Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

waste solutions?

I'm curious how everyone organizes and deals with waste, more so general trash and recyclable than grey water/human waste but those too.

I'm building my tiny little kitchen and trying to figure out the best way to organize and separate, and then what to do with waste when i accumulate it.

Does anyone compost in their bus? What about burnables for those with wood stoves?

Anyone build a clever organized waste space to share?

Thanks

marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
I'm curious how everyone organizes and deals with waste, more so general trash and recyclable than grey water/human waste but those too.

I'm building my tiny little kitchen and trying to figure out the best way to organize and separate, and then what to do with waste when i accumulate it.

Does anyone compost in their bus? What about burnables for those with wood stoves?

Anyone build a clever organized waste space to share?

Thanks
I burn everything that's not metal in my wood / coal stove. Onion peels, my poop, food wrappers, plastic bottles with no return deposit, ect. I eat a lot of canned fish, so I toss the cans in the stove to burn the stink out of them. After they are in there for a hour, I remove them next time I load the stove. After they cool, I put them in my metal bag. This way they don't stink me out.

After my metal bag is full, I toss it in the trash anywhere I go.

Pee get's done in a bucket for now. It get's dumped 100 yards from my shed. I also spread it out so nature can deal with it. Too much of anything in one spot is bad.

Gray water just get's dumped anywhere for now. I'm out in the woods.

Without burning everything I can, garbage adds up quick.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I have a friend that pees around the perimeter of his garden to keep deer from getting into his crops. He swears it works. I always compliment him on how yellow his corn on the cob is. hahaha
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
I use a Kingsford Charcoal caddy for my trash can and it uses tall kitchen trash bags. Bought it at Lowes in NC to use on the food cart. The lid snaps securely closed so trash doesn't spill if it falls over. I currently have it sitting under the sink. I glued a couple neodydium magnets on the inside of the lid so that the lid will stay open when it hits the neodydium magnet on the bottom of the cast iron sink. It stands about 20" tall, 10" wide at the top and 19" deep (not counting the handle on the back). It clears the drain of the far left sink bowl by about 3/16". I have yet to find a good replacement in the time since the sink was installed (it's a big deep sink). Trash cans tend to be either too tall or too small. Here is a link to one like what I have but you should be able to buy at places that sells the charcoal in bags... http://www.amazon.com/Buddeez-Kingsf...charcoal+caddy

To dispel any silly ideas that I don't actually have this container and just took an image off the 'net. Here are some pics of the container under the sink.

This shows the clearance for the sink drain

This shows the little magnet stuck on the bottom of the sink bowl. The one glued inside the can lid mates up to this magnet. It's strong enough to hold it open but weak enough to easily flip the lid down.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
I like what you did Lorna, but I can't take up that much space.

I think the big question is "But where do you empty it".....dipsy doodle dumpsters behind stores are illegal for me to just "take out the trash". Where are you taking your trash?

I have a neighbor that says he's been taking a plastic shopping bag filled from trash at home and giving it back to the grocery stores he got it from....filled a bag or two at a time. I guess that's a possiblilty.

Is this what we are reduced to, when we are not camping or staying at an RV park?
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

In the RV parks and campgrounds, I toss it in the provided trash containers. When we were living at my parent's land in NC, we did with it what we did when we lived in a house there and in TN and SC... tossed in the county dumpsters. Ask at a nearby convenience store where the closest place is that you can toss your trash if you are in a rural area. If urban, then ask where the county dump is or call the county dump or waste management outfit and ask where a place is that you can toss your household trash. When we are in a new place we simply ask "Where's the nearest dumpsters so we can throw away our trash" and then we find the place.

For Gainesville GA (and yes, I know where that is) they have landfills there too. If you can't ask at a nearby convenience store, try calling the county landfill.

Quote:
Newcomers Guide to Hall County | AccessNorthGa.com
Gainesville Public Utilities Department 300 Green Street
Gainesville, GA
Phone: (770) 535-6878

Keep America Beautiful Curbside trash pick-up.
Website: http://www.keephallbeautiful.org/pdfs/AwayWithWaste.pdf

Solid Waste For Gainesville city residents, twice weekly pick-up of household garbage and curbside service for general rubbish and/or recycling is provided at a low monthly fee. County residents outside of Gainesville should contact private contractors or carry trash to any of ten compactor sites located throughout the area. Recycling containers are provided at the compactor sites for your convenience.

Gainesville Solid Waste Division 263 Alta Vista Road
Gainesville, GA
Phone: (770) 532-049

Hall County Landfill Candler Road
Gainesville, GA
Phone: (770) 531-6851

Recycling For more information on recycling, contact the Hall County Resource Recovery Department at
Phone: (770) 535-8284
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Bus Geek

All great info.

There is no way I'm driving anywhere to dump my garbage.

That's why I burn 95%.

I use the big contractor bins at my job sites for the bag of metal food cans per month.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Oh I know where the local compactors are as I have been hauling my trash since 1996. I'll be damned if i'm gonna pay someone to pick it up. I think that's how most people feel, hence the number of pickup trucks on the road.

appreciate the other suggestions....actually even though of just putting it when you see "trash day" activity while driving down the road. After all....isn't your trash suppose to become public domain once it's on the curb? At least that's what they say when trying to sell you shredders and other identity protection devices.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

burning poop? is this for real?! Tell me more!

Also, from what I've read, I think my stove might work for burning coal as it has a grate and an external air source from beneath, but I'm not sure.

I like the idea of burning what I can, but also being pretty urban I don't want to attract more attention than a chimney sticking out of a van already does...
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Don't burn poop if you aren't in the middle of the wilderness, like nat. Your neighbors may not like you very much.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Don't burn poop if you aren't in the middle of the wilderness, like nat. Your neighbors may not like you very much.
My stove burning my poop smells less than a houses sewer vent pipe.

It smells far less than someone in a RV emptying their black water tank.

As long as you have a bed of hot coals, the water in the human matter quickly evaporates. The remaining matter is incinerated to nothing but less than a spoon full of ashes in less than 5 min. The ash now completely sterile mixes with the other ashes in the stove.

How is this any different than buying a incinerating toilet?

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh on this. Being able to safely, cleanly incinerate our wastes is a big part of being able to live without water hookup.

Adding your human waste to water adds the ability for pathogens to grow and multiply. Storing it in tanks with water compounds this problem. Adding a bunch of deadly chemicals to try to reduce the odor is not safe for humans or the environment. Then at the waste treatment plant, more deadly chemicals are added before releasing it back into the fresh water system. Throughout the entire system, the risk of spreading disease and pathogens are present. Fire cures this all.

As I have said before and will many times again. The western world using out fresh water to carry our wastes to our water natural water systems, is the biggest failure of modern technology.

Fresh water will be the most valued resource in the next 50 years. Flushing it down the toilet will not be in man kinds long term future.

Nat

Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Burning your excrement in anything not really designed for such use is pretty irresponsible if living in close quarters with others. But yeah if Im in the middle of nowhere, I'll pretty much burn anything. No worries. But not everyone is in a position to be burning their poo like you.
I take it from your comment that you don't know how water treatment facilities work, or what fertilizers are often made from.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
burning poop? is this for real?! Tell me more!

Also, from what I've read, I think my stove might work for burning coal as it has a grate and an external air source from beneath, but I'm not sure.

I like the idea of burning what I can, but also being pretty urban I don't want to attract more attention than a chimney sticking out of a van already does...
I need to do a how to on burning coal..........

If you have people around you, and your staying long term, Don't burn coal. Or only burn a few bread loaf size chunks to get you through the night without having to get up in the night.

I have gotten good at keeping my fire hot, with minuscule smell. However, if the coal is wet, the fire burns down to far before reloading, ect, the coal can smell really really bad.

If we had coal stoker stoves, the burn would always be perfect temperature, creating no smell.

One day I hope to build a simple 20 volt dewalt powered coal stoker stove of off grid use. It would be small the stove only 16 inches tall, 12 inches in diameter, and burn all night with constant heat. I just don't have the time and money right now. All resources have to go into my bus build.

Nat

Old 02-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Burning your excrement in anything not really designed for such use is pretty irresponsible if living in close quarters with others. But yeah if Im in the middle of nowhere, I'll pretty much burn anything. No worries. But not everyone is in a position to be burning their poo like you.
I take it from your comment that you don't know how water treatment facilities work, or what fertilizers are often made from.
There are three kinds of people in this world. The sheeple, the wolves, and the sheep dog.
The sheeple don't think for themselves. They only read direction, and do as they are told. They feel this removes them from any accountability in their actions.
The wolf is often the one making the rules and writing the directions. They bend and change the rules for their own personal gain, stepping on the throats of anyone to gain wealth.
The sheep dog is a rare breed. They think beond the norm, always pushing for more knowledge. After all, knowledge is the only way to protect the sheep from the wolf.

We live in a age of physiological warfare. You have to think beond the norm to make it in this world. If you didn't want to think beond, why are you on a skoolie conversion site?

I know how the waste treatment plants here work, I know nothing of where you live.

Nat

Old 02-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Here is a "tiny house" take on burning poo indoors.
Everyone Poops. Tiny House Toilet Options. | Clothesline Tiny Homes
Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I need to do a how to on burning coal..........

If you have people around you, and your staying long term, Don't burn coal. Or only burn a few bread loaf size chunks to get you through the night without having to get up in the night.

I have gotten good at keeping my fire hot, with minuscule smell. However, if the coal is wet, the fire burns down to far before reloading, ect, the coal can smell really really bad.

If we had coal stoker stoves, the burn would always be perfect temperature, creating no smell.

One day I hope to build a simple 20 volt dewalt powered coal stoker stove of off grid use. It would be small the stove only 16 inches tall, 12 inches in diameter, and burn all night with constant heat. I just don't have the time and money right now. All resources have to go into my bus build.

Nat
I've never even SEEN coal, man.
I'm running my ac right now, its 80f out.
Short shorts weather my friend!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've never even SEEN coal, man.
I'm running my ac right now, its 80f out.
Short shorts weather my friend!
If I got as much good weather as you, my bus would be done.

I can't paint here for 8 months of the year.

Nat

Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Radically different places, man.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Someone in the neighbourhood across from the RV park I live in has a poo burner. I would really like to know who they are and pay them a visit.

I think some people go "nose blind". Like some never smell the cat litter box in their house or RV. I think this when I read about the people who put their poopy TP in the trash can rather than down the RV toilet. And when I use the public bathroom at work. The minute I open the door I know if someone has put poopy TP in the little waste can in the stall. Contrary to what they think, yes their poo REALLY does stink.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
Bus Nut

1984 ?????

Well Nat_ster, we'll find out soon enough if burning your poop is illegal or not. Let us know if you get a knock on the door from the department of health.

Ever since I commented on this thread I've been bombarded with "dumpster" advertisements all over my pages here. It's either that or Lornas post on the dumpster locations here in Gainesville.

Don't know...but something triggered this as I have not done a search lately on dumpsters so the only thing I can figure is

"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING US"