Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
Skoolie

Towing travel trailer with bus?

Hey guys, I've been viewing this forum from the outside for a long time, and I finally decided to join. I'm used to driving truck and trailer, as well as buses. I've got a 28ft tandem axle travel trailer that I am repairing, and that I plan on using as an office and as hunting cabin when my family and I go deer hunting.

I am looking at getting a shorter bus, and installing a hitch to tow the bumper pull. I'm going to go look at an affordable 1993 GM bus with a 366 gasser, and I'll post some pictures of it and details for my project.

My current tow vehicle is a 1995 C2500 with a 6.5L Detroit Diesel (Stock) and the 4L80E automatic transmission. For any of you truck guys, save the bashing please. I have what I have, and I know it's not going to be a 500+hp built up cummins. This engine is great for what I use the truck for, but not for pulling the TT.

Buying a bigger truck isn't very allowing on the budget, and a short bus would be very useful with it's combined cargo capacity, and it's passenger capacity. I had aimed to find one with a rear wheelchair lift, for easy loading of stuff, but they obviously run a bit higher.

Stay tuned for pictures, information, and updates.
Charlies.Contingency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Team

biggest issue is the van type shorties are near wt capacity and it won't pull as good as your 3/4 pu

I would look for a 3/4 size bus with a diesel and allison tranny and you get airbrakes and such, look at tygercubs bus for size (none of her pics work anymore)

You could probably get a 3/4 size fullsize bus cheaper than a van style

CC just bought one he tows with
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My thought too Bansil. Most gasser bus-vans are at or near their weight limit and doing good just to move the bus itself. Any toad will push most of them beyond their limits. A diesel will have the extra torque to move a bigger load.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Skoolie

I wish I new how to add pictures on here. Can somebody suggest the easiest way?

A 24 passenger GM chasis with a bluebird body.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies.Contingency View Post
I wish I new how to add pictures on here. Can somebody suggest the easiest way?

A 24 passenger GM chasis with a bluebird body.
Host them on photobucket or Imgur. They provide links for forums to copy and paste into the message board, and both are free

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Host them on photobucket or Imgur. They provide links for forums to copy and paste into the message board, and both are free
I'll go dig up my old photobucket account. I'm used to being to upload straight from my phone. (Iphone4)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Same for Flickr. Copy and paste the "BBB" link.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Site Team

this might help you
how-to-post-pictures-and-video-on-skoolie
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Skoolie

I'm posting this reply again, as I'm not sure what happened to it the first time, so I hope it doesn't double post.

Here is the bus that I'm looking at now, I will get more photos when I get the chance, as well as exact specs. It is a 1993 GM built with a blue bird cab, and a GM 366 BBC. It's a small bore tall block, so low HP, but good on torque. I know many may suggest a diesel, but I have no intention of getting into working on medium duty diesels again. When you have big problems, I can't afford the fix. I want a long lasting cheaper alternative, and I think that a 366 will suit me fine.

My current truck, as stated above, is a 1995 C2500 with a 6.5L Detroit Diesel V8. It's fairly lacking in the power department, but it produces good MPG's, and it is my daily driver, not just a towing truck. The first picture is of the truck and my 28ft RV. Note that the stance of my truck looks really funny, but the front tires on it are 265/75/16, while the rear are 245/75/16. That contributed a lot to the odd stance. The second photo is just a regular picture of my truck, same off tire sizes. If I happen to post more of my truck, keep in mind the tire set-up may change, as I have about 10 tires I've rotated out on it. (Used to work oilfield, so I had to change flats a lot, so having half a dozen spares helped keep me going!)

Now, keep in mind what I want to do. Here is a similar set up, though I think little of fords.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Two things come to mind. Length restrictions and fuel economy, which you won't have any with that 366. In California, max length is 65'. Differs in other states.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote