Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: The stupid...it burns......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
lol....The County isn't much better, as I lived in the country for years, and many times it was me who busted through the 3-4' drifts when the County never showed-up after the entire road being snowed-in for days...
Wow the county actually showed up while there was still snow on the road!!! When we had a house in SW NC, we lived on a state maintained county road (all county roads are state maintained in NC). The county/state only plowed just so far. The final 3 miles were plowed out by everyone on the road who had farm tractors. They never showed up until a few days after we all had plowed out our road. And the only time we got our road plowed out in TN was when they didn't want to be found (radios/cell phone didn't work too well in the Pocket). Needless to say it wasn't too often in winter... I ended up getting a Jeep 4 WD. Again, the locals with tractors on our road plowed out as soon as the snow would stop.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I took the low road back in October when the city maintenance guys came in the shop. I sold them some parts at a smoking price. They asked me where I live. I now get plowed out promptly, not that it matters in that I have a plow on my wheeler and I finally broke down and bought a truck with a transfer case.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Pay a kid $$5 to lock the hubs in October. Pay the same kid $5 to unlock them in April. Your problems will be solved. I'm really not a fan of the central axle disconnect systems everyone uses these days. You're told that they save wear and tear, but on what? The ring and pinion and the front driveshaft? The systems add a lot of complexity for this benefit and in 2wd your pinions (spider gears in Americanese) are spinning around at the speed of light because they have to turn at twice road speed. When you're cruising down the highway at 75 mph in July you are driving the side gear on the long tube at a speed of 150 mph. Less wear and tear my ass...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Some hub manufacturers actually supply a wrench to turn their hubs. It's basically just a spanner. I bet a piece of bed frame angle iron and some small bolts strategically welded on it are all you would need.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

what you have to get out to lock yer hubs?never heard of that well today it was warm and sunny and vancouver is having the olymbics and they are trucking in snow with tandems to Whistler bc at taxpayers cost of 1000 a load Then they told us that the temporary tent venue area cost us 10 MILLION DOLLARS.So bc is just as F*%$@ up as the corn dudes.That snow is coming from 3 hours away.Too bad you couldnt turn bearucrats into SNOW........timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Oddly enough, you can Timbuk. Its just really messy. I was watching something on Discovery about a year ago where they were Mapping/Scanning the human body. What they did was froze a dead body, then shaved off an ultra thin slice, took a picture, shave, picture... In the end, they had a really cool 3D scan of a person and everything inside him, and a pile of gooey slush.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

When I was in VA we had a simular problem. My land was split by the road, the plow guys would regularly run through the yard instead of the road. It had a slight turn so I guess they didn't see it. Anyway I went through regular channels to get them to stop pealing up the grass every snow, to no avail. I put railroad ties down they'd push them anyway. I put up t-posts every 3 feet, they plowed them and the grass. Finally I borrowed my neighbors tractor and 16" auger. I planted 12 brand new railroad ties vertically across the grass. I buried the ties all the way down with about 8-10 inches sticking out, poured in bags and bags of quikcrete. Next winter first snow I came home to find a plow with damn near the entire front end ripped off the truck... the county supervisor came out. We had a yelling contest- right up until I showed him where the road actually was- 20' away- and this einstine behind the plow wasn't even close to the road... no problems after that. In fact I'd see the county supervisor out at my place everytime it snowed- marking my rail-ties witha reflective post to keep from breaking another truck.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643

$5 Hub turner: get a PVC pipe tee that will fit into the hub. Cut two notches in it for the control knob. When you need to lock hubs, slide the notches over the knob & turn. I have used them on 4 different 4x4's.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Think about how far you have to move the handle from lock to lock, it would be the same as bending-over to do it by hand (like going from 12:00 to 3:00). I've got an idea where I don't have to bend any to lock/unlock. My welder's at the bus, so I'll have to weld it there.

Smitty
I have to turn the lockouts on my F-350 270 degrees (3/4 turn) to lock or unlock hubs. The pipe tee is to make grabbing a slippery dial or one clogged with dirt or snow. It's about 4" long and goes in the glove box. I just used it in fact--the hubs were locked all last night while I was out plowing.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190

They could have if the ties were within 20' of the roadway- since I was prepared they were 22' from the edge of the road... and I was on file with many complaints. I never heard a word out of the county.

Oh it gets better- right behind my house was a private road- while I was out plowing the road that the state workers missed- I'd plow it for the people that lived down there. Much like you smitty the state would leave a huge pile right in the way of the road- I'd always go down there and move it. I'd never ask for a dime, in the summer I'd scrape it smooth. One time it was about to storm real bad- I made sure the tractor was fueled blade on and all- mine was the last house before the road went to private. Well woke up in the morning, there were about 10 cars blocking me in, all the people that lived down there decided my driveway was a parking lot. I hooked up everyone of those cars to the tractor, and pulled them into the feild- where I knew they'd be stuck. The wife screamed and yelled thought I'd get sued- you know after they had to get tow trucks to get them out of my feild- the people down that private road started paying me to plow it for them- and no one ever parked in my driveway again...
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Forget getting sued...you're lucky you didn't get your house burned down.