Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
upgrading to windows 10

I'm an old die hard Window 7 person.... when I got the alert that I can upgrade to windows 10 for free I (finally) broke down & said "go for it".

Now I tried windows 8, actually bought a new laptop with it installed and after about a month...I sent it back.

Right now Microsoft is downloading it, very, very, very slowly I might add as I have used up my 7G's data for the month and I am in the extra slow mode which is what you get for free when you use up your prepaid. I can't wait to see how long it takes to download.

I'll probably wait till next month to do the actual install, because it'll happen much quicker and truthfully I'm in no hurry to get online with it.

Is anyone else out there going through the same. I'll be curious to hear others views on this new upgrade.

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
No temptation here.
Of everyone I know I have the least computer knowledge, yet the fewest computer problems or issues by far.
My custom PC and WIndows 7 are working phenomenally so no temptation at all!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Bus Geek

especially since 10 can be monitored and info saved by microsoft, read fine print and see what you agreed to
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm all Mac so no temptation here. ;)
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
especially since 10 can be monitored and info saved by microsoft, read fine print and see what you agreed to
Yep, also note that your cell phone provider does the same, and most apps grab and sell data gathered .

Ugh
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Yup,
I still like XP though and just now had to upgrade my phone, 5 years perfect service and then sprint drops the myfi or what ever the old thing was and now is 4g lte or spark..whatever and I hate my new phone!
it is too "in touch" with everything, son and wife love theirs...me not so much
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
I still use xp on on my 2 laptops.
I really like windows 7 though.... It's probably my Favorite. I do have Win10 though on my custom built PC, I like it beter than win8. It's 3 Dell optiplex 390 that I put together.
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Still running XP but it does have serious security issues. My operating system is infected with really annoying adware that no one can remove. I will have to to upgrade at some point but not before the "buy in, de-bug" cycle has cleared many hurdles. Really need a new puter...mine is about 10 years old.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I can remove it for you. Also, check your pm's....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
I build my own PC's and had an xp computer for 7 years virus free. went to windows 8 and hated the **** out of it, downgraded to windows 7 on my new custom pc and love it, just a bit more updated but will never replace good ol' XP.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Linux has a version (flavor) that looks and feels like XP. Beats fighting virus and such. I may go back to Linux when I have an issue with 7. Not yet tho, waiting for their answer to Win 10.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
My upgrade (from Win 7) is loading as we speak. I like 7, 8 not so much, but 10's free and I have time to fool with the inevitable Version 1.0 goofiness. I also imaged my drive before updating, just in case.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree with Tango, let them work out the issues then upgrade...but I decided to just go for it.

I LOVED XP but my boat anchor just couldn't keep up with the times. I upgraded all I could and still had many programs (don't ask/don't remember) that I wasn't able to load. I went wireless at home and had to deal with all the little doo-keys I had to buy since my PC didn't support wireless.

That's when I decided to just bite the bullet and go with a new laptop (which also would fit in better in the bus). Unfortunately I also had to deal with Win7 which came with it. Many days & nites swearing & screaming till I finally made friends with it. I now can say I don't remember what it was about XP that I loved. I imagine it'll become the same with Win7 once I make friends with Cortana.

BTW: My download has failed 2 times now. I am just going to wait till I get my new allotment of data for the month & try again. I think it may have to do with my MalwareBytes program (which makes you wonder).

As far as "THEM" watching me & tracking me and counting my keystrokes. Come on boys & girls, if your not doing anything wrong then you shouldn't give a rats azz who's watching you.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

My desktop upgrade went smoothly, even to the point of retaining my bus wallpaper and desktop files. All my programs work but my Mahjong Titans game has disappeared (boo, hissss). The new interface is different but not too jarring. Lots of new apps that want you to log on to Microsoft networks.

I use my laptop far more than the desktop so I'll wait awhile before upgrading it but so far, so good.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Well, it's done. I'm now on Win10 and I think "I hate it, but it hopefully will grow on me"

I couldn't find where to "log off"

I couldn't find my "favorites list"

I've since learned how to log off without just hitting the power button on my PC

I've since found my "favorites list" but not sure yet how I did it.

Win10 DOES have a great search function, which I find I have to use all the time.

It does have quite a few new functions that I'm sure, once I get use to them will really like.

I don't like the fact that the "button" on the bottom of my screen DOESN"T seem to toggle me back & forth from 10 to 7 as I thought it would...that really sucks big time.

I appreciate that I have the time to play with it and will get use to it quickly but if you don't have the time.....save the dime.

I had problems logging in here & actually got locked out for trying to many times, then I had to get a new password & all that fun crap. I tried to post but when I hit the "submit" button I had been logged out & had to write this all over again.

Duh!!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
I couldn't find where to "log off"
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Thanks...I did a right click on the start button and it showed me the old way to log off.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Figured I'd take advantage of free wifi at son's house, so far not too bad except 10 doesn't recognize my nvidia display card.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
To turn off all that monitoring/sharing click the Start icon then click Settings then Privacy.

I turned off most everything.

Edit: I also turned off Wi-fi Sense in the Settings>Network & Internet>Wifi tab.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #20
Bus Nut

I was able to go to all my sites (via favorites list) to check monthly payments due and have managed to get to my bank & paid them all. Yahoo, big hurdle jumped.

Now that I can EASILY find my favs I am one happy camper. It turns out to be much quicker & easier than before. So far so good.

I have checked for & have gone into all the happy places I go to throughout the day without a hitch. The only place I had a problem was here and I just had to go thru the verify I'm a human and get a new password then change my new password etc.

Today, logging in here was a piece of cake.

I love the "adding to my favorites" function, so easy and right there for when I want to add a site.

The more I play with it, as I said before, the easier it's getting and actually much quicker than trying to learn Win8. I must have sat around for a month trying to get comfortable with Win8 before I just packed up the new PC & sent it back.

So far so good, everything is still where I left it when on Win7 (It just takes a little hunting & pecking to find it and remember where & how I found it.)