Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #1

Unhappy Towing my school bus

I got a chevy 1999 Short Bus for free. That I plan to live with my girlfriend in San Diego. The thing is that the bus is currently broken down in San Francisco. It has only 125k miles so we really want it to keep and convert.

I am planning to rent a f-250 to go and towing it down since I have a mechanic that is going to fixed.

My questions are:
Could I tow it with a Uhaul tow dolly ? it is safe?
There is another solution ?

carozonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
What does this weigh? towing a vehicle with a smaller vehicle from the bumper is sketchy at best even for those of us that fake it. If you had a goose neck trailer it changes the dynamics of the load considerably. I guess it really depends on the toad vehicles weight compared to what you have on this ford truck. its a empty bed back there and you could easily get pushed around in a sharp turn. brakes are that big of a deal I would hope you are driving slow? but if you get pulled over because it looks awkward. Flat towed vehicle now have to have remote brake controllers on the toad vehicle. Before you dump the gas and time into this move is there a chance you could have tech diagnose and or repair it where it is and then just drive it.
My first thought is no towing it with out a goose neck trailer simply because I'm guessing it weights a lot.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

I doubt a dolly from U-Haul will work for towing a bus, even a Type 'A' bus. I don't think the track is wide enough for larger vehicles.

The U-Haul vehicle trailers would be the same problem of being too narrow.

I also seriously doubt a rental 3/4-ton truck would be able to tow something as large as a bus.

The safest way to haul would be on a trailer that is equipped with brakes and towed by a vehicle large enough to tow well over 10,000 lbs.

Good luck!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
towing

First of all we need a bit more info on the bus. "short bus "means anything from a standard chevy van to bread truck size. And NO, a 3/4 ton pickup will not tow it safely. Not enough weight on the back or stopping power. Remember, you are stopping for 2 1/2 now.
The best thing to do is get it fixed where it's at or have a pro towing company do it. Not worth the risk of 3 plus tons of bus out of control. I speak from experience, This can go sideways real fast. You can even kill someone.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mid-bus, towing