Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Thumbs up The Thomas Built company is awesome!

So, I will be starting a conversion thread soon, as I am picking up my bus the first weekend in March.

I have zero experience with a bus, some experience with engines, and mostly farm trained by my father for anything mechanical and trade related that I will need for my conversion.

I will be working on this with my father and he suggested I go ahead and look for a service manual and possibility an operator manual since I will be driving it home, a 16 hour trip and well... I know nothing about a bus! haha

So, I contacted Thomas Built buses here in NC, and thought they would be able to point me in the right direction for a service manual for my 1995 Saf-T-Liner ER. I found some stuff online but bits and pieces.. some that said ER-MVP and other bits but nothing like I wanted (Dad wanted; he's 82 and stuck on him wanting what he wants. hehe)

Anyways.. long story short I got an email from Thomas Built buses and they not only helped me, but they did research and sent me BOTH the operating manual AND the Service Manual for a bus that is 4 years newer than mine. She apologized that they no longer had a manual for my 1995 but told me that little changed in those 4 years. I guess time will tell how much has changed but I am happy to report I have an Operating manual, 130 pages and a Service Manual, 466 pages for my Saf-T-Liner ER bus.

That shows me they really do go far and beyond the customers expectations. I only asked for a link to buy them from and they sent me the manuals for free.

I told her that I would send her pictures of my process and updates on the bus and she gave me the names of four contacts should I need parts or help along the way.

Such an awesome start to my conversion! God is good!

James

JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome James and congrats on your new bus.

It sounds like you are off to a good start. We look forward to watching your build.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
That's awesome!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

Year: 2000
Engine: 3126 CAT/AT545
Rated Cap: 26
Very cool, can you pass along the contacts for parts. I just started my Thomas build and need some floor parts.

Thanks and good luck with yours. Good to hear about thomas
JWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post
Very cool, can you pass along the contacts for parts. I just started my Thomas build and need some floor parts.

Thanks and good luck with yours. Good to hear about thomas
Sure, here are the contacts she sent.

Steve Connolly – Parts Manager
Phone: (800) 440-3492 Ext. 366
Email: sconnolly@carolinathomas.com

Vinny Rivera – Service Manager
Phone: (800) 440-3492 Ext. 383
Email: vrivera@carolinathomas.com

Julie Greene – Body Shop Sales Manager
Phone: (800) 440-3492 Ext. 363
Email: jgreene@carolinathomas.com

James
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I too have found Thomas Built to be responsive and helpful. It seems they have guys who really like their buses.

They have a contact form on their website which usually gets a response in 24 hours.

I just emailed one of their guys asking about new vehicle data plates (I have removed the front upper panel containing them, but I can retain them), and asked about the process of opening up 6th gear.

He replied in an hour telling me the local dealer can request new data plate (and sent me the dealer form), and said he'd referred my bus to engineering, and would let me know when he got a response. (He already had my VIN# from a previous query).

Right now I am very pleased that I bought a Thomas.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 71
thanks so much for the post, I to am knee deep into a 2000 International with a Thomas body, I need electrical schematics
Megabea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #8

Year: 1997
Rated Cap: 72
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I too have found Thomas Built to be responsive and helpful. It seems they have guys who really like their buses.

They have a contact form on their website which usually gets a response in 24 hours.

I just emailed one of their guys asking about new vehicle data plates (I have removed the front upper panel containing them, but I can retain them), and asked about the process of opening up 6th gear.

He replied in an hour telling me the local dealer can request new data plate (and sent me the dealer form), and said he'd referred my bus to engineering, and would let me know when he got a response. (He already had my VIN# from a previous query).

Right now I am very pleased that I bought a Thomas.
I'd be very interested in learning how to open the 6th gear, as well!
Louis.At.Large is offline   Reply With Quote