Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
I'm with Steve on this one. Cutting a bus body doesn't look like much fun.

I think that you'd be better off stripping the trailer and installing the stuff on the bus.

Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #12
Actually cutting up the body has been kind of fun…it’s a big, noisy and somewhat tedious job, But not that hard.
Having the right tools to do the project is pretty important and does save a bunch of time and effort..

I took a good sized portion of our last buses roof off with a cheap $20.00 jigsaw and a hammer and chisel. Now that was a hard job.
My arms vibrated and my jaw hurt for a week afterward from all the saw kickbacks I took in the face……

But that’s when I didn’t know about which tools were the right ones to use for the job.

I’m using a Dewalt Sawzall and grinder to take the roof and such off our bus now….and they’re doing a pretty good job of it.
The only thing I’m not happy about is I can’t get up on our roof and cut through it using the sawzall because it covered in ice.
So I’m having to make my roof cuts from the inside….which is no fun.

Cutting through the side walls is pretty easy.
I just measure out what I’m going to cut and drill out holes using my drill w/ a holesaw at each corner.
Cut the bottom section out first so it doesn’t bind up the saw blade. Then use the sawzall to take out the sides and top.

I was tempted to rent one of those big monster elec. or gas operated metal cutting saws to do this …but figured sawzalls , at least for me are scary enough to use …so I stuck with the less scary tool.
I have heard it’s pretty easy to cut big sheets of metal using a circular saw and a metal cutting blade, and might try that for the sections of the bus were going to take to the dump.
Are you questioning my Aaa-thoritttyy ?
soused moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
Poor Latcho Drom. She looks like she exploded! I bet your neighbors are very confused, Michael. LOL!
Michael is right on about a very important point regarding the load bearing design differences of a trailer and a skoolie. His point is well considered and he has a lot of experience we can benfit from. The whole thing seems to me to sound cooler in the abstract than it will be in reality considering all the engineering concerns. A bus frame and superstructure are not built that way on a designers whim. They are built that way to perform safely under many years of vibration and stresses from many sources including road surface, grades, wind resistance, load shifting, sudden stops, etc. It might end up being the coolest thing in the world but the devil will definitely be in the details.
Good luck, Guys.
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote