Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Ah, here we go.

The Thermasan System

Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #42
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
cool! now im thinking garbage disposal rigged to exhaust, and blow the waste right out onto tailgaters.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Sounds pricey also if only using vehicle exhaust, sounds like you may need to be doing a lot of traveling just to get rid of the sewage. And then what about your grey water. Or are you just after the "cool" factor?

I think you all need to be asking yourselves a few questions and really get realistic about it.

HOW are you going to be using your bus? Whether you will be using it fulltime or parttime (extended stays or weekending).

When you are in your bus, where will you be parked? Unless you are boondocking/drycamping/wallydocking or whatever they call it now, I call it freedom parking) you will often, not always have a dump site (free or pay)relatively close. I use the sanidumps website and a POI to find dump stations if needed. Dump stations also tend to have potable drinking water (I filter everything that goes into my fresh tank).

In what area will you be using your bus mostly? Some places you can "dribble grey water (mostly out west and in low demand areas). Most others is a huge no-no and can get you arrested.

The answers to these questions will help you determine what goes into your bus. Dumping human waste, especially in large amounts, tends to get you in trouble. While there are some of you I would love to see in jail, I think that would put a damper on any trip.

Since I have never been outside of the US except once, and I have limited camping/RVing experience outside of the crowed SE campgrounds (mostly public parks, but some private), that is what I will base my conclusions on.

In the US, there are many places where you are not allowed to "dribble" your grey water on the ground and rightly so. I have been assigned a site in a public park where the previous occupant "dribbled" their grey water before leaving (and I'm assuming during their entire stay). The previous occupant of the site was in an RV which means large tanks. Apparently all they did was let the grey water puddle up on the site. It was stinky and left a muddy mess. They apparently left a few hours before we got there and the campsite was unusable due to the mud for most of a week. Granted this was in the Southern Appalachians (N. Georgia) where the campgrounds experience heavy use most of the year and some all of the year.

One of my favourite NF campgrounds had an RV and tenters (I think they were together) that decided the walk to the bathhouse was a bit too far. I didn't turn them in but someone else did and I don't blame them. We were all up in the Pear Tree Hill loop (it's a loop that we liked to stay in). Apparently the RV strung it's sewer hose from the RV, over the embankment and out into the woods. The tenters were just going in the woods (TP everywhere). I don't know what happened to them but the Forest Service rangers handcuffed the tenters and one of the RVers and the whole lot were moved out in less than 1 hour. We didn't smell them but someone in the loop we were in apparently did. But it also rained more than not. In other words, normal camping weather for us.

This was an 80 site campground with a sewer dump. Max time limit is 21 days. There was no reason for them to be dumping out on the ground. If they couldn't go 21 days with out dumping, then they needed to invest in a sewer tote or move their RV.

I have been in COE campgrounds where others have "dribbled" grey water. Even in the grey water pits for the tenters, in the hot summers in the South East, stinks. When we were tenters (1979 - 1987), we caught our grey water and dumped it in the huge sink at the bathhouse rather than on the ground. Once we got the pop-up, we caught the grey water in a 5 gallon jug and dumped it in the sewer dump or the big sink at the bathhouse.

Only dumped grey water on the ground once. That was because the park rangers at Tims Ford SP asked us to do so after asking what kind of dish soap we used (we were in the popup still). It was year 4 or 5 of a 7 year long drought. They showed us where to run the hose out to so the trees could get some water.

I have never camped on BLM land out here in NM. It holds no interest for me. David & I did check out a BLM campground (Datil Well $5) for two reasons. #1 we were passing by going to/from the Pie Festival in Pie Town (checked out the free city park while there)and just had to check it out. #2 it is close to the VLA that we wanted to see. Never made it there. We had planned on going this summer. Either taking the bus on a long route (Roswell, to Silver City, to the Catwalk, to VLA then to Soccoro then back to Roswell) or visiting Das Mel and making a daytrip up there. I think Das Mel & I will simply make a daytrip from Socorro up to the VLA before we leave NM.

I have serious concerns about ecoli and various drugs that pass thru the human body into the wastes. My thing is I take precautions and dispose of any waste I generate, bodily, "grey" and "garbage", properly. NM looks like a landfill with all the garbage blowing around. I prefer to not contribute to the situation. I also do not burn any trash. I'm from the rural south and my family did it's fair share of burning in a location that did not have a garbage disposal system in place for the general population. Burning trash is illegal in many places now as well as unwise. Composting is a better solution to disposing of the burnable trash (adding poo to it as well), yet I haven't seen anyone pushing a vehicle mounted waste composter (here's 3 DIY from MEN). It seems to me a tumbler composter would be a cheaper and lower cost way to go. It will still take about 10 weeks to create good safe compost in a tumbler (despite what advertising may say).

Leave no trace. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
Ah, here we go.

The Thermasan System
Ok so why not just remove your muffler run a striaght pipe into the bottom of your holding tank (proably a good idea to use a steel one) then run a pipe from the very top of the tank?? use your heat to boil off waste
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #45
Site Team

reckon dehydrated turd could be used for stove fuel?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #46
Site Team

lorna, not looking for cool, looking for function. if it happens to have some cool factor, then great. thinking out loud, but the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention" comes to mind. thats the way all the motorcycles i built were, form follows function!