Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #1

Thinking about building a Skoolie

Looking at all the skoolies and builds has me super interested in this community. Wife and I want to build one but we won’t be living full time in it. We’d use it as a regular camper till I retire from the Navy. So I’m trying to figure out what I’d need and what could wait till we are going to full time. Any opinions?

bbking0915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I would think it really depends on how "rustic" you want to go, and where you plan on camping.

For example, if you plan on staying mostly in campgrounds with electric hookups, you might not need a large generator or any type of solar system - a small battery bank, or even just an inverter to plug in a laptop while on the road would suffice. Pull-in to camp, and plug in to power and water.

Depending on size and where you want to stay, you might or might not need a bathroom with a shower. (That could save space / money / plumbing.)

If you're planning on doing fair-weather camping, you might be able to get away without a built-in heating system - either use a portable gas heater, or electric space heater (if the campground has hookups).

It's also possible to do some things in phases if you decide you want some things - eventually - but not right now. (For example, if you wanted solar power, to be self-sufficient, you could plan on installing solar panels, and plan a place to put the battery bank - but you don't have to get the solar panels or battery bank now. You DO want to make sure you leave room to run the wires now. Appliances can be the same way - maybe down the road, you want a fancy stove of fridge, that might be expensive, while there's a cheaper option you could live with for now.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
If I was in your shoes, I'd run my plumbing and wiring outside of the walls and build only rudimentary furniture that is easy to disassemble and remove.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

A few years ago Roach Motel did a nice detailed build on a Ford E series, and Mullet's build could give you lots of good info. My best suggestion is to read, read, read.......just don't overdo the beverages or 'whatever,' cause they make everything looks way too easy.
Good luck
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
A few years ago Roach Motel did a nice detailed build on a Ford E series, and Mullet's build could give you lots of good info. My best suggestion is to read, read, read.......just don't overdo the beverages or 'whatever,' cause they make everything looks way too easy.
Good luck
Good advice

Another warning........ Mixing adult beverages and bus auction sites may result in unintended bus ownership......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking0915 View Post
Looking at all the skoolies and builds has me super interested in this community. Wife and I want to build one but we won’t be living full time in it. We’d use it as a regular camper till I retire from the Navy. So I’m trying to figure out what I’d need and what could wait till we are going to full time. Any opinions?
Do it! Buy it right now! Even if you just tinker around with it for a long time until you get serious about the conversion. It's a life changer. So glad we sold our home and took the leap!