Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Unsure where to post

I am interested in a 97 Freightliner FS65 that my school owns, but I am unsure where to place my post.

U-Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Hello U-Haul, and welcome aboard!
Since we don't know what your question(s) is / are, this is just as good a place as any to start. Post away and let's see where it goes from here!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Well the bus is a 38 Footer FS65, but is actually a 1998 I am guessing off of two year old data that it now it has aound 85K miles. I know the bus is a diesel, I know it is not a Mercedes, and it is an automatic. The bus is pretty much barebones with only a few options including an air seat and door, but no air conditioning. There is also a luggage compartment underneath. Spoke to a mechanic and was told that the bus is worth around $7K.

This is the closest photo I found since I need to learn how to post my own photos.
http://www.schoolbusenthusiast.com/june ... et_49.html
School who owns the bus.
http://www.newfieldschools.org/
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

That is great info, but what is you question? I'm sure between all of us we have more answers than you need.... Sounds like a good buy, it's also a bit newer than most of have seen available... The storage compartment is handy, will save you the trouble of building your own.

Lack of A/C is pretty normal. Best thing to do there if you need A/C is install a roof top unit and a generator, run the genset while driving to power the A/C with. You may be surprised to find out most Motor Home owners do this too, as the dash air doesn't put out enough to cool down an entire coach...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Unsure where to post

Sorrry for not getting to the point.
These buses seem to drive well from what I have witnessed, but has anyone here driven one?
Am I completely nuts?
I am sure I will think a few more in my sleep.
Not many questions just a declaration of love.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Since you say it is a freightliner I will asume it is a thomas body, is this correct?

I have drivin them a few times and not by choice but it was cause I needed a bus to pull the band trailer and it was the one they had set up for it. I think the one I used was a 2003 model but the interior is the same and for the most part they handle the same. I don't care for the way the driver seat sits up a couple inches from the rest of the floor and I don't care for the way the wiper arms are placed. Overhall comfort isn't that bad, the steering wheel is nicley placed and unlike the internationals you can see the dash without moving foward to see past the steering wheel. They ride smooth when full of kids but when empty you may notice a ride that got them their nickname of freightshaker, unless it has air ride in the rear them it won't be as bad. I like to think they do alright on fuel but since I don't drive them everyday I can not say exact numbers They also seem to need more battery power to start the engine than what the internationals need. They also have all the computer crap which can be bad if something does go wrong. All the ones I have seen don't have cruise control but a couple of them had tilt and telescope steering wheel, which used a foot padel up on the firewallleft of the brake pedal.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

U-HAUL: I think you want a bus but need some kind of reassurance that you aren't nuts and getting in deeper water than you know how to swim in. I felt the same way when I bought my bus on ebay, flying to Salt Lake City to get it, during all the trouble I had trying to get it back, especially when I just wanted to burn it where it sat and hitchhike home, and of course during all the work that I had to do to get it ready to go camping. I see each hurdle as another episode in my skoolie book of education. I learned so much about RV's/skoolies, their construction, what makes they function, but especially why each and every one one of us use this forum and all for the same reason, to manufacture a machine that fullfills our wants, needs and especially dreams. If you don't do it you will never know what your capable of, the experience of doing it, the knowledge that you will learn by going where no sane person would go and the joy of beaming with pride as you show your friends, relatives, and doubters your labor of love. No money can replace the feeling of doing it yourself exactly the way you wanted it in your dreams; you can't BUY what you want. Ah I certainly had my doubting Thomas', my looks from hell, my what did I get myself into thoughts. You are going to make mistakes, screw stuff up, second guess yourself on this and that, setbacks, but when you finish your labor of love you will read between the lines of each and every skoolie on this website you will understand it all. You will look back on this moment like an adult looks back on his/her transformation from a child, from an unknowing to the all knowing, an apprentice to a journeyman. Ask anyone on this website if they regret doing it and few will say yes, most will say NEXT TIME I will do it better. What the hell are you waiting for, GO FOR IT! ! ! ! sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote