Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: The Beater Thread

****'ll buff out....

Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

thats why they are called beaters they need to be beated some more than others
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Dang Phil! That car has had it rough! Here's my newest beater. Not really a beater, but I did pay cash for it! It's a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. Very nice riding bike! I bought it a little over a week ago and have already put over 700 miles on it!

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

that must be awsome to ride the scoots this time of the year it was sideways rain here on van isle power out etc. enjoy the weather and ill bet that scoot fits in flamebus!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
Dang Phil! That car has had it rough! Here's my newest beater. Not really a beater, but I did pay cash for it! It's a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. Very nice riding bike! I bought it a little over a week ago and have already put over 700 miles on it!
I wish we could ride motorcycles this time of year, mainly because I want to sell mine... I bought a 93 Yamaha FZR last summer and didn't end up riding it as much as I thought I would. Hopefully I can sell it in the spring.

I took my crown vic to the body shop yesterday, the guy said there was no real good way for him to pull it back straight with his frame rack - it's bent slightly on both sides. He recommended I take it to a frame shop... So today I went to a frame shop, the guy looks at it for about 30 seconds and goes, yep we can fix it; it'll run ya about $500 I told him I'd think about it. I'm not too sure I want to put that kind of money into it, especially when runs and drives fine as is. I think what I'm going to do is wait for the weather to get a little better and hook a chain from the car to the bus (or a tree) and try to slowly pull it back out with my truck. I don't care if it's exact - I just want to be able to mount headlights and a bumper back on it. Then I'll get it aligned and call it good.

In the meantime I found a great deal on another crown vic (at least it seemed like a great deal when I first looked at it..) It's a 99 police interceptor with 123,000 miles on it - body looks great, well just about any crown vic looks great compared to mine. I went and drove it, and it seems to drive ok, has some minor issues but I think I can fix it, so I offered them $1500 for it and they took it.

I've been out in the garage all day messing around with it - braking more things that I'm fixing I think. I just came in to grab some lunch.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #66
Bus Crazy

wow cant believe that you can by bufurd b justice cars with push bar and party lights on it still does that thing move-bake the tires looks like fun!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
wow cant believe that you can by bufurd b justice cars with push bar and party lights on it still does that thing move-bake the tires looks like fun!
Yeah it gets up and goes pretty good... Here's a video on Youtube of someone with the same car doing some impressive donuts and drifting.

I ended up selling that cop car the other day. My roommate really wanted it... bad enough to buy it for $500 more than I paid for it. I figure I can use the money to fix my old one... once the snow melts (whenever that is)
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #68
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Here is Fifer and My "Beater". 1992 Toyota Corolla. Actually it was our home prior to our bus purchase.
It's been in 41 states and lots and lots of miles.

It is currently in need of struts (all four are completely gone), a timing belt replacement, it's front mirror has been ripped off, the driver's side rear passenger's door does not open and is currently rusted shut. The driver's side window only goes down (not up) and it's manual windows. It is in dire need of new tires (to the point of being unsafe). It's rusting through the floor, and it currently leaks antifreeze (we aren't driving it at the moment). But it still has a decent AC and new brakes, and makes 35-41 miles to the gallon in it's current state. And should be good for around 180,000 more miles. But we'll probably end up junking it because of the rust and expense to repair.

Don't worry, we're going to take MUCH better care of the bus. We've been letting this car slowly go as we're ready to junk it for a replacement toad. We're thinking a Mercedes diesel wagon, (300 series.) but I may end up putting a gasoline motor kit on my bicycle and get Fifer the scooter she's always wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2876-1.jpg  
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I dig the AE92 Corolla. Most of the stuff you have listed isn't all that serious other than the rust. I would also probably confront the strut issue if you plan to keep the car. Worn out struts pound the mounts leading to ever more expensive repairs. Check out the pricing on Monroe Quick Strut assembles. They come preassembled with all new parts. It takes probably 15 minutes to swap a strut out with them. All that's left then is the alignment.

Coolant isn't a big concern and is probably an easy fix provided it isn't the head gasket. Is it leaking or are you just losing fluid? Also, the timing belt SHOULD probably be replaced, but it is a freewheeling engine so were it to break it would only leave you stranded instead of stranded with a grenaded engine.

Cool beater. It reminds me of my Honda.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

here is a shot of my back shop there is a few cars in it can you name them all? good luck timbuk
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #71
Bus Geek

I spy a 2nd Gen Camaro/Firebird. And...is that a Rambler?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

81 camaro and the white rambler is actually a 67 acadian invader only in canada
Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #73
Bus Nut

I fixed my beater crown vic again. I hit a pole with it in February of this year sliding on some ice. I figured I'd might as well replace my fenders while I was at it as they were rusted out around the wheel wells. I found both fenders, the header panal, bumper cover and left headlight all at cirtifit in Chicago for less than $300 bucks. It's all cheap Chinese parts but good enough for me. Here's a few pictures.

Right after the accident in February 08

It's done now except for paint - I just spray painted it for now.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

phillbus that crown is looking good takes a beating that car eh? jimmy your good thats a 65 impaler ss65 chevy extended cab 55 olds 88 and the older one is a 47 chevy scroll to the right and see if you can get the hidden one i have a bit of a historical junk pile here its great to live out of town timbuk
Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Updated pictures of my beater...

The old Yota is undergoing another slow, painful transformation. These pictures don't show much, but rest assured there have been some changes

1. Front axle fully serviced including seal replacement, wheel bearing pack, birfield pack, swap to the larger 4 piston IFS calipers, new pads, FJ-40 rotors turned, new studs, yada yada yada.

2. New axle bearing on one shaft (16 tons of pressure to remove it!), new shaft on the other side (bent), seals, gear lube, new third member (munched side and pinion gears), removed drum brakes, installed Sky's caliper brackets, installed 4wd S-10 metric calipers, installed 1990 K1500 light duty rotors after machining the centers out.

3. Ran all new brake lines

4. Installed 1 1/16 inch bore master cylinder from 1995 T-100 1-ton 2wd V-6 truck.

5. Mounted up new 36x12.50x15 Super Swamper SX's on steelies with more backspacing than before...the old wheels wouldn't clear the new rear brakes...

6. Removed the 22re, W56 tranny, and R1FA t-case

The rest of the equation is slowly coming together. I will do a thread on the Megasquirt because I'm sure someone else out there would consider doing it on their bus.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #76
Bus Nut

I picked up anther beater yesterday. It's a 96 VW Passat with a 1.9L TDI Diesel/5 speed manual. From what I've read online it should get about 45-50 MPG on the highway.

I picked it up cheap ($875) because it's all beat up, and needs a motor mount. After I get the mount fixed I'm going to drive it a little and see if I like it enough to keep it and replace my 98 Crown Vic, which gets about 1/2 the fuel mileage of this car. It seems to run good, and only has 125,000 miles on it.

Pics to come, it's up on jack stands right now...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #77
Bus Nut

It looks like there are some neat old houses in your neighborhood Phil. I have always liked those cottage style homes.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #78
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I finally bought a truck that I can join in on the fun at OHV parks with. Its an old series three land rover and in great shape, the low gear and four wheel drive seem to work flawlessly.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #79
Bus Nut

Nice looking truck Steve.

I have an old 1972 Chevy Cheyenne with a rebuilt 396 that I like to drive.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #80
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I finally bought a truck that I can join in on the fun at OHV parks with. Its an old series three land rover and in great shape, the low gear and four wheel drive seem to work flawlessly.

that is a nice looking LR! And heaven forbid if you ever roll it over or otherwise incapacitate the vehicle, all that aluminum has to be worth a fortune at the scrap yard. They are all aluminum bodies aren't they?

not sure if that thing belongs in the beater thread, it looks nicer than pretty much any non-bus vehicle i've ever owned!...