Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Tire replacement costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Interesting discussion. Lots to learn about brand names. I will keep this all in mind.

Sometimes the brand name in any product is nothing but advertising. Sometimes the Toyota is equal to the Lexus. The few trips I have driven in CDL vehicles did not involve any tire servicing or changes, etc. I have experiences with various passenger and light truck tires only.

For example, the new work Chevy in '86 came from the factory with Tiger Paws, and they wouldn't hold the road unless it was bone dry. The truck would turn sideways at 30 MPH if it hit a spot of geezer spit. I was glad when they wore out in under 30,000 miles. I discovered Kelly made a good rain tire, which is what I had needed for driving 365 days/year in rain, snow, sleet, etc. (EDIT: I have been buying them for over two decades.) I used to get 60,000 miles of on and off road use out of a pair, 12 months as steers (winter/summer) followed by another summer on the rear when the snows came off. Last tire replacement for our personal car, an independent dealer let me know Kelly also made MasterCraft, and I have been getting good service from a set in all kinds of weather on our AWD, despite the unknown name.

What the equivalent of these brands are in the truck world, I had no clue. I expect whatever I buy for a used skoolie will need new shoes pretty much right away. Thanks to all of you with personal experiences chiming in with your stories.
I recall Mastercraft is actually made by Cooper. Kelly is owned by Goodyear. Kelly does make truck/bus tires (sold under the nname "Kelly Armorsteel"), as does Cooper. The Roadmaster is also a Cooper design, but it's from China. At this point, if I couldn't get good take-offs for the front, I have to say I would give serious consideratiopn to Roadmaster & Doublecoin.

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Jaraxle, you are right - brain phart at the keyboard after a long day.
The tires I used to buy were Cooper Trendsetters, and I bought Mastercraft because they were made by Cooper.
I don't know why I thought of Kelly. I guess it was a case of "Old-timer's Disease."
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Have to check, but I recall the Mastercraft Avenger is essentially the old Cooper Cobra GT.

(And I have to say, I think "Armorsteel" is a pretty good name for a heavy-duty truck tire!)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

I just had two front tires replaced on my new-ish conversion and the cost was as follows:

Kelly KSR I 255/70R22.5 - $300 each
Mounting - $29 each
Dynabeads - $18 each tire

I also bought a 7.5" Dayton wheel rim and a third tire to use as a spare on the road. The rim was discounted $20 and they mounted this tire (also with Dynabeads) for free.

Total cost for three tires, mounting, Dynabeads, new wheel rim, new valve stems, taxes, and various state-required regulatory fees: $1,197.61

I bought the Kelly tires based on a recommendation from my neighbor who is a recently retired long haul trucker.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote