Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Thinking about duluth this coming weekend

I've been there a few times in the past but this time I'm taking my bus. Where is a good spot to overnight for free? We don't have any plans on what we are doing but we will stop by at the canal park area to people watch and feed the birds. Might have to take a vista boat ride again too.

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Thinking about duluth this coming weekend

There is parking down there, but it isn't free and it is usually full. Your best bet would probably be to try and park at the DECC or at the Aquarium and take the DASH if you have to (all should be handicap accessible although I don't know about the trolley). You could also park at Wal-Mart and take the #10 or #10H bus down the hill easily enough and at $.60 it's not going to break the bank.

There is a new restaurant down in Canal Park called Hell's Kitchen that is supposed to be good. I haven't eaten there...yet. I think you're spot on with the Vista Cruise idea. I've always enjoyed it.

I won't be around town this weekend because I'm taking the bus to a wedding in MEdora, North Dakota so you're also more than welcome to use my driveway as a basecamp if you'd please. I'm on the 800 east block of 5th st. so I'm not far from downtown, but it's a long ways to walk (though I've done it). You certainly wouldn't want to walk to Canal Park from there, but the bus routes are close by. Or you can just brave the traffic and take your bus down there. If you were to get into town early enough in the day I don't know that parking would be that horrible.

The DTA has trpi planners on Google now as well just as an FYI.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I thought about using the DECC lot but I'm not sure if they allow overnight parking there. Do you know if it is allowed? Otherwise I was thinking about going up the north shore and hunting for a spot. Since it is a weekend I stay out of church parking lots which I would use during the week.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'm really unsure of overnight parking at the DECC as well. There are numerous parks and such down there. Right by the aquarium there is a big wooden playground with a parking lot that I have been past late at night and there have been cars there so I think that would be just fine. I'm not sure what there is or is not up the northshore other than the municipal campground in Two Harbors which is very nice, but you'll have to pay there.

I'll do some thinking here and try and post up some more suggestions. In the meantime my driveway is open like I said.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Rather then a new post I figure I'd run off of this one.
This time we are going north of duluth along 61 and maybe up to the border. We are leaving tonight.

the_experience03, any good spots for overnighting towards the border? We are not taking the bus as it is too expensive on fuel for most trips these days. We are using my van for now which is less than half the cost and a little more low profile so who knows we might be able to get away with more.