Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Time to eco-mod the Caprice.

A duramax caprice would be awesome. Trouble is, you'd have to drive it a few bazillion miles to recoup the investment. I doubt the 4.3 would pick up much mileage and it's not near as good an engine as the small block.

Personally, I think the most practical thing to do would be to lighten it up as much as possible, do some exhaust work and possibly install higher rear end gearing although, it's probably already pretty hgh considering the mileage it gets already.

The 6 speed would be fun, but, from a practicality/economic point of view, it probably doesn't make sense.

pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

i bet a 6.3 chevy na diesel and a 6 speed trans could get 35 mpg or better in that car....

but an engine swap is a really huge deal. you would have to work hard to find one for cheap, but i'm sure they're out there.

a 6 speed in a car like that sounds like good fun

it's amazing to me how great of gas mileage the caprice and the crown vic are able to get even with 8 cylinder gasoline engines and automatic trans.

i'm not really convinced that less restrictive exhaust equates to more mpg. They did a story on NPR recently about fuel economy myths. one of them is that a new air filter will improve fuel economy. in a few different vehicles, they got mpg numbers using a k&n filter, a stock new filter, and an extremely dirty filter. In all three cases, the dirty filters gave the highest mpg numbers. Restrict the air flow, and the computer will automatically restrict the flow of fuel.

good luck
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

SCrew the weedeater engines in the Volvo...ring up COnverse & drop in a Ford 302! Alternately...Jaguars That Run has a SB Chevy conversion. Hmm, LS1 Volvo, anyone?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

I have...the torque steer was very impressive! The power...not so much. Sorry, but 200-250HP just isn't that much in a 3500+lb sedan. Heck, my father in law's Concorde has more than that. An LS1 will double that easily (300+HP stock, 500+ is very easy), and I'd bet it would be LIGHTER than the stock engine.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote