Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

To purchase or not to purchase? This is the question!

Hello Schoolie Forum Community!

I hope all is well. My name is Mr. Neal; and this post serves as both my first to this website; and to an online forum in general. With regard to a bus purchase I'm poised to make, I figured this would be an ideal time to seek some 3rd party perspective on the bus purchase I'm considering making. The bus specifications (based on what was provided by the selling company) are as follows:

Year: 2002
Model: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Transmission: Allison
Air Brakes: NO
Mileage:
Last Route Date:
Reason for being De-Commisioned: Age & Body Condition
Sale Price: $1500 +Tax etc.
Bus Location: Wisconsin

I'm aware this very short list of details isn't enough to make a solid decision on whether to adopt this 40ft project. I'm entirely aware there's more defining details such as engine condition, transmission condition and driving condition that should aid in making that final purchase decision. However, I'm interested in gaining some perspective regarding this particular model, its year and any potential conversion obstacles etc. I'm looking to consider the GOOD, BAD & THE UGLY of the situation. I prefer the flat nose bus, the year is sufficient and I'm willing to take on the project; should it not include bringing this bus back from mechanical life support.

A little foresight regarding how the buses' exterior condition coincides with what could potentially be in need of repair internally would be helpful. The company representative stated the bus is in good working order; with mechanics having no concerns regarding its condition. My primary concern lies within the parameters of how the amount of rust a bus has factors into its overall condition; and future of use. The bus has been driven in Wisconsin's weather; where winters can be taxing on vehicles of most types. I'd like to know if this should raise significant concerns as a potential buyer of the bus. I clearly understand that a $1500 bus in most cases translates into some issues; but I'm thinking its most recent decommissioning might reflect this bus has a decent amount of life in it; and merely needs an exterior facelift and some slight tinkering with the engine.

A link to photos of the referenced bus can be found below for your viewing. Please take into consideration I'm a conquerer of most tasks; so converting the bus won't be much of an issue. I'd simply like to be sure my decision to acquire this, or any bus, can be more guided; and less of a dice roll. For those thinking "buy new", I'm an individual whose always enjoyed investing creative and craftsman equity into projects; so buying new from both an equity and cost standpoint would'nt be ideal in this regard. Thank you in advance for your feedback; and until we correspond, take care.

The link to the bus photos is: https://i.imgsafe.org/08484bc6a9.jpg

-Mr. Neal

Mr. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome, that rust looks nasty, I wouldn't buy it because of that and no air brakes? in 2002 you would think it would have them...so watch out for rusty brake lines etc

check wheel wells and the whole over all condition of sheet metal, the damage on the rear looks major
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Double post.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, purchase, sale, schoolie