Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

To Purchase or not? Please Advise!

Hello everyone! I have been looking for a while and am really excited about a possible project. Like most everyone else I wanted something better quality than an overpriced RV so I have been researching converting a bus. Here is my dilemma.

I am currently in grad school and our first baby will be here in 2-3 weeks (I am so excited). Financially we are in a good situation and I am cautious to add any financial strain until I am finished with school and working again (two years). I have found a bus that meets my requirements (basement storage, 8.3l cummins, Allison 3060 trans, lower miles, no rust, etc.) and although it is more costly than most, it requires much less work to be used (it isn't yellow either). We have family all over the country and a teenage stepdaughter and pets so flying is not a really good option. The sale of my truck would allow purchase of the bus with no loan and I could buy something much cheaper than my current truck. A slower conversion would allow us to use the bus for travel and enjoy it until I am working again and can commit more funds. My question is this. Should I pull the trigger and get this bus that I am pretty sure I won't come across again when finances are better, or play it safe and hold out until we are "ready".

Thank you for you thoughts.

Eric

Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Do you have somewhere you can store it without it being a financial burden or without the possibility of the neighborhood revolting on you?
Ryank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I am currently looking for a place to store it but want to be able to work on it. As long as it's not to expensive and somewhere close to home and I can work on it. Shouldn't be to difficult to find. Hopefully
Old 07-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
too many major variables for me!

in school
not working
kid on the way
truck sale pending, (then picking up something cheaper IF the other one sells and you get what you need out of it.)
storage
don't know if you're renting or own

only you know what your daily expenses are, and what you can live with or without.
dunno how many kids you've got now, but them suckers are expensive!

personally, in my situation I wouldn't make any major changes with a baby on the way.

But, I know you're flip flopping with the idea of not finding another bus like this one, and I'm glad it's not me with the choice.

(No offense intended)

Empty Nest Bachelor life is looking pretty sweet to me right now

Ramen noodles "aren't really that bad" with a little Sriracha

edit:
Don't get me wrong.... I can spend someone else's money all day long!
You're coming to a discussion forum asking an open ended question to a bias community, asking for reassurance.

This is a sit down with the wife and have a long talk discussion, more than anything else
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

With a baby on the way and Grad school you probably won't have time to work on it for awhile. Think of it like this, if you pay $80 a month to store and can't do any real work on it for a year than thats $960 down the drain that you could have spent on a bus had you have waited till when you were ready to do work on it. If it were me I would just keep saving money, wait until you know you have the time to work on the conversion and then start looking for the right bus. Enough buses go through all the auctions and random sites that you should be able to find another good bus in no more than 6 months or so if you are willing to travel. The last thing you want is a bus sitting there eating at your wallet as you push through grad school with a newborn waking you up every night.
Ryank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryank327 View Post
With a baby on the way and Grad school you probably won't have time to work on it for awhile. Think of it like this, if you pay $80 a month to store and can't do any real work on it for a year than thats $960 down the drain that you could have spent on a bus had you have waited till when you were ready to do work on it. If it were me I would just keep saving money, wait until you know you have the time to work on the conversion and then start looking for the right bus. Enough buses go through all the auctions and random sites that you should be able to find another good bus in no more than 6 months or so if you are willing to travel. The last thing you want is a bus sitting there eating at your wallet as you push through grad school with a newborn waking you up every night.

I'd wanna be sitting on at least $40,000 nest egg, personally.... with this kind of timing we're talking about.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input. It is good to hear outside point of views.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
You haven't said what the price is so I don't know if buying the bus will break you. I say buy the bus. Traveling with an infant on a plane can be a pain for everyone not just you. The bus isn't yellow so you won't need to pay for paint. Do a quick and dirty conversion and you are ready to haul ass across country. That 8.3 with 5th gear overdrive will cruise and get good mileage. You won't be driving from Texas at 45-50 mph like I did coming home.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

It won't financially break me and actually we won't feel it at all. I will just be driving a different daily driver. You hit the nail on the head. I am not interested in flying across the country with the items involved with a young child and not to mention the price of tickets for a family of 4 (and what about the dogs). We have very nice schedules and have the ability to travel often. I loved my time in a travel trailer and loved driving a bus daily so this is the best of both.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #10

Then buy it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emidd27 View Post
It won't financially break me and actually we won't feel it at all. I will just be driving a different daily driver. You hit the nail on the head. I am not interested in flying across the country with the items involved with a young child and not to mention the price of tickets for a family of 4 (and what about the dogs). We have very nice schedules and have the ability to travel often. I loved my time in a travel trailer and loved driving a bus daily so this is the best of both.
the rest of the story comes out.....
If that's the case, then I'm with Cal
Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
the rest of the story comes out.....
If that's the case, then I'm with Cal
See. I'm starter than I look.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
See. I'm starter than I look.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I concur, if all it is comes to be having a different daily driver, then get the bus and enjoy it. I had to wait THREE YEARS to find the one I have now. Getting the one you want is better than letting it go by just to seek another one that may or may not come available...
Old 07-26-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Hate to say it, but I have well over $3000 in storage alone.

I will have another $2400 in storage before I'm done.

My bus progress has come to a complete stop due to my baby being expected mid September. For me, my wife no longer working for the next year, and my time being needed at home will make progress nearly imposable.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I am still on the fence but good things are happening. I decided to post my truck for sale just to feel out the market and have 3 people interested and one offer that I declined because I believe I can get my asking price. My wife and I have been talking on and off and she is very supportive (I hit the lottery with this woman) and sees how it could be a good project for us and beneficial for the family. We may go look at it again at the end of the week and take it for a drive. Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sometimes Grasshopper...the answer lies within you...and only you.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Sometimes Grasshopper...the answer lies within you...and only you.
Ha ha Nice! for whatever reason I am pretty excited about the possibility of all of this.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #19

Just be careful you don't lose it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly