Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
At a minimum get two really good front tires. The others can wait. I just happened to be able to afford the tires at the time and figured I wouldn't be able to afford it under normal financial conditions.
I ruined a front wheel and tire on the way home when I picked up my bus. There was no spare so I removed one of the duels and put it on the front. At the time I was only a couple miles from home, but I obviously had to drive back to town to get the tires. I wouldn't do it while carrying a heavy load, but there were no problems and it drove ok on five tires.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I agree with Robin. On automobiles, most safety "experts" recommend the best tires go on the rear claiming the steering will overcome a front blowout. Not the same on a bus, especially with duallies. The bus's higher center of gravity makes front blowouts more dangerous than those on the rear. And with duallies, the likelihood of losing both tires on one side are quite slim. So keep your steering tires in good shape. Truckers routinely run re-treads...but never on the front.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think im going to just take the easy and safe way out.

before I drive my bus the 1100 miles home, im just going to get 6 Brand new tires for it...

so I should ask then... what brand / type are good tires that will last?

biggest hurdle will be finding a shop that has locations in florida and ohio, so I can get a warranty that covers me.. unless commercial tires dont have warranty.. I never bought em before...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #24
Almost There

Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22
Noise!

Our bus had Michelin on the front when we first bought it. We replaced them with Power King Navigators.

Wish we had of spent more for less noise. These aren't real bad but not real good either.
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #25
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I agree with Robin. On automobiles, most safety "experts" recommend the best tires go on the rear claiming the steering will overcome a front blowout. Not the same on a bus, especially with duallies. The bus's higher center of gravity makes front blowouts more dangerous than those on the rear. And with duallies, the likelihood of losing both tires on one side are quite slim. So keep your steering tires in good shape. Truckers routinely run re-treads...but never on the front.

Great point. Also love your classic bus. It was born just a couple of years befofe me, I'm a 1949 model.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Thanks Shortstuff. Unfortunately (for me), my bus is a year younger than I am.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #27
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks Shortstuff. Unfortunately (for me), my bus is a year younger than I am.
Tango we have to look on the bright side and think of the alternative to getting old, thers only one ya know .

Our shorty looks like a prison bus, but thats a good thing for me although hubby wanted to flash it out I even considered drawing bars on the windows. Nobody bothers us including cops.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

When it comes to tires, if you have two people together talking about them you are going to have at least three opinions. All three of which will most likely have some value.

IMHO, the cost difference between a recap and a virgin is not enough to be worth the difference since you are going to time out before you wear out your tires. And with a recap you are starting with a time disadvantage since they are not new.

IMHO, the cost difference between name brands and cheap Chinese knockoffs is not worth the price since again, you are going to time out before you wear out your tires.

The most important thing is to purchase tires that are of a common size that is large enough to carry the load your bus will be carrying. The more common the size the more likely it will be to find a replacement when you are at the back of beyond somewhere and you need to replace a tire.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I ended up with chinese brand "Triangle" tires because of the exact logic listed from @cowlitzcoach.

They seem to be good enough. Not cheap - about $350 a tire, but are considered all position tires and had a mid year 2015 date code when I bought them at the end of 2015, which tells me the supply chain works rather well. I roll the bus around every couple weeks to keep the flat spot off the tires - and all the driving I've had on them feels fine. Mostly highway and some curvy back road stuff. Drives like...a truck? I guess.

Triangle Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
When it comes to tires, if you have two people together talking about them you are going to have at least three opinions. All three of which will most likely have some value.

IMHO, the cost difference between a recap and a virgin is not enough to be worth the difference since you are going to time out before you wear out your tires. And with a recap you are starting with a time disadvantage since they are not new.

IMHO, the cost difference between name brands and cheap Chinese knockoffs is not worth the price since again, you are going to time out before you wear out your tires.

The most important thing is to purchase tires that are of a common size that is large enough to carry the load your bus will be carrying. The more common the size the more likely it will be to find a replacement when you are at the back of beyond somewhere and you need to replace a tire.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #30
Bus Geek

$350 is pretty close to what I paid for name brand tires. I know I'll never wear out these commercial tires and I also know it's kind of a waist of money, but good name brand tires make me feel a lot more secure. I don't have my security blanket anymore.
I thought the Chinese tires were about $200 apiece?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I could not get name brand tires for any less than about $425 per tire, and then only in steer and drive specific tires. (Seattle area)

Six tires plus install, remove, disposal, balancing beads ends up significantly more for even bottom of the list "name brand". In my case the cheapest non Chinese tires were Japanese Yokohama tires.

Good year and Michelin tires were somewhere around $450 and up per tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
$350 is pretty close to what I paid for name brand tires. I know I'll never wear out these commercial tires and I also know it's kind of a waist of money, but good name brand tires make me feel a lot more secure. I don't have my security blanket anymore.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Ouch! Typical "better" Chinese tires run $200 bucks a pop here in Houston. I don't get...you guys are a LOT closer to China up there.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Yeah, we could probably drive there to get tires but traffic is so difficult in China.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Yeah, we could probably drive there to get tires but traffic is so difficult in China.
Yup

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #35
Bus Geek

I think that's a Chinese Wallmart parking lot.

Yes I know it's a toll gate.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
They are here.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
For work, I only buy name brand, non Chinese. For my personal use and pocket book, I went with Samson steers and retread rears. Going on 5-6 years later... I would by the Samson steers in a heart beat. I hate to admit it, but they ride better then the last Michelin steers we got for work. I have lost one rear retread, and have no faith in any of them.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when looking at tires.. how do I tell the difference between "replace me now!" dry-rot and simple "weather check" that is rather harmless??

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

The date codes will tell you more than a visual check.

But in regards to a visual check, if you can see any cords it is time to replace.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Tango: can you tell me where you found tires for $200-ish each in the Houston area? I need six and have not found anything under $280. I'd be forever in your debt if you'd share your source!