Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Trade for a toyota C class?

Hi,

Been lurking on this board for awhile. I really do wanna be a skoolie owner someday. I am cursed with all the usual character flaws that tend to steer folks to such idiocy. If I was single, I'm sure I would have joined your ranks by now and would probably be living in one. Trouble is though, I got a wife and a few kids.

The wife is definitely not the skoolie type. She concerns herself with such trivial things as what total strangers think.

I have discussed skoolie ownership ownership with her. It usually results in rolling of eyes and her calling me rather unflattering names. She does however admit that some of the better done conversions are pretty sweet.

I am guessing that the only possible way to join this club is to get one that is already converted....atleast partly anyway.

So, if there is anyone out there with such a bus, I might be interested in some sort of swap. My toyota sunrader is an awesome little camper, but, it's a bit crowded for us. We came to this conclusion after a 3 week trip outwest to yellowstone, grand canyon and a few other places. Actually we came to this conclusion after just a few days.

The ideal owner for a toyhouse is a single person or couple looking for an RV to put miles on without going broke. With the 4 of us and plenty of junk, it still managed 16 mpg. The previous owner said he got 18. Maybe he did traveling just with his wife and driving like an old fart. Another advantage is the toy can be driven/parked damn near anywhere a car can. Also, it's basically just an old toy pickup. It is extremely reliable with the 22RE 4 banger and 4 speed OD automatic. After installing new shocks in Utah, it drives just like a car. Before the new shocks, adventures above 70 mph were rather invigorating.

If anyone is interested and would like info reguarding the toyhouses, go to the yahoo group for toyota campers or toyotamotorhome.org the yahoo group is much busier, but the .org site is layed out better. Or you could just ask here or PM me.

Pete

pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Trade for a toyota C class?

Wait...a Toyota motorhome with a 22R-E and an automatic will run 70?!?!

(I'm sorry...I had to...)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I have a wife and two kids as well. MY wife wasn't crazy about the idea of converting a school bus the first time I mentioned it. But I kept on talking about it and showing her pictures. You need to indoctrinate your wife. It only took me about 6 months of convincing and I had my bus. She's coming around now that I'm making progress on it. She even helps me out sometimes with some not so dirty tasks. My kids love the bus too!
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran

Deffenty use the kids as well to win her over...my 6 year old LOVES the bus and is mad because we have it in storage and not liveing in it right now....course the first time I slide him out of his seat and onto his butt (air brakes, got to love them) he was a tad upset with me
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Bus Geek

i have a 10 year old nephew, and he LOVES to get picked up form school in my bus. He sais to me one day "uncle jay, you're famous!" I said i'm not famous. he said "well you are to all my friends!"
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Wait...a Toyota motorhome with a 22R-E and an automatic will run 70?!?!

(I'm sorry...I had to...)
it certainly will, with a little bit of downhill or a stiff tail wind. It might even do it without a wind or grade assistance if you don't mind wringing it out in third, which is not a problem as I am convinced that this is the most bulletproof motor ever made.

On flatground in OD you don't get much past 60 though. OD is real tall in that thing, suited more to downhills or chugging around secondary roads at 45 mph. Ofcourse anything that even resembles a hill requires throwing it into 2nd at about 45 and hoping that it stays in the "powerband". If it doesn't, remember to turn on the 4 way flashers and smile and wave to your fellow motorists as they give you finger while driving by.

If you have no patience, do not take a toyota motorhome through the rockies, or Pennsylvania, for that matter. What an absolutely horrific highway system. They should pay ME to drive the Penn turnpike, not the other way around.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote