Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Tire Blowout

Question: Has anyone had a tire, particularly a front tire blow out while driving? I saw a bus on the news the other day that was in a fatal crash due to loss of control from a front blowout. The tires on my bus are old and the tread isn't great, but I don't see any cracks or splitting. They handled a 250-mile drive last June just fine, but the bus has more or less been sitting in one place since then. Buying new front tires is not an option right now.

Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Tire Blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjespers
I read somewhere that if you have a blowout on a front tire, especially in a truck or RV, the best thing to do his floor the accelerator. Somehow the physics of increasing thrust will help you regain control, then you gradually let off on the pedal and come to a stop.
This is absolutely correct in almost any vehicle. It has to do with kinetic and static coefficients of friction as well as centripedal force. A tire that is rolling happily along forward is not going to skid sideways. Flooring it also should help to overcome the sudden shift in torque on the geometry of the chassis that wants to throw it sideways.

I lost a rear tire on my bus. It isn't nearly as exciting as the front, but there was a definite change in the handling characteristics (sway mostly) after it went out. Keep your eye open for some cheap used tires if nothing else. I understand how money can be tight...believe me...but your life is worth something too.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
KDN
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 5.9 cummins turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I found a guy who has great deals on bus parts and tires.He's in Wisconsin. His name is Tim and you can reach him at 608-387-5160 or on ebay under member name suhanich123
I once blew the front tire on my Harley at about 50 mph, nearly messed my pants and almost gave up riding! To stay on topic, I have never heard of speeding up, just hold on tight and let it come to a crawl on it's own ( no brakes)is my advice. By the way, Hi! I'm a former lurker now a member and the proud owner of an '91 blue bird
Hope this helps, Willy
KDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Motorcycles... there's a good point there. I also ride a motorcycle, and I rarely consider what would happen should the front tire blow. I would feel safer in a bus with a front blowout than my motorcycle.

Thanks for the help, but I don't believe the tires on my bus are in desperate condition. As long as I can replace them within the next few years they will be fine. After all, I only anticipate putting 700-900 miles per year on my bus.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

We've all seen enough COPS! episodes and police chase videos to illustrate this point... When the bad guys keep on trucking with flat or blown tires it's not because they're stepping on the brakes. They got the pedal all the way down! They're just trying to get away, but they're inadvertently doing the right thing under a blown tire incident.

I had a blowout on my motorcycle once. It scared me so bad I never rode on questionable tires again. New tires every year after that!

-Ray
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

I got hit in the chest by a sage chicken. Does that count? Never lost a front tire on a bike or schoolie. (knock on my head)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

I had a front tire blow at highway speed in a kenworth with a full load of lumber on a dual trailer setup coming up Interstate 5 in Oregon.
Best thing to do is hold the wheel TIGHT and push pedal to floor. After all rubber has flown off the tire and you are sitting on the rim you just ruined, slow down and ease it over to side of road so you can change your underwear.

I have also had one go in the gillig transit bus, not even close to being as exciting as the kenworth, but still guaranteed to make your pooper pucker.

I would recommend you get some used tires with better tread, but stay away from retreads on the front. When they go it makes a mess.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote