Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Weight of empty Reefer?

So, can anyone tell me the weight of an empty refer?
I also need the weight that would be placed on the fifth wheel.

Basically, I want to weld a bumper tow setup to a refer so that it can get pulled by the skoolie.
YES, I WANT TO TOW A REEFER 75KM BEHIND A SKOOLIE!!!!

This will be a one time thing, just to get it home, slowly, along back roads.

Advice please....

Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Wait.. so you want to put a bumper-pull coupler onto the front of a fifth wheel type trailer..? That seems like a "Bad Idea!" Any chance you could borrow a dolly aka converter gear? Those will often have a lunette ring for pulling, and they're designed to carry most of the pin weight of the 5er so that the pintle on the towing vehicle is carrying little of the trailer's weight. If not borrow, then maybe create one by rigging a fifth wheel onto the deck of a conventional bumper-pull trailer..?

How long a reefer are you talking? 27 ft? 53 ft? Here is a table of various trailers. They list a typical 53 ft reefer as 15,500 pounds tare. I'm not very good at visually estimating weight distribution, but this place recommends pin weight should be 18%-20% of the trailer weight. Supposing that holds for the big 5ers too, and that it's balanced that way even empty (don't forget there's a heavy reefer bolted onto the front wall), then maybe it's in the neighborhood of 3000 pounds pin weight?

The rear axle(s) on the reefer might be adjustable, and sliding them as far forward as possible will reduce the tongue weight. Supposing a hitch arrangement can be crafted to carry that load.. a pintle and lunette maybe; I'm not sure a ball type coupler would survive carrying so much tongue weight.. it will also unload the front axle possibly to the point that steering doesn't work reliably.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Yeah, I thought it was a "bad idea"! (Defenatly not an understatement)
3000 lbs pin weight is way more than I can handle.

I often have ideas like this, this one just seemed to stick. Maybe I should start a bad idea thread!

As for converter gear, I looked into it, no one would rent me one as A. I don't have a class 3 (CDL) and my bus has hydrolic breaks, so there would not be any breaks.

I'm now thinking a bigass farm tractor for the reefer, or just getting a 40ft sea can. That might just work better as I do know a guy who has a 25 foot heavy equipment trailer, who is willing enough to have me borrow it.

Another problem I just now realised, the feild is 6mi off the provincial highway, on narrow back roads and 2 really narrow turns.
The reefer would never make it around the corners, and I would have to basically drag it with the second bus..... Far too complicated.

Thank for that weight link though.
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Moi
Engine: 444e...7.3L
Rated Cap: 36
I know in Canada you need to place the 5th wheel receiver over the axle. You would need a custom jeep that hitchs on a bumper pull and has a 5th wheel hitch on top. In Canada this combo is illegal. If you could do it big rig style you might get away with an A train style jeep. A good used jeep will go for about 2000 bucks if your lucky. I don't want to even look at the hd mechanics face for a A train jeep hook up to be welded to the back of your bus....but it might be possible. Hmmm....
rock649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Why not just pay a trucker a couple dollars to pull it for you? I think that is the best/ easiest route.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock649 View Post
I know in Canada you need to place the 5th wheel receiver over the axle.
Not true.

On anything 3 ton and up, the fifth wheel hitch can be 3 to 5 feet behind the axle to help distribute weight, and cause the rear trailer to track wider around the corners.

Here in Alberta, 65 feet is our max combined length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock649 View Post
You would need a custom jeep that hitchs on a bumper pull and has a 5th wheel hitch on top. In Canada this combo is illegal. If you could do it big rig style you might get away with an A train style jeep.
I'm not sure why your calling it a jeep. This will just mix people on here up.

We call the "Tow Buddy"

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tow+b...P2xCNoqX3SM%3A

For for a one time pull on a dirt road, none of this would matter to me.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
if you are talking semi Reefer trailer 48 feet long, with the unit is weighs close to 17,000 pounds, used to pull them
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
My advice to you if you were.....to try this; before and after pictures!!!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Yes please on the pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote