I was driving a 20+ foot cabover box truck for a move once when a tollbooth person on the Garden State took my money and then told me I was illegal and that I "should get off before you get a $500 ticket". I got off, and got dumped into a residential neighborhood full of "No through trucks" signs. I survived but I didn't like it.

How do you do route planning if you're a bus and you've done a roof raise? Or do you just keep an eagle eye and hope you can stop in traffic quickly enough?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Some good advice here...

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid.../rv_height.php

And there are services like the one below...but...be advised that regardless of your information source...YOU, the driver will be held responsible for any and all damages.

http://www.lowclearances.com/

(Have you priced freeway overpasses or bridges lately?)

Be careful out there!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

That's good information, there. Especially the product sold at the 2nd website. What I'm thinking about is route planning software, if available. Web-based would be fine. Input point A and B, your vehicle height (maybe configured in your user account), push the button, and get a map that points out where the problems might be and how to get around them.

It might be fun to try to mash up the lowclearance product with Google Maps and get a roll-your-own. I'd never do that, though - that would be illegal.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I do recall that I was driving a 20+ foot cabover box truck for a move once when a tollbooth person on the Garden State took my money and then told me I was illegal and that I "should get off before you get a $500 ticket". I got off, and got dumped into a residential neighborhood full of "No through trucks" signs. I survived but I didn't like it.
If you were north of NJ Route 18 (Exit 105), then yes, that makes sense for the toll collector to yell at you. South of Rte 18, large commercial vehicles are permitted. Buses, however, are exempt from that GSP regulation

That being said, 13' 6" is the "universal" height on the IHS. However, as pointed out above, local clearance heights do vary. There's an rail overpass in Edison that's 8'4" and managed to squeeze an 8'4" van ambulance under it, sans damage

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Yeah, IIRC I was pretty far north, up near where it dead ends into 287 to get tot he Tappanzee.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
When I drove tractor trailer [off the road 16 years now] I delivered down town Toronto, lots of low bridges. Some marked 13-6 for the bridge but didn't mention the height of the street car wires going under the bridges which weren't....pay attention man!. Also heading up and down hwy 400 between Toronto and Barrie Ont. the bridges arched so the right side was low, you had to be in center lane going under the bridge. Some times had to force my way over 'cause cars drivers didn't under stand the low bridge concept..."might has right"
Old 01-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
My last house faced an intersection that was half a block away from a 10'4" rail overpass... People got wedged under it at least once a week. Lived there for three years and saw prob 150 people get stuck. Mostly contractor box trucks and the like. Its amazing what people don't pay attention to when they're driving... One guy actually hit it so hard they had to come out and rebuild the overpass because he tore some of the i-beams out from under it...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Somewhere in the world there has to be an app or an atlas of where you can drive and where you can't with a tall vehicle, or a triple-A for trucks, or something that will tell you where you are and are not welcome on the road.
There is such an atlas. Rand McNally puts out a Trucker's atlas, both spiral bound and hard bound. In the very front is a listing of low clearances, including a few in Tennessee that are 5'6".
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
There is such an atlas. Rand McNally puts out a Trucker's atlas, both spiral bound and hard bound. In the very front is a listing of low clearances, including a few in Tennessee that are 5'6".
Also, while it's said you shouldn't trust a GPS, my Garmin Dezl hasn't missed a low clearance in the 3 years I've had it.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote