Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Towing Enclosed Car Trailer

I've been looking at small enclosed car trailers lately and was pretty set on getting a new one custom built with a 5' tounge...then I realized just how much a new trailer will cost. So off to find a used trailer.

Finding a used trailer with an extended tounge us kind of hard, they all seem to be around 44". I've found a trailer I like but it has the 44" tounge. Do you guys think I'll have issues with bus and trailer hitting each other? Does anyone have experience towing an enclosed trailer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

nwarner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I towed a dump trailer a few times with my former bus (38 ft long, engine in front and long tail overhang behind the rear axle). Conceptually it's similar to an enclosed trailer: the box is about 77" wide outside, which is as wide as it could be with wheels and fenders being outboard and approaching the 102" max width. It has an A-frame tongue which as I recall puts the ball about 4 feet ahead of the box. Only towed it a few times and didn't have any trouble.

Maybe you could make yourself a mock-up with any old trailer and a few 2x4 clamped to it to simulate the size of an enclosed trailer. Even a few boards laid on the ground would let you visualize how tightly it'll have to turn to have bumper-vs-trailer interference.

My gut feel is you'd not have any trouble while driving forward, but as with most trailers, it wouldn't be hard while backing to jack-knife far enough to crunch something. (but also not hard to pay attention and avoid doing this)
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Honestly, having priced new and used trailers in my area (North Georgia), the prices really aren't all that different. Used cargo trailers seem to hold their value very well, but shop around for new ones. No need to buy a $7000 trailer when a $4500 one is (for all intents and purposes) virtually the same.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Save a little by buying a used trailer...then put the savings into a good rear view cam system.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Tango, you're spot on about the rear view camera and nwarner2010, the first time you back up and jack knife the new trailer you'll wish you had listened to Tango! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 AM   #6
Skoolie

I'll think I'll try and make a mock up using 2x4s and see how it looks. I wish I could go look at the trailer buts it's a little far away.

The trailers I was looking at had cabinets and 110v power etc. The price of these options adds up quick! It seems like these options don't hold much value used though. The new ones I was looking at are made by diamond cargo, a GA company .

Agreed on the camera. I already have a cheap back up cam to use as a rear view camera and a cheap monitor. Just need to find time to install them. Can't remember the price but I'd guess the monitor and camera set me back $40.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
don't know where you live. around here you can buy an open 16' car hauler with brakes both axles, lights and pull away for 1650 bucks new. i got a bid of 2500 to install the axles further back so i can use the front 6' for enclosed storage, v front, 1 side door and add 2' to the tongue. the area around the vehicle would be open.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
The farther south, the cheaper trailers are. (Lots are made in Ga. ) a trailer thats $4k in Ga. is $6k in Ct. Shipping and all that.
I tow a 7x12 trailer everytime the bus rolls. Can't even feel it back there. Backing it up is tricky-the difference in distance from rear wheels to hitch/hitch to trailer wheels.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Skoolie

I thought about an open trailer for the cost/weight savings but really would like my car protected from the winter roads.

I'm in northern NY and shipping for a trailer from GA to up here runs around $1600. Still cheaper than buying one local.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
A few years ago I was looking for an enclosed trailer and found prices on used about the same as new. True, options do add up rather quickly! And yes, options usually don't hold their value. What you might consider "necessary", I might consider "something that needs to go" (I got mine with the intention of using it for moving). I ended up finding an 8x20 Wells Cargo that had been in a fight with a tree. I picked it up for ... a little over $2000.

I replaced the roof (salvaged from a wrecked road trailer), 4 roof bows, front wall upper cap (a piece of angle iron), upper front cap (fiberglass?), 2 front sheets of aluminum and rebuilt the side door. I also added 2 rows of E-track on front and side walls. In terms of actual money spent I probably have somewhere around $3K in it, plus a few days of labor.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
The "cheaper" line seems to be Va. I have friends that just took a ride down there to buy a trailer.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote