Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: The Beater Thread

Start ohming the sensors. I would GUESS that the coolant temp sensor is acting up just based on the hot/cold thing. Other things to look at that commonly went on those cars would be the TPS like you said, a faulty MAP sensor (between the engine and firewall...single vacuum line, 3 wire connector), and the idle air on those things gets MIGHTY dirty over time. Take it apart, clean it with throttlebody cleaner, put it back together, and prepare for it to take a long time to relearn idle.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #32
Bus Nut

hey phil, that's my kind of car right there! That's how I paid for my bus, by flipping crappy cars!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #33
Bus Nut

slap a new fuel filter in there just for the heck of it. could also be some sort of sensor. how many miles on it? it looks pretty nice other than the peeling paint.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #34
Bus Nut

I was thinking fuel filter at first too, except that now I notice that it's only acting up when the engine's warmed up and restarted. I'm going to test the TP sensor with my fancy ohm meter that I never use and go from there. I was reading a little online last night and that seems to be a common problem.

The car has 206,000 on it, but I guess they're mostly highway miles.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Sensors are the devil on those GM cars. At about 175,000 miles they start to go. None of the sensors are particularly expensive, but for the common person it can add up in labor and downtime. For you, on the other hand, it should be a simple cheap fix. If you don't still have access to All Data or Mitchell let me know and I can get you whatever test procedures and crap you need.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Well I replaced the throttle position sensor on it last week, I tried to test it with my Ohm meter but it was hard to do with the tiny pins on the sensor. It felt real loose, like it was broken inside - so I figured I'd try a new sensor. Well as soon as I put it on and started the car I noticed it idles at 1700 RPM's now... I went out and drove it and it coughed and sputtered but seemed to clear up.

Well it's been sitting for about a week and today I drove it and it's idling high and sputtering a lot worse now. Do these things have to relearn? Should I have cleared something - maybe by disconnecting the battery? Maybe I got a bad sensor... I don't knwo... Stupid Chevys.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Yes, they need to relearn and it can take up to 30 minutes of idling to do so. Try pulling the PCM fuse or the negative battery cable (your choice) for half an hour (longer than necessary, but muh...) and then try it again. Don't be worried about it acting a little funny, atleast at first. If it continues to give you problems, however...
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #38
Bus Nut

after you pull the battery cable, step on the brake pedal for a few seconds. Any pesky electrons left loitering around will be sucked out through the tail lights.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Well that made a big difference. Now it idles normally, and starts right up. There's still the occasional stumble on acceleration. I'm gunna drive it some more tomorrow, and maybe clean out the IAC.

I put the add up on craigs list already; thinking that I'd start high on my price, and I'd have it running smooth by the time someone was ready to buy it. I've had 3 people email me asking about it already. Here's my add... http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/car/497921804.html

I've found that when selling a beater, the less you describe the car the better. We sold my girlfriends 93 Intrepid in 5 hours with a 3 line add once. Something like "93 Dodge Intrepid Runs, drives $600 obo" 5 hours later we sold it for $500 bucks, we must have had 10 calls on it. It was such a heap - she was ready to take it to the junk yard (that's what kind of shape it was in)
Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #40
Site Team

Is that why no mention of beater status?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote