Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Skoolie

Towing travel trailer with bus?

Hey guys, I've been viewing this forum from the outside for a long time, and I finally decided to join. I'm used to driving truck and trailer, as well as buses. I've got a 28ft tandem axle travel trailer that I am repairing, and that I plan on using as an office and as hunting cabin when my family and I go deer hunting.

I am looking at getting a shorter bus, and installing a hitch to tow the bumper pull. I'm going to go look at an affordable 1993 GM bus with a 366 gasser, and I'll post some pictures of it and details for my project.

My current tow vehicle is a 1995 C2500 with a 6.5L Detroit Diesel (Stock) and the 4L80E automatic transmission. For any of you truck guys, save the bashing please. I have what I have, and I know it's not going to be a 500+hp built up cummins. This engine is great for what I use the truck for, but not for pulling the TT.

Buying a bigger truck isn't very allowing on the budget, and a short bus would be very useful with it's combined cargo capacity, and it's passenger capacity. I had aimed to find one with a rear wheelchair lift, for easy loading of stuff, but they obviously run a bit higher.

Stay tuned for pictures, information, and updates.

Charlies.Contingency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Bus Geek

biggest issue is the van type shorties are near wt capacity and it won't pull as good as your 3/4 pu

I would look for a 3/4 size bus with a diesel and allison tranny and you get airbrakes and such, look at tygercubs bus for size (none of her pics work anymore)

You could probably get a 3/4 size fullsize bus cheaper than a van style

CC just bought one he tows with
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My thought too Bansil. Most gasser bus-vans are at or near their weight limit and doing good just to move the bus itself. Any toad will push most of them beyond their limits. A diesel will have the extra torque to move a bigger load.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Skoolie

I wish I new how to add pictures on here. Can somebody suggest the easiest way?

A 24 passenger GM chasis with a bluebird body.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies.Contingency View Post
I wish I new how to add pictures on here. Can somebody suggest the easiest way?

A 24 passenger GM chasis with a bluebird body.
Host them on photobucket or Imgur. They provide links for forums to copy and paste into the message board, and both are free

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Host them on photobucket or Imgur. They provide links for forums to copy and paste into the message board, and both are free
I'll go dig up my old photobucket account. I'm used to being to upload straight from my phone. (Iphone4)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Same for Flickr. Copy and paste the "BBB" link.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Bus Geek

this might help you
how-to-post-pictures-and-video-on-skoolie
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Skoolie

I'm posting this reply again, as I'm not sure what happened to it the first time, so I hope it doesn't double post.

Here is the bus that I'm looking at now, I will get more photos when I get the chance, as well as exact specs. It is a 1993 GM built with a blue bird cab, and a GM 366 BBC. It's a small bore tall block, so low HP, but good on torque. I know many may suggest a diesel, but I have no intention of getting into working on medium duty diesels again. When you have big problems, I can't afford the fix. I want a long lasting cheaper alternative, and I think that a 366 will suit me fine.

My current truck, as stated above, is a 1995 C2500 with a 6.5L Detroit Diesel V8. It's fairly lacking in the power department, but it produces good MPG's, and it is my daily driver, not just a towing truck. The first picture is of the truck and my 28ft RV. Note that the stance of my truck looks really funny, but the front tires on it are 265/75/16, while the rear are 245/75/16. That contributed a lot to the odd stance. The second photo is just a regular picture of my truck, same off tire sizes. If I happen to post more of my truck, keep in mind the tire set-up may change, as I have about 10 tires I've rotated out on it. (Used to work oilfield, so I had to change flats a lot, so having half a dozen spares helped keep me going!)

Now, keep in mind what I want to do. Here is a similar set up, though I think little of fords.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #10

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Two things come to mind. Length restrictions and fuel economy, which you won't have any with that 366. In California, max length is 65'. Differs in other states.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Two things come to mind. Length restrictions and fuel economy, which you have any with that 366. In California, max length is 65'. Differs in other states.
I guess I never stated it above. I'm in Texas. Everything is bigger here, doncha' know?

The length here is 65' as well, which is pretty reasonable. I'll have to measure both, but the trailer is 28' from ball to bumper, and that leaves me with 37' to work with. I'm certain that this shorter 24 passenger bus will fit that easily.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I had to drive an old uhaul truck with the gas 366 in between TN and NC/SC I swore I would never have anything with that engine in it
Old 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
I had to drive an old uhaul truck with the gas 366 in between TN and NC/SC I swore I would never have anything with that engine in it
How badly did you have it loaded? I've played with most of the bus engines, and I am particular to the Detroit 466, but I am specifically avoiding the diesel route. Aside from the occasional tow, it will be primarily used as a family get-together vehicle, with a portion of the rear seats removed for cargo room.

If I were to put together a skoolie, I first have to convince my wife about owning a bus ourselves, and not just driving and working on them. I think this is the route to go, before getting a newer full length bus with a Detroit.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Skoolie

Here is some more info.

I went by, and was able to take another picture, but I was on the run. Attached is also the Craigslist link.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5258206187.html

The bus is in alright shape, tires are pretty fair. 185,000 miles, somebody smashed out back door window, and the hoods grill is broken. Some of the running lights and such need to be re-attached, but nothing but easy stuff. Engine started up and ran nice and quiet, everything still stock from the school district. Not bad for a $2,500 bus, though I'm sure that I could bring that price down even more, as the salesman did not want that bus on his lot.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:03 AM   #15

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
You should be fine on the length. if you won't be driving it much, I guess a gasser is OK.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Why are you specifically avoiding a diesel?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Why are you specifically avoiding a diesel?

Nat
Besides my wife and small children, I am by myself working on stuff now days. All my best friends and buddies are either moved out of town, or military, and stationed out of town. As much as I appreciate the perks of a diesel, when it comes to taking one apart and rebuilding, I find myself at a loss, especially on a POS Cummins.

I am especially avoiding the following diesels:
International: Never cared for them, pretty pathetic to me on power and economy.
Cummins: I am out lots of money due to poor quality, especially faulty heads.

I wouldn't mind a Caterpillar, but I would take a good Detroit if I could find it in the combination I want.

I also pondered the idea of taking a Military 5-ton and removing the bed & cab, and dropping on a Blue bird cab or something.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Id be careful.... people can get quite sensitive about engine mfq. here.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Besides my wife and small children, I am by myself working on stuff now days. All my best friends and buddies are either moved out of town, or military, and stationed out of town. As much as I appreciate the perks of a diesel, when it comes to taking one apart and rebuilding, I find myself at a loss, especially on a POS Cummins.

International: Never cared for them, pretty pathetic to me on power and economy.

I wouldn't mind a Caterpillar, but I would take a good Detroit if I could find it in the combination I want.

I also pondered the idea of taking a Military 5-ton and removing the bed & cab, and dropping on a Blue bird cab or something.
My internationals have always been very powerful and economical.
From the 345 in the Scout Terra II that I drove a couple years at the end of high school, to the 466 in my bus, I've never found them to be wimpy or expensive to run. That scout was a stump puller compared to Broncos and Blazers. The 195hp unit in my bus gets darn near 10mpg as far as I can figure and pulled my 40' bus up and over Monteagle ok.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

Dude, are you trying to be funny?

Every engine you listed as bad is at the top for dependability, performance, and cost efficiency.

A fully mechanical Cummins or International inline engine is simply the best their is. If a Cat or a old Detroit can do the job for $10, the Cummins and international will do it for $2.

The Cat or old Detroit will be in the shop 7 days out of every month, the Cummins and International won't see the shop unless needing a oil or filter change.

Many of the military 5 tons had 8.3 mechanical Cummins engines.

Now that we are passed that, what specifically happened to what engine, that convinced you that Cummins are bad?

I look at it this way. Our shop that maintains over 400 buses have removed any and all buses that are not Cummins or inline Internationals off their fleet. The lack of reliability, and cost of the Cat engine, and any gas engines was just not financially feasible.

You will also see this all over the web.

Back to your regular scheduled programming.

Take care, and good luck.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote