Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Three words a woman should never say to your partner

Just means I have come up with an idea that may save us some $$, may mean more work for David and/or may be so crazy it might work.

Me: "Honey, I've been thinking....."
David: "Oh no. Okay, what have you been thinking"

I also get what I call "dumb ideas". My favourite dumb idea...

One of David's sisters was married to a guy who knew everything and had done everything. We used to go tent camping with them. We had a big cabin tent and they did too. They lost one of the corners one time. Luckily, they were pulling the tent out at home to clean it. David & Ron were trying to figure out how to "make" a corner. I listened to them for a few minutes and then said "I have a dumb idea. Why don't you use a 90° elbow PVC pipe fitting, glue a piece of PVC pipe on one end that will slide down into the hollow tent pole leg about 6" or so. Dry fit another 6" pipe into the horizontal pole and elbow so that you can remove it and it all fit into the tent pole bag." After telling me that wouldn't work.... it worked.

One day Ron tapped his favourite tobacco pipe out too hard and broke the pipe stem. It snapped in half shearing off the pipe stem end tight inside the bowl side. He was trying to pull it out with needle nose pliers and anything else he could find. I said "I have a dumb idea" and then suggested that he simply screw a drywall screw into the tiny hole in the broken piece and then pull the plastic piece out by the screw with a pair of pliers. After I was told it wouldn't work... it worked.

Sometimes thinking outside the box sounds like a dumb idea. And you have be "thinking" to come up with the "dumb idea".

A great deal of our bus conversion has involved "dumb ideas". And often it is prefaced with "Honey, I've been thinking...". It also has meant we change things from one way to another often. David makes "executive decisions".

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

What I worry about is the phone call from Lisa when she has a day off and calls about an item of destruction/installation

one time:
"honey what is the biggest Tap you have at work?"
"ugh...why?"
"i'm just installing a spray nozzle in the kitchen"

I came home to the kitchen sink,and all the bits and pcs associated with it laid out on the kitchen floor
Her idea was good,just drill and tap the plastic "log" between the handles and screw in the sprayer fitting.

Problem was the plastic was only 1/16 thick,no room for threads...so I bought a new faucet with the fitting already installed

She has no problem grabbing a sawzall,grinder,drill etc.

she says "If I screw it up...you can fix-it"

I love her for those moments
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I have that problem in reverse. It's my wife who most often does not want to hear what I'm thinking! My ideas usually cost $$.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
What I worry about is the phone call from Lisa when she has a day off and calls about an item of destruction/installation... She has no problem grabbing a sawzall,grinder,drill etc...
WOW, she needs to get a job at a toy store! How about the Lowe's in Elizabethton?
Oh the things that I have found at Home Depot that I would love to have...... no room! And some fantastic reduced price items too.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

She would do it, but she loves working parts counters in the auto industry, she has tons of contacts...plus I get killer deals on parts

She hates the customers that actually come up and say "I need to talk to the "parts MAN"...she like "ok"

The ones that know her, know she can list part numbers and show them the parts and where they go and how they work.

She wanted to know about rearend gears and such...so I pulled an old one out took it apart and then she knew were all the shims,bearings etc went and what they do
same with about every removable part, when she says "x,y, or Z" is wrong with her truck, it normally is free diagnostics
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote