Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Using Hydrochloric/Muriatic acid to remove rust

Y'all had any good results from this? Of course I'm talking about a 8:1/7:1 ratio, water to muriatic acid.

m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I used straight Muriatic to "pickle" much of the raw, hot rolled steel I have applied to my bus. It will remove both rust & scale but absolutely MUST be handled with respect at that concentration. I have also used it for many years for a variety of effects on cement & masonry.

But it MUST be used properly.

Also VERY important...if you plan on diluting with water...
you must add/introduce the acid into the water. Never pour water into acid. Sounds odd but it is true. Pouring water into acid can cause it to spontaneously boil violently ( read as "explode" in your face). There is even an old mason's mnemonic used to remind apprentice's of this potential...

"Do like you oughter'...add acid to water."

And whatever concentration you employ...stay upwind. Better yet...use a fan to control its' direction. Even a whiff of full strength fumes can totally wipe your sense of smell. And...for what I hope are obvious reasons...eye protection and long acid resistant gloves are a must.
Am I trying to scare you? Yes. Handled properly, acid is a great tool for many uses. Used carelessly, its' effects can last for the remainder of a very unpleasant lifetime.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Phosphoric acid is less aggressive to both metal and skin (you still don't want it splashed on you). It converts the rust into iron phosphate that acts as a good base for primer and paint. Ospho is a popular brand name but most paint shops have it under their own brand name, usually "metal prep", "rust converter" or something similar.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Phosphoric acid is less aggressive to both metal and skin (you still don't want it splashed on you). It converts the rust into iron phosphate that acts as a good base for primer and paint. Ospho is a popular brand name but most paint shops have it under their own brand name, usually "metal prep", "rust converter" or something similar.
I've seen incredible things done with Ospho. Off brands are just as effective?
m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Will this stuff get into the spaces between two rusted beams and convert that rust too? There is a shuttle that exactly fits my needs except the beams under the floor and the frame members in the body are pretty damned rusty. I am willing to remove the floor and interior walls to sand-blast most of the rust off the frame and the beams. However, I am very concerned that the rust between the frame and the exterior skin, as well as the rust between the transverse beams and the main, longitudinal beams would continue to fester.
GrantRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote