Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
TRX 350 Fuel Pump

So I recently acquired a new-to-me ATV. It's a 1986 Honda TRX350 "Fourtrax" that is in amazing shape. It has it's second engine in it, came with a plow and nice aluminum loading ramps, current registration, and I've known the previous owner my whole life. I really love this machine (it was the first ATV I ever drove). The only major problem is that Honda put the fuel tank under the seat. This means that they needed a fuel pump and those fuel pumps have proven to be somewhat problematic over the years. When it dies you're walking and it's usually out in BFE even though it would be a really easy trail fix. Obviously the solution is to carry a spare pump. The problem is I don't want to get bent over with a gravel sprinkling in my crack at the local dealership just for a spare part. Now I could convert it to a standard automotive fuel pump (the factory one is pulsed) and carry a spare that way, but I'd rather just leave it alone. Does anyone have a source for OEM parts at reasonable prices?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Re: TRX 350 Fuel Pump

I had the same problem with my TRX350. I did all the problem solving in the Honda manual and found everything to be working correctly. The fuel pump was bad however. I bought a new OEM Honda pump from Service Honda and put it in and it worked fine for about a year. Then this spring the same thing happened again. I have found that the Honda pumps are problem-some because they corrode quite heavily inside the black removable cap, especially if you leave your quad outside. I got fedup with the $150 cost of the pump each time and used an automotive pump that works better and is more reliable. This pump is a better pump because its completely contained and moister can't get inside the casing like the OEM honda pump. Pump part number: EP42S by ACDELCO. Its about $65, half the cost of OEM, and works the same. If you can't find the ACDELCO number at your parts store you can look it up by application: 1980 Mazda RX7 with a 1.1 R2 engine. The nice thing about this pump is that you can use your original Honda pump bracketry and rubber surround. It goes there like it was meant to be there from the factory. Just have to make your own wire fasteners.

Hope that helps, eh.

--Dave
vwzzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: TRX 350 Fuel Pump

Cool beans. I'll have to order up a pump (I work in a shop next door to a parts store) to see what it looks like. Now I just need to find the oil temp sender because my light and fans like to randomly come on, even when I turn the key for the first time in two weeks.